Funny Tuesday Videos

I kinda like her. She operates at a pleasantly low level of abstraction.

How did you find that video?

Ha

Low level of abstraction. You have such a way with words. :flowers: It's a little painful for me. Too many relatives could step right into her body. :LOL:

My cousin's husband (CIL?) sent it to me (email) via a video of the day thing on a Savannah radio station website (98.7 The River). Just one of those things that wanders around on web mailing lists for a while. I found the youtube copy so you wouldn't have to see all the radio station ads that went with it. I think there's a second half to it, but I haven't watched it yet.

That Bet Your Life woman...

She was a shy person in front of a nationwide audience. It wasn't really mean-spirited, but Cosby made her look stupider than she was. He was really unfair. For example, at 4:18:

Cosby: Now, where's the river?
Her: Which river?

That was a perfectly reasonable thing to say. Perhaps there was no river in that town. But, "which river" gets a big laugh, and Cosby puts his head in his hand, as if to say "What an IDIOT!"

Cosby: Is there an East River?
Her: I don't know.

Big laugh.

Cosby: Is there a West River?
Her: I don't even know where the river is.

Cosby laughs at her.

It seemed a little cruel to me -- they were laughing at her expense.

No question about it. But if you ever watched the original You Bet Your Life with Groucho, you'd see that Cosby was Mother Teresa in comparison.

Not all that tempts your wandering eyes
And heedless hearts, is lawful prize;
Nor all, that glisters, gold.

I LOVE GOLD

Not all that tempts your wandering eyes
And heedless hearts, is lawful prize;
Nor all, that glisters, gold.

I LOVE GOLD

Perhaps you should also mention that these lines are from an 18 century poem by Thomas Gray, who is best known I think for Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard. Or maybe this is credited in the cartoon.

Just reading this poetry is a very good antidote to rushing!

Ha

Perhaps you should also mention that these lines are from an 18 century poem by Thomas Gray, who is best known I think for Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard. Or maybe this is credited in the cartoon.

Just reading this poetry is a very good antidote to rushing!

The cartoon doesn't reference Gray. That was my doing. :)

In college I did my senior thesis on Gray, and I've loitered at his grave (in the "country churchyard" at Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire) and at the monument to him in Westiminster Abbey.

Sometimes I think if there was one thing I could do to improve the world, it would be to get everyone to read, and understand, Gray's Elegy.

Back
Top Bottom