Electric Car poll

Do you ever see yourself buying a fully-electric car?

• Yes

Votes: 67 45.3%
  • Never

Votes: 24 16.2%
  • Maybe, depending on tax credits or other factors

Votes: 57 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

explanade

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a long thread on EVs but curious to see what the sentiment is overall.

If I ever get to the point where I just drive around town or a 100 mile radius I might get one. Primarily charging from home. Odds are time runs out and I never own one.

Seriously doubt it unless they increase the range, decrease the charging times and build out the infrastructure... Probably won't live that long. Hybird is a possibility though.

Last edited:
I voted "never" because I don't expect the things that deter me from considering them will be addressed to my satisfaction within my driving lifetime. If I were still young, I would have voted "maybe".

Seriously doubt it unless they increase the range, decrease the charging times and build out the infrastructure... Probably won't live that long. Hybird is a possibility though.

My thoughts exactly. Hybrid maybe, all electric doubtful.

Own one, won't get another ICE vehicle ever.

own a hybride now and would buy another. full electric not so much. not enought distance and tied to power grid. hybrid put gas in it and go one way or another. also what scuba a said above.

We purchased a Rav4 Plug-In Hybrid last year and love it. We can go about 40 miles on electric when fully charged and then get great gas mileage when it switches over to gas. We figured this would be the best compromise until the infrastructure for fully electric is in place.

I figure I have another 10 years until I can't be trusted driving. Maybe a used EV would be in the cards for just popping around the town if one of the cars needs to go.

Maybe, but range needs to be 600-700 miles, and charging needs to take less time than it does now, and there needs to be a lot more charging stations than there is now, and I need confirmation that I wouldn't need to replace the batteries in my lifetime.

Then I might consider buying one.

Thing about hybrid is that if you mostly drive in town and have a lot of stop and go driving of short trips, it doesn't help you that much.

At least that's what I recall when I was still working and I had a short commute.

There weren't any plug-in hybrids at the time but even now, most plug-in hybrids have about 20 miles of range or so. The RAV4 Prime is unfortunately still an outlier and it has been scarce because Toyota didn't source enough battery for it.

The third choice should have just been "maybe" or such, not mention anything about tax credits.

There needs to be a savings over the long term, including factoring in replacing those expensive batteries, while driving relatively low miles. And the heater would have to work very well and still get good range in the winter. I don't see it in my future anytime soon.

Last edited:
I figure I have another 10 years until I can't be trusted driving. Maybe a used EV would be in the cards for just popping around the town if one of the cars needs to go.

If they ever get self-driving working, it would probably be deployed on EVs, though instead of owning one, you'd be car-sharing so robo taxis.

Maybe, but range needs to be 600-700 miles, and charging needs to take less time than it does now, and there needs to be a lot more charging stations than there is now, and I need confirmation that I wouldn't need to replace the batteries in my lifetime.

Even with that kind of range, if you charge it full and didn't use it enough, battery life would just decline wouldn't it?

Even with that kind of range, if you charge it full and didn't use it enough, battery life would just decline wouldn't it?

I don't know. But I don't want to buy an electric car for trips if I have to find a charging station mid day, wait a while to plug in, wait another half hour just to gain another 200 miles worth.

I do know that my e-bike range has dropped about 20% in 2 years since I got it - maybe because I rarely use more than 50% of the charge and then plug in back to 100%

I'm going to be buying a basic AWD small SUV at the end of the month for about $26K taxes included. When I can buy an EV that has AWD, a somewhat higher riding height and a 7+ inch ground clearance for $26K or less then I will consider it. Maybe even as high as $30K in today's dollars.

I don't know. But I don't want to buy an electric car for trips if I have to find a charging station mid day, wait a while to plug in, wait another half hour just to gain another 200 miles worth.

I do know that my e-bike range has dropped about 20% in 2 years since I got it - maybe because I rarely use more than 50% of the charge and then plug in back to 100%

Yeah there is battery degradation.

But I was referring more to losing a certain small percentage of the charge if you don't use the car for a few days.

Gas degrades too but over a longer period.

Never for me due to limited charging stations where we live and long charging times for traveling. We have a PHEV now and that works well for us.

We're an older crowd so maybe that skews results.

But as people retire, even RE, do they do more long-distance driving now that they no longer work and can take longer trips?

Or do they eventually hit an age where they lose interest in long road trips, years before they stop driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom