Does the CDC Have Something to Do With the Katrina Mess?

Craig

Full time employment: Posting here.
First, I well recognize this may be perceived as conspiratorial ... but I'm interested in hearing other opinions, and perhaps confirmation.

I live in a part of the country where healthcare is a major part of the economy ... and today I heard a fascinating story, from a very solid, highly-placed source in that industry.

On Fox, CNN, etc. we're hearing commentator after commentator saying they cannot understand why so many of these poor people in NOLA are not being evacuated, why it is taking so long, why they won't at least let them walk away to get out of this mess and so on.

Today I heard an interesting perspective that may explain quite a bit.

This source indicates the CDC (Center for Disease Control) has requested, ordered, influenced the situation ... they have discouraged allowing these people to leave, because they could transport disease to all parts of the country.  Instead, they want these people kept together, moved as a body, and tracked in case there is a major disease outbreak.

Again ... this isn't something I heard on the 'net, and it isn't from a janitor that works in a hospital ... it's from a healthcare exec, highly placed.

Any opinions, confirmation, etc.?

I've been wondering why I haven't heard anything about CDC yet. I was expecting them to make noise after 36 or so hours that the refugee camps should be moved to sanitized areas to prevent contagious diseases from incubating there in the filth.

I'm trying to remain objective, but this small noise in my head grows with each piece of news I read. It says the federal government may be systematically ignoring these people because mostly they're poor. I haven't wanted to believe that, and there are many reasonable explanations for why it's the poor hit the hardest, but my suspicion is growing enough that I dare to type it here now. Perhaps there is a partisan component to this mess after all?

Thank God for the guarded bus convoys that finally arrived and the surrounding states willing to take on the refugees.

Charles said:
. . .This source indicates the CDC (Center for Disease Control) has requested, ordered, influenced the situation ... they have discouraged allowing these people to leave, because they could transport disease to all parts of the country.  Instead, they want these people kept together, moved as a body, and tracked in case there is a major disease outbreak. . .

Any opinions, confirmation, etc.?
I have trouble believing this. The trouble I have with this conspiracy theory: 1) Secrets of this order of magnitude are pretty tough to keep. A lot of people would have to know this was going on and agree to keep their mouths shut. 2) It requires more strategy and planning than I give this administration credit for.

No. I'll stick with incompetence as the most likely cause of the poor execution. :)

((^+^)) SG said:
I have trouble believing this. The trouble I have with this conspiracy theory: 1) Secrets of this order of magnitude are pretty tough to keep. A lot of people would have to know this was going on and agree to keep their mouths shut. 2) It requires more strategy and planning than I give this administration credit for.

No. I'll stick with incompetence as the most likely cause of the poor execution. :)

I couldn't agree more. Having been a Fed for 32 years, I can tell you there is no way a large federal agency can carry out any kind of extensive conspiracy. Something ALWAYS leaks. Incompetence yes, conspiracy no.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom