Gas Prices

Still $3.49/gal here in WV, they do have higher taxes on fuel. It balances out, the overall tax burden is pretty low. Well, I guess unless you burn a lot of gas in WV.

$2.90 here in Greensboro nc. Best price in a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Adjusted for inflation, the price of gas is about the same now as it was in the 60's.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2014

True stories:

The lowest gas price I can remember seeing was 19.9 (~20 cents) during a "gas war" in the late 50's. Even then, I can remember my mom stopping at the gas station and buying a dollars worth of gas. And while the "gas station attendant" pumped the gas for us, he would wash our windshield, and if you asked, he'd check the air pressure in our tires and the water in the radiator for free. And then give us stamps (S&H Green stamps if I remember correctly)

In the late 60's, a friend and I (still know this guy today, almost 45 year later) once ran out of gas on a motorcycle and pushed it to the nearest gas station. We only had 5 cents between us. The attendant pumped the 5 cents worth of gas and we asked him to "drain the hose". He did and we were able to make it home (a few miles away).

Last edited:
That site shows 3.033 for Shreveport, but it's selling for 2.93 - 2.95 all over town. Not sure what goes into compiling the numbers.

I'm currently in Williston, North Dakota and the stations are advertising $3.39 for regular and $3.99 $4.05 for diesel. Plus, it's getting cold up this way!

Just left Scottsdale, Az at 2.88. Now roaming around Northeastern Il at 2.94. Going to Rockville, Indiana at 2.98.

$2.58 here south of STL and just in time as we are planning a weekend trip that will involve some driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I noticed it was down to 2.46 in a couple of small towns here in central/east Texas.

$2.65 when I left Front Royal VA a week ago. $2.79 in Ocean City MD when I got there a week ago. $2.97 here in Bonita Springs FL as of yesterday. Ripping off the old people.

It was under $3 for the first time in a long time when I filled up at Costco earlier this week.

CA has higher gas taxes - so we're always more expensive than other places.

CA has higher gas taxes - so we're always more expensive than other places.
I always thought that was the case but it appears at the moment NY may be in the lead...

Attachments

• Gas prices.JPG
    Gas prices.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 23
Price here is now $2.99. This is the first time below $3 in the last 3 years. I don't understand why it is still so high here as there is a refinery about a mile from my home.

Last edited:
I'll probably be shot for saying it, but I think gas prices should never go down!

Right now, at this price level, the economics of the tar sands are probably questionable. Some of the harder to get sources requiring steam and such, are also getting closer to being "not worth it". So those operations shut-down, go out of business, etc. Oh, then, of course, after the damage is done to those businesses, the price is manipulated by the producers later back up to higher than it was, and it takes time for those alternative sources to get back into gear.

What if there were a law that said for every penny petrolium goes down, the government would compel sellers to collect the difference between the world price and the highest historical world price. Whatever is collected goes to directly to reducing the national debt. So the price was $3.50 and it goes down to $2.75, then $0.75 goes into paying off the debt. If the price returns to $3.50, they collect nothing. If the price goes to $3.75 then returns to $3.50, they collect $0.25.

So if the price is predicably "always flat or up", then energy businesses can thrive. Investments can be made with much less risk, and a solid vector away from foreign oil can be established.

I'll probably be shot for saying it, but I think gas prices should never go down!

Right now, at this price level, the economics of the tar sands are probably questionable. Some of the harder to get sources requiring steam and such, are also getting closer to being "not worth it". So those operations shut-down, go out of business, etc. Oh, then, of course, after the damage is done to those businesses, the price is manipulated by the producers later back up to higher than it was, and it takes time for those alternative sources to get back into gear.

What if there were a law that said for every penny petrolium goes down, the government would compel sellers to collect the difference between the world price and the highest historical world price. Whatever is collected goes to directly to reducing the national debt. So the price was $3.50 and it goes down to $2.75, then $0.75 goes into paying off the debt. If the price returns to $3.50, they collect nothing. If the price goes to $3.75 then returns to $3.50, they collect $0.25.

So if the price is predicably "always flat or up", then energy businesses can thrive. Investments can be made with much less risk, and a solid vector away from foreign oil can be established.

Unless I am misunderstanding you Seng, I don't see how collecting the difference to apply to debt would effect production. Since the company is not getting the money, they would still not be profitable. All that does in increase taxes on drivers. FWIW, some tar sand companies are profitable now. I own some Suncor and they are awash in the stuff and production cost is in low 30s per barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2.94/gal two days ago in small town northern Cali-two hours north of San Francisco. Interesting we are so much cheaper than SF!

$2.76 in my area for unleaded regular.

My break even point for my hybrid goes up with every price drop. We need gas at $4 or more a gallon soon to make my purchase look good! ;)

Well.... In reality since I plan to drive the car 100,000 miles or more I will break even in any case. It's just I that have have to turn down the gloat-0-meter a bit when I pass by a gas station.:(

Unless I am misunderstanding you Seng, I don't see how collecting the difference to apply to debt would effect production. Since the company is not getting the money, they would still not be profitable. All that does in increase taxes on drivers. FWIW, some tar sand companies are profitable now. I own some Suncor and they are awash in the stuff and production cost is in low 30s per barrel.
Glad to hear they're not shutting down!

You got it right: a tax on drivers. I'm not a fan of more taxes, but a disincentive to burn fossil fuels would be one place where I'd tax if I were king.

I didn't explain the mechanism very well, but I figure that a barrel produced in North America would always fetch the high price, no matter what. So OPEC doesn't game the system, maybe the "high price" would be a moving average. The refinery would be indifferent as to where the oil came from since it all would cost the same amount. Buy from Texas and pay the highest world price to the producer. Buy from OPEC when the current world price had sunk, producer gets paid the current (cheap) world price and the difference between that and highest world price would go to the debit.

I'm sure they'd cry foul, since this would be considered a "tariff", but I think it could be argued for since they are not playing fair when it comes to manipulating the price of oil.

Not sure I agree with all the reasoning but until we really know the environmental cost of alternate oil recovery means, I'd be inclined to agree with a higher federal tax on fuel.

This won't affect me, 'cuz I won't be around that long, but I believe that the sooner the world turns to renewable energy, the better off my grandchildren will be.

Whatever the reasons, I filled my gas tank with Exxon Supreme (or whatever they call their most expensive grade of gas), for $2.97/gallon recently. I think regular was $2.57/gallon. Both have been dropping like a rock lately so they are probably lower than that today. Even though I only fill my gas tank once or twice a month, still what a pleasure it is to encounter such surprisingly low prices. :D

Now, if only food prices would do the same! :LOL:

Regular is down to $2.42/gal range here and dropping, can find it for $2.3x/gal if you search. But diesel is still $3.45/gal range. Not driving the diesel truck as much now!

Last edited:
You got it right: a tax on drivers. I'm not a fan of more taxes, but a disincentive to burn fossil fuels would be one place where I'd tax if I were king.
Do you live in a larger metropolitan area? There are those of us that do not have a choice burn fossile fuel or not. This area is very spread out; getting to a grocery store is at least a 3 mile walk and the nearest theater is about 10 miles away. There are a couple of bars within a few blocks but I don't like to spend much time in bars. When it's below 0 degrees no one wants to walk that far and for the elderly it would be dangerous. We have no choice but to burn fossil fuel either in our own or some other vehicle. Remember that the population density of North Dakota is less than 10 people per square mile. In this state you can't find enough people going the same direction at the same time to support mass transit. I can never support a disincentive to burn fossil fuels.

Back
Top Bottom