frugal work clothes

Keep in mind you’re getting fashion tips from us “older” folks.
You need to fit in, so my suggestion is go to places like Banana Republic or Nordstrom’s Rack if you have one near by. Buy contemporary styles on sale. At least you’ll look like you put thought into it. There are no more rules for dress. You can wear brown shoes with black. Black shoes with brown. Just make sure the belt matches the shoes.
PRO tip. Find a brand that fits that you like and then search for that brand and size on eBay. I buy everything and anything I want on eBay at a fraction of retail. I just wait for my size in a brand I know that works for me and boom. I buy it. I rarely pay retail. I then sell my older clothes on eBay as well.

+1 Very thoughtful post.

Also will check Ebay to see if DW is selling my old clothes there

I like Goodwill and “Sal’s” - our family’s name for the Salvation Army. But in addition to checking for missing buttons, get in strong light and check for stains.

Are you sure you’re not female, size 12? I have so many work clothes I can’t possibly use!

As for the younger set, my young-adult kids love Uniqlo (online). My son-in-law especially; he is 6’2” and weighs somewhere around 130. Marathon runner. It’s hard for him to find clothes that fit. But the clothing is inexpensive and stylish.

The instructions sound clear, though. Khakis and any shirt with a collar, and button-down shirts on Those Special Days.

Last edited:
This

They’re paying you $13.50. Dress like they pay.

and this

On the plus side, if he's working with other men, no one will notice.

I can't believe an employer would even request any kind of dress code for a job and pay like this. Its a call center job, who is going to see you? Why would anyone care? Its like telling a radio announcer that you don't have the right face for the job. I would wear what you are comfortable with and clothing that you currently own until they tell you differently. Maybe by then you will have found another job that makes sense. Most employers now are happy to find someone who shows up on time, is willing to work and can speak in full sentences. I just cant see them firing someone for improper clothing.

Wardrobe for Opportunity can get you up to 3 outfits at free or heavily discounted price. This is where we donate our clothes once we retire. They keep the good stuff and give the questionable stuff to goodwill / salvation army

I no longer need that style. I still have several nice shirts and pants that I used to wear regularly. I also wore ties or sweaters. I still wear sweaters in the winter for church and some other occasions. I just put a dozen ties in a bag for the thrift store, but I still have 39 more that are waiting for me to attend a wedding or funeral. My #1 store for acquiring nice and comfortable work clothing was Penney’s. They have reasonable prices and always have something on sale. They carry several brands, I have found their own Stafford brand shirts are really nice.

If you go to the savers web page or the goodwill web page you can register for a membership. Then you will get email notices of sales. You will also get 'reward points' for every dollar you spend.

I am a bit limited as far as just buying off the rack. I need tall sizes when I buy long sleeve shirts and I need a 36 inseam. I also need to find shoes that are at least a size 15, maybe 16.

Yikes! You’ll need a part time job to support your wardrobe.

You could join your local Buy Nothing group on Facebook and post a request for the clothing items you need. It costs nothing and you might get a few things you can use.
Good luck in the new job!

There’s great deals to be had at Ross, Bealls, and TJ Max. Most clothes and shoes are at least half price.

For men's clothes, don't be proud. Goodwill, Salvation army, eBay, and local thrift stores will have terrific bargains. It will require a little shopping, but my husband got a Nautica jacket at the thrift store for under $10. If you have access to a Goodwill or other source near a ritzy neighborhood, will be amazed at the bargains. Good luck.

+1 Salvation Army and Goodwill have a lot of mens' dress clothing. Even Target has some really low prices on closeout merchandise.

When I retired a lot of really nice clothes went to Goodwill - if I had a moment of insanity and went back to work - God forbid - I’d not hesitate to go to Goodwill - at least until I decided how long I was going to stay at that job.

Keep in mind you’re getting fashion tips from us “older” folks.
You need to fit in, so my suggestion is go to places like Banana Republic or Nordstrom’s Rack if you have one near by. Buy contemporary styles on sale. At least you’ll look like you put thought into it. There are no more rules for dress. You can wear brown shoes with black. Black shoes with brown. Just make sure the belt matches the shoes.
PRO tip. Find a brand that fits that you like and then search for that brand and size on eBay. I buy everything and anything I want on eBay at a fraction of retail. I just wait for my size in a brand I know that works for me and boom. I buy it. I rarely pay retail. I then sell my older clothes on eBay as well.

Well, fwiw not all know that there aren't rules and some of them are managers. Considering the job you would think they could cut him some slack

Back
Top Bottom