Paying cash for your gas vs credit card...

I drive a 2001 Silverado with a 26 gallon tank. I don't carry that kind of cash around. It is our primary transport yet I only fill up every 4 to 6 weeks anyway.

Publix Super Market gas cards when they have them. They usually have that deal about once every couple of months. I buy all I can (with a cashback credit card) whenever they have them and get a whopping 20% off all the gas I use ($50 cards sold for $40). If you live in a state that has Publix, it's a hard deal to beat to gas up you car.

How do their gas prices compare with other sources? I've seen some great discounts but the price of the gas more or less zeros that out. Of course, with 20% off the top, it sounds like you can't lose. Good for you!:)

How do their gas prices compare with other sources? I've seen some great discounts but the price of the gas more or less zeros that out. Of course, with 20% off the top, it sounds like you can't lose. Good for you!:)

The gas cards they sell are from brand names like Mobil, Shell, BP, Wawa. etc. You are still subject to market gas prices when using the gift card at the pump. The only difference is the 20% discount you paid for that card. Another advantage is if you use a gift card at a station that has two-tier pricing (cash/credit), gift cards are recognized as a cash purchase even though you may have purchased them with a credit card.

Last edited:
The gas cards they sell are from brand names like Mobil, Shell, BP, Wawa. etc. You are still subject to market gas prices when using the gift card at the pump. The only difference is the 20% discount you paid for that card. Another advantage is if you use a gift card at a station that has two-tier pricing (cash/credit), gift cards are recognized as a cash purchase even though you may have purchased them with a credit card.

Sounds great. Happy for you. Wish we had those available as well.:)

I typically fill up at about 1/2 empty or so and that's about 8-9 gallons. I'm not going to walk inside and stand in line for 80 cents and I don't drive around looking for cheaper gas. It just isn't worth the trouble.

Remember when you go in to pay lock your car and hide your valuables as thieves are known to steal cell phones and purses and whatever else they see and it only takes them seconds to grab and dash and they will even smash your windows to get that purse that you left on the seat.

I paid $2.34 for regular gas earlier this week using my CC. After my 10% discount that I get, that's ~$2.10/gal. I actually saw it for 2.29 at another station but I wouldn't have got my discount there.

I paid $2.34 for regular gas earlier this week using my CC. After my 10% discount that I get, that's ~$2.10/gal. I actually saw it for 2.29 at another station but I wouldn't have got my discount there.

I always here how there is nothing good about Texas but there is at least one thing that's good.

I typically avoid stations that charge extra for using a CC. I just find it annoying, but to each their own.

I use the Sam's CC to get 5% cashback. I fill up at our Sam's when it's convenient.

Our local Sam's also gives an extra 4 cents off per gallon using the Upside app. Every little bit helps (hey, I still pick nickles, dimes, and quarters off the ground too).

We're at $3.69 with CC and $3.49 cash or Debit card in SW PA.

What card do you have that gives you a 10% discount? I use a Sam's Club credit card that is 5% Sam's Cash rebate for gass anywhere but 10% sounds better if it isn't limited to certain gas stations.

^^^^
It's a perk I still get from the Major Oil Company I worked for. And yes, it's limited to "their" brands/products.

^^^^^
Depends on your POV. :)

Buying gas:confused: Ha ha.

The coolest thing about Tesla chargers is all you do is plug in. The charger recognizes the car (via cable communications) and bills my account which charges the credit card.

And I get the Costco Visa 4% discount for gas/EV charging.

I've used a Chevron gift card and they still charged me the credit card rate. Bummer.

5% Shell card discount plus 5.25% on my BOA CC.

We do not get a discount for cash at gas stations.

I do get a three percent rebate on gas when I use my credit card.....which is a must at Costco where we typically fill up.

We do not carry much cash, we do not use much cash. 98 percent credit card.
I use debit at the barber...that is about it.

OOOooohhh! $2.10/gallon! I recently paid $4.19 at Costco and felt fortunate (most regular stations around town are $4.57 to $4.87.) The only good news is that I am only using about 10 gallons/month.

Credit card, I don't want to go inside.
The 10 cents extra they tend to charge for cc vs cash is not a big deal. I can save more paying attention to where I buy. And we have gas prices similar to Hawaii here. So, over $4 per gallon.

That's the cost of using the credit card.
20 gallons of gas at $3.45 cash price is $69.00. Using the credit card...$71.00. I will be sticking with cash for full fill ups.
Now if you have a credit card with a percentage back...that's another animal.

Depending on the station around here, A Debit Card is the same price as cash. The pain on using cash is you go in, leave cash, then go fill up, then go back in to get your change.... then the extra hassle if its a busy place with a line and multiple cashiers...

With a 5% cash back card, you would pay yourself $1.55 over using cash, and not have to go in the store.... TWICE....

I use my Costco citi visa too. I get argravated when i finish pumping and the pump ask if you want a reciept & after I push the yes button it pops up see cashier inside, because they are too lazy to refill the paper. Grr

I use my Costco citi visa too. I get argravated when i finish pumping and the pump ask if you want a reciept & after I push the yes button it pops up see cashier inside, because they are too lazy to refill the paper. Grr

It’s a ruse to get you to go inside. Far too common!

We started just taking pictures of the pump display when this happened.

Another reason I used to only fill up at Costco.

The cash discount dealers around here are questionable.

Almost all of our gasoline comes from a name brand convenience store. We use the Penfed 5% (for gas only) card for that. There is one price for each blend.

Every little bit helps (hey, I still pick nickles, dimes, and quarters off the ground too).

Good for you! :D

That's the reason many of us retired before our FRA. Not everybody has the ability/option/talent/smarts to earn a 6 figure plus salary, or own a very profitable business, or get stock options at a start-up, or whatever. There is nothing wrong if a person was a high earner. But, it's not the only road to FIRE.

In my area the CC price for a gallon of gas is 10¢ a gallon more. With prices still over $4 gallon in my town, using the Costco VISA still costs me less per gallon than cash. It's the final total cost that counts.

Last edited:

How do you get 10% discount? I only get 5% on my card...

OPPS... see that it is answered...

Back
Top Bottom