Eagle nest cams

Very nice! I like the closeup view.
I've followed the Pittsburgh's Hays Bald Eagle Cam for a couple years, the first active nest in about 150 years (according to the website). They are not active now, I guess its a bit chilly.

Unbelievably, a pair took up residence a few years ago right in the city of Raleigh, NC, next to a small flood control lake. It has become a small tourist attraction. Walkers and photographers from all over come to the walking path at the lake.

A few weeks ago they returned and are working on the nest. I don't know what happens in the fall, but they take off and go somewhere. Anyway, they are back and an egg should be laid soon. Until then, each of the eagles separately fly off and sometimes decide to land on one of the tall pines in our neighborhood! Usually just to do a little preening.

Once the egg is laid, this stops and they are very close to the nest.

The tree and infrastructure is fragile enough that I know of no plans for a cam on this nest. It is in a natural tree, one of the tallest pines around. The city has enough trouble making sure bozos are not flying drones around there.

Anyway, fascinating creatures! As a child, the eagle population was at a low, and I never dreamed I'd see a bald eagle, let alone one in my neighborhood!

Last edited:
Very nice! I was ice fishing a few days ago. I seen where someone left a Pike laying on the ice it wasn't long and a Bald circled a few times and came down and took off with the frozen pike. It flew and landed upon a transmission pole and placed the frozen fish right on top of that pole and flew off.

I'm sure it came back to retrieve the fish later.

Today I went to the ranch and did some work and on the way out there was two goldens in the brush not to far from the trail. I would imagine they have something there they are feasting on. I will check it out the next time.

I love eagles and have watched a few nests over the years. I spend hours watching them with spotting scopes etc..

Thanks for the live cam.

Not sure if any of you have witnessed their mating ritual. If not google it and watch them in their love dance in the sky. I have seen them many times and always fascinating.

Last edited:
Very nice! I like the closeup view.
I've followed the Pittsburgh's Hays Bald Eagle Cam for a couple years, the first active nest in about 150 years (according to the website). They are not active now, I guess its a bit chilly.

If you live near the 'Burgh, have you seen the nest down at Canonsburg Lake, near McMurray?No camera, but you can see the nest behind my buddy's condo. I live about 4 miles away, and DW said that one of eagles flew over her head so close she could have hit it with a shovel. She was weeding in some bushes at the side of the house, and she thinks the eagle mistook her for a meal.

Thanks for posting the eagle cam link! I’ve been trying to photograph eagles for several years. I see several eagles on my hikes, but they are tough to photograph. Local conditions are such that their nesting areas are more than 100 yards from any points that I can access for photos. But one flew across our backyard yesterday. Amazing creatures.

Thanks for posting the eagle cam link! I’ve been trying to photograph eagles for several years. I see several eagles on my hikes, but they are tough to photograph. Local conditions are such that their nesting areas are more than 100 yards from any points that I can access for photos. But one flew across our backyard yesterday. Amazing creatures.

I got a few nice shots on my trip to Alaska few years back. Fortunately I had a fast lens
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful! Thanks to all for posting these wonderful links & photos.

glad you all like these !!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, here at base at mouth of Patuxent River we have quite a few eagle nest, it's wonderful walking up hole 12 and see an eagle up in tree laughing at you because you shanked your short chip shot ;-) And to watch Eagles and Ospreys fight, its great !!!

The cams are great, and you guys are great! Ya'll got me wondering if I should "blow that dough" and reawaken a hobby in photography, something I dabbled in 40 years ago.

... Because here's what a real amateur attempt with a point and shoot and slow lens looks like. :) Better than nothing?

Attachments

• snip.JPG
    snip.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 21
a real amateur attempt with a point and shoot and slow lens

But you had fun taking the shot anyway, right?

I'm also very, very amateurish, but with a somewhat better camera you can get somewhat better photos. Here's one I took in Alaska a few years ago.

DSC_0537.jpg

But you had fun taking the shot anyway, right?
Absolutely! And that would be the point. Have fun.

I know a few retired friends are trying to parlay the photo hobby into a second career. Them and 4 million others...

Not to take away from this tread but hope to add to it, with a Golden I got pictures of this fall at the ranch. The one picture of it flying I took with my phone. The other one I had a trail camera set up to get a few shots. This would of been an easy place for someone that wanted to photograph this Golden. Set up a ground blind and you would of been right in the action.

Attachments

• IMG_3248 (4).jpg
    IMG_3248 (4).jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 13
  • PICT0382 (3).jpg
    PICT0382 (3).jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 12
No, your not taking away, that's a great ADDITION. Why aren't there ever any GoldenCams? Because they are cliffs:confused: I'm looking, we'll get one up !!!!!!!

last year=

The cams are great, and you guys are great! Ya'll got me wondering if I should "blow that dough" and reawaken a hobby in photography, something I dabbled in 40 years ago.

... Because here's what a real amateur attempt with a point and shoot and slow lens looks like. :) Better than nothing?

It's not the quality of the photo that counts. It's the thrill of the hunt that matters.

This is prime time for eagles in northern Illinois. I took two of these photos last year on Jan 5, the other one on Jan 4, 2017. I think these are cell phone pics because I never have my camera when I see eagles.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • eagle1.jpg
    eagle1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 15
It is amazing where Goldens locate their nests. They are placed on rock ledges on side of mountain/cliffs etc. so nothing can approach that nest not even cougars. I just checked on one old nest that they have been using but it has broken away from the side of the mountain.
In my country this is the time of year they both work on the nest and prepare them. In March they lay their eggs.
I will be setting up a camera I hope this winter of a Bald on the river in hopes of some good pictures.

Ronstar >>> it is really amazing how well phone cameras capture and quality of a picture. Nicely done!
I have an assorted group of pictures from eagles with my phone and all are fairly good considering being taken with a cell phone. I don't have any other camera, though.

We have a nest somewhere near my house, we see them frequently "on stand" in our neighbor's cottonwoods. I've even seen one fishing clumsily just offshore, splashed into the lake and had to hop over to shore to dry off.

Every few years they have a new clutch, and we hear the juveniles "crying for mom" as they fly around. :D

This time of year, with the lake frozen over thickly, they usually head down to the Mississippi River, there's always some open water and hunting/fishing there. I'm guessing they'll be back in a couple of months.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/features/webcams/eaglecam/index.html
(not sure where in the state that one is)

There's also a falcon cam downtown. It hasn't been brought online yet for 2020, but here's the link: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/features/webcams/falconcam/index.html

Here are a few more of one grabbing a snack in Alaska.
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG

Attachments

• Adjustments.JPG
    Adjustments.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom