Ereader 2023, recommendation?

SJhawkins

Recycles dryer sheets
Did a search and most threads I saw were fairly stale, if I missed one please point me in the right direction.

Been thinking of an ereader on and off for sometime. Never used one so consider myself clueless.

What I think I want:
Download books from the library.

Download books from other sources.

Able to read at night and outside.

Don't think I want to see ads unless its very very limited, think that would be a distraction for me.

Resize fonts would be very helpful, aging eyes!

What would be a decent ereader to cut my teeth on and learn the ropes with?

I did try using my tablet as ereader a couple of years ago and was not best experience, hoping a ereader would be better on the eyes and more enjoyable.

Cost, somewhat open, lessor the better being this is more of an experiment I guess. Don't want to be too cheap to ruin the experience either if that makes any sense.

I did some looking on YouTube, random searches, etc and it seems all over the place.

Thanks

I have a Kindle Oasis but the Kindle Paperwhite may be an excellent option for you. You can read outside, the font is adjustable for style and size. I download books for free from two libraries.

As for the “ads” it’s just a book suggestion based on what you have been reading. It’s a screen when the Kindle wakes and you just swipe to get past it. It has never intruded while I’m reading.

I use the Libby app to browse for books and put things on hold. When the book is available I click “Borrow” and it connects to Amazon for the free download. It’s downloaded to my Kindle but can also be sent to additional devices like my iPad, phone or even DHs kindle if it’s registered to the same Amazon account.

The Oasis is the deluxe one. The Paperwhite is very affordable. The “ink” is remarkable, much better than reading on an iPad.

I was resistant to giving up real books until I tried my son’s old Kindle (not a Paperwhite.) It took just one book and I was hooked. Then I waited for an Amazon Prime Day for a bargain. You can find older Kindles for a cheap price and give it a try. They can later be traded in at Amazon toward an upgrade.

Last edited:
Kindle seems to be the standard - or at least dominant.

Kindle (vs tablet) - many more hours (days) on kindle. Easier on eyes. Paper white has the auto dimming and font size, etc features.

Newer kindle signature edition has wireless charging option.

I have had various readers, and various kindles (regular, paper white, voyage, oasis)

I like the paperwhite signature edition for the wireless, and waterproof. I did not care for the page turning feature on oasis (or voyage) after a while.

I read a lot - hundreds of books per year. So, little things matter a lot to me - given the amount of time I spend.

Kindle Paperwhite user here. Older model, I think I got it in 2017. I love it. It does everything you are looking for in an e-reader. I understand the new ones have bluetooth connectivity if you are into audiobooks.

The ad content is only on the device's lock screen. You will only see it when you power on the device and before you swipe to open the e-reader. For most people that means you will see an ad for about 1-2 seconds per day.

I got this case, and I love it since it turns the Kindle into a hands-free device. Very nice for reading in bed as you can prop the Kindle up on your stomach and read! Or set it on the bed and read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQ75B24

I like my Paperwhite and I get compatible downloads from the library.

I'd pick the Kindle model that sounds like the best fit for you and your budget. I love my Paperwhite model, which is probably 5 years old or older now. Much better than reading on a tablet (for books). I also use the Libby app linked to 2 local library collections. I use the app on my iPhone to check books in and out. But it can redirect them to my Kindle for reading.

Another vote for the Kindle Paperwhite Signature.

I read my first ebook on my Samsung tablet, and didn't like it at all.

With the Kindle I can adjust the font size and the background color, which makes for a perfect reading experience.

I use my Kindle Oasis every single day at home, and I love it.

The only change is when I travel, where I use the Kindle app on my iPad. Almost the same experience, and one less gadget to carry.

I've been a Kindle user since 2007, and probably 70% of the books I read are on it. Another 25% from the library, and a few I actually buy on paper.

I highly recommend the basic Kindle that was updated in 2022. It is easy to read in direct sunlight but also has front lighting for reading in the dark. The cost to try it out is pretty low -- regular $99 but sometimes on sale for $75.

If you have no problem with the smaller size (generally) of the e-ink readers, get one of those. They are easier on the eyes and much more portable. I personally couldn't deal with the smaller text or, in the case of enlarging the text, fewer words per line.

The only tablet I am able to view for an extended period of time reading an eBook is the iPad Air (I suspect the iPad Pro 11" would be just as good, if not better). But that comes at a steep cost and, for some, too large of a "reader".

I personally couldn't deal with the smaller text or, in the case of enlarging the text, fewer words per line.

One of the things I learned with my e-reading is to see if there’s a way to scroll rather than flipping pages. I know I can do it on my iPad but I forget if it works on a Paperwhite. Scrolling works better with larger fonts and fewer words per line. With scrolling, you can just keep moving words into your sight zone and read rather quickly. I found there was just too much eye and head movement with a large font and flipping pages.

I highly recommend the basic Kindle that was updated in 2022. It is easy to read in direct sunlight but also has front lighting for reading in the dark. The cost to try it out is pretty low -- regular $99 but sometimes on sale for $75.

What are your thoughts on the 2023 for another $40, worth it?

I kind thank you to that posted too.

What are your thoughts on the 2023 for another $40, worth it?

I kind thank you to that posted too.

The extra $40 gets you some water protection, more choices on light settings and a slightly larger size (6.8 rather than 6 inches). These were not features that appealed to me as water is not an issue and the smaller size fits in my bag better with no real loss of readability. Note that the resolution is the same on both models.

One interesting fact is that the cheaper model has twice the storage of the more expensive model.

The base Kindle has more memory and costs less, but take note of a couple important things.

1. The Paperwhite has a nicer screen with 17 LEDs to light it up and can be color shifted from white to amber. Color shifting to amber is a nice feature to have when reading at night. I wish my 2017 Paperwhite had this feature. Screen size is bigger at 6.8" vs. 6" for the base Kindle. This might not seem like a lot but it will make a significant difference in the number of words that can fit on a page, meaning there will be less swiping of fingers to get to the next page. The Paperwhite has less prominent bezels surrounding the screen.

Kindle-Compare.jpg

2. The Paperwhite has a bigger battery. Amazon claims the base Kindle's battery will last "up to 6 weeks". The Paperwhite claims "up to 10 weeks." I think both are optimistic but there is a clear difference. I read on my Kindle Paperwhite about an hour a night and after 5 years I can still get about 4 weeks usage out of the battery. It was much better when it was new. Also, the charging port on the Paperwhite is USB C (can insert without orienting the plug up or down), whereas the charging port on the base model is USB A, meaning you have to get it properly oriented to plug it in.

3. The 8 GB in the Paperwhite is enough memory to store at least 3,000 books.

Like a cell phone, screen size, screen quality, and battery life are the most important factors here. (The other factor for a cell phone is the camera.) But I don't know if the differences are significant or if they are worth the extra $40. The amber lighting function would be nice to have.

Last edited:
For most e-reading, I used the Kindle app on my Galaxy Tab. A. Nice big screen. Good resolution etc.

However, inherited a Kindle Paperwhite from my wife and I do prefer that when reading outside.

Thanks everyone, going to get the current 8gig Paperwhite

Great choice! If you have any questions on how to use it or want to be walked through downloading ebooks from the library, see if your library can help out--our public library has people on staff who love to help patrons use their ereaders.

OP here, the Kindle showed up today, managed to get a book from the library on it, seems a little round about way to get loaded but was mostly painless.

It looks great, think I will enjoy it much more than the tablet. It's a little nuts how clear it is, the warm backlight at night is fantastic.

Sure will have more questions as I go, thanks to all for the help thus far.

I have had several Kindles, after a while the battery starts to die and you have to recharge more often. Also, having dropped mine too often, I do recommend one of those protective rubber cases that slip on. Makes a big difference!

Note for those with older Kindles: the newest Kindle Paperwhite with a 6.8” display, does NOT use the same power cable as previous Kindles. Very annoying......(altho the Kindle does come with one power cable that needs a USB connector).

Thanks everyone, going to get the current 8gig Paperwhite

Congratulations, One thing that I like about my Kindle Paperwhite is that I don't have to "swipe" it, I just tap right to go forward or tap left to go back. I also got a cover for mine that automatically put it to "sleep" when I close it and automatically "wakes" it up when opening it. I use BookBub a lot to find new stuff. I can curate it to send me suggestions for low cost and even free books. Good luck and good reading! :greetings10:

Note for those with older Kindles: the newest Kindle Paperwhite with a 6.8” display, does NOT use the same power cable as previous Kindles. Very annoying

The old kindles used a micro-USB connection.

The new ones use a USB C connection.

Pretty much all newer electronics are now using USB C. It’s the one standard charging connector for all devices. At least for now.

The nice thing about USB C is that there is no “up” or “down”. You can insert it either way.

Back
Top Bottom