• Cut off the cob and fried

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Don't eat corn on the cob

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come harvest time, we'd get the water boiling, then go down to the garden and pick a load. Then RUN up to the house, shucking on the fly. Back then the corn lost sweetness rapidly as soon as you picked it, so you wanted to get it into the boiling water as quickly as possible.

We would eat 6-8 ears apiece at one meal.

My Minnesota friends once took me to a small town in southern MN for the annual "Corn on the Curb Day". The deal was you bought a paper bag and went out into the fields and picked as many ears as would fit in the bag.
Then you came back to town where there were kettles of boiling water on the street corners. Boil your corn, make use of the butter and salt on the table with the kettle, and enjoy. No way you could have a better meal!
Wish I could remember the name of the town.

When DM’s GA family sent DF out into the fields to pick some corn for dinner, they were disgusted because in their opinion what he picked was only good for the livestock. He had learn to pick the most tender of the corn.

My Minnesota friends once took me to a small town in southern MN for the annual "Corn on the Curb Day". The deal was you bought a paper bag and went out into the fields and picked as many ears as would fit in the bag.
Then you came back to town where there were kettles of boiling water on the street corners. Boil your corn, make use of the butter and salt on the table with the kettle, and enjoy. No way you could have a better meal!
Wish I could remember the name of the town.

I am from southern Minnesota. Every year our town's Lion's Club would have a hog roast (the real deal, whole hogs cooked on a spit) with corn on the cob. My job was to take the cob of corn and dunk it in melted butter, put it on the customer's plate and politely ask " can I get you two or would you like to come back for another later ?

We charged about $5 bucks a plate and made enough money to buy a seeing eye dog for the Lions. Great times.

I'll bet you were around Olivia or Owatanna, MN Two big canning towns.

I have a freezer full of corn from my garden and use it all year. One of the greatest parts of ER for me is being able to raise my own food and cook on my terms. For DW and I a wonderful meal is garden vegetables with a little venison on the side.
Home made corn bread with honey from my neighbor's hives. A Grain Belt on a hot day while it's cooking. Life's great.

First I eat the end rows (rings around the ends), then from left to right in rows down the length.

OLD BAY is a game changer

Marylander bred. Try this if you have not before - after you butter and salt, sprinkle on some Old Bay spice - amazing.

Also growing up, this topic would come up time to time. I remember being told that whether you eat in circles or rows is influenced by where you are raised. I think I remember hearing that Mid-Atlantic people may like rolling the cob more than other places.

I personally tend to do typewriter from right to left. And I always go back a second time no matter what.

Looks like you were almost as serious about sweet corn as my family! I grew up on an Iowa farm, and we ate a LOT of corn. My dad would load up his 8-row corn planter and make several passes in the "garden" (small field). That's a LOT of corn. Come harvest time, we'd get the water boiling, then go down to the garden and pick a load. Then RUN up to the house, shucking on the fly. Back then the corn lost sweetness rapidly as soon as you picked it, so you wanted to get it into the boiling water as quickly as possible.:greetings10:

We would eat 6-8 ears apiece at one meal.
The few years that we planted a small patch of early sweet corn it never made it out of the patch. I would just shuck it and eat it as it was picked. :D

Marylander bred. Try this if you have not before - after you butter and salt, sprinkle on some Old Bay spice - amazing.
I might have to try this. It sounds like a great change once in a while.

Cheers!

Now let me address that subject of buttering your corn. Always used to try to smear it on with a knife until I went to have dinner with a Polish family who had the perfect technique. They put a large amount of butter on a slice of bread which was then used as the applicator. Wrap the bread slice around the corn cob and spin it and your corn is perfectly buttered with no mess. I dont care what they say about those Pollacks...they are pretty smart!!

Now let me address that subject of buttering your corn. Always used to try to smear it on with a knife until I went to have dinner with a Polish family who had the perfect technique. They put a large amount of butter on a slice of bread which was then used as the applicator. Wrap the bread slice around the corn cob and spin it and your corn is perfectly buttered with no mess. I dont care what they say about those Pollacks...they are pretty smart!!

That's why we see so much more cod on restaurant menus, because cod are not smart at all and therefore easy to catch.

Back
Top Bottom