Gas Prices

In my area (a high gas tax state) Costco is selling regular for $2.32. The local 76 station is selling it for $2.89. 25% more.

Have we heard from the Leaf and Tesla owners yet?

Didn't feel the need to chime in.

I do find it very interesting (although completely expected) how much money this puts in people's pockets. And, the 'shot in the arm' this is giving the economy.

It makes me wonder how much more energetic our economy would be if, say, about 40% of the population were paying ¢50 to $1/gallon fuel costs like many EV owners. Or even for high cost electricity, could rely on $1.50-$2 fuel costs in the long term?

Last I saw, gas was $2.14 in Minnesota.

Filled up the suv with premium this morning at $1.31. Of course a $.90 Tom Thumb reward helps:D

No idea what the price of gas is here. I bought some Last December 15th. Paid $15 for 3/4 a tank. Have driven no more than two miles a day since then. The Prius is at 7/8 full. Probably won't need gas until mid-January. Finishing 20 days on call staying 0.5 mi from the hospital, then going home where I will be no longer regularly employed. Yippee! I would walk except for unpredictable hours and weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

$1.729/gal at the local Sam's club yesterday. I'm framing the receipt as I'm not sure I'll ever see gas this low again in my lifetime. I paid $0.239/gal when I first started driving ($1.85/gal adjusted for inflation). Too bad I didn't think to save that receipt...but those stone tablets were heavy.

I filled the tank in suburban MD for $2.159/gal - the "all cash" station down the road is usually 10c cheaper. Wonder how long before the MD legislature uses "low gas prices" as an excuse to slap on another 25c-50c gas tax to pay for roads the developers want.

Amethyst

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see many states add on more gas taxes while prices are low. What happens when gas prices go up again (and they will)? I'll bet those new taxes won't be removed.

Most stations around here are selling regular for ~$1.89 although I did pay $1.69.9 recently at one station.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see many states add on more gas taxes while prices are low. What happens when gas prices go up again (and they will)? I'll bet those new taxes won't be removed.

Most stations around here are selling regular for ~$1.89 although I did pay $1.69.9 recently at one station.

This state voted no to higher fuel taxes. I agree it would be an ideal time, but the voters said no. Now the legislature is discussing a toll road for I 70 across MO. That way tourists and infrequent travelers get to pay. Not my idea of beneficial lower prices.

Last I looked we were paying less than $1.80 per US gallon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Here in Pa a new gas tax of 10 cents per gal was supposed to take effect Jan1, 2015. Price was $2.59 12/31/14. Price is still $2.59 1/5/2015. I guess they are hiding the tax increase by keeping it at $2.59 even though the price is dropping.

I envy those with gas under $2.00 !

Down to $2.29 here. It has been dropping about 20 cents per week.

It has been dropping about 20 cents per week.

That's for sure, it's dropping like a rock!

I took this photo a few days ago to impress everybody on this thread. Then I forgot and didn't notice it on my iPhone until this morning so it's no longer impressive. :LOL: By now, you can get Exxon gas right around the corner from my house, for $1.85.

Attachments

• cheap_gas_Jan2015.JPG
    cheap_gas_Jan2015.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 122
$1.73 for regular at Costco

of course I buy premium and diesel :facepalm:

$2.01 premium (also Costco)
$3.19 diesel (no diesel at our Costco, oh well)

around Columbus Ohio

I think the Feds will increase gas taxes at their level because the federal highway fund is in bad shape. Interesting that both the R & D Senators are on the same page.

It has been 20 years since the rate was adjusted, that and the fact that vehicles are more efficient, has really impacted that revenue.

I think the Feds will increase gas taxes at their level because the federal highway fund is in bad shape. Interesting that both the R & D Senators are on the same page.

It has been 20 years since the rate was adjusted, that and the fact that vehicles are more efficient, has really impacted that revenue.

That would be fine, if they actually spent the money raised on the highways. But they wouldn't. So higher taxes and no changes.

Here in Pa a new gas tax of 10 cents per gal was supposed to take effect Jan1, 2015. Price was $2.59 12/31/14. Price is still $2.59 1/5/2015. I guess they are hiding the tax increase by keeping it at $2.59 even though the price is dropping.

I envy those with gas under $2.00 !
Green with envy here too.

Just to the north of you, in upstate NY...
$2.64 best cash price
$2.68 closest gas station

Looks like PA is following so many other NE states with a high gas tax. ,

Here in so cal, costco is still 2.29 for e-10 regular ( we cant buy real 100% gasoline), arco is usually the lowest locally , cash price was $2.36 last week, went up to 2.45 at 4 stations. Might be due to the ridiculous ca state clean fuel cap and trade regulations. The legislature here in California ,the land of nuts, thinks they can solve global warming unilaterally.

$1.729/gal at the local Sam's club yesterday. I'm framing the receipt as I'm not sure I'll ever see gas this low again in my lifetime. I paid $0.239/gal when I first started driving ($1.85/gal adjusted for inflation). Too bad I didn't think to save that receipt...but those stone tablets were heavy.

Got you beat by one cent. 0.229 a gallon at a self serve station.
Today I paid 2.18 at Costco in a state with one of the highest gas taxes in the nation.

I'll take the savings as long as it lasts

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Got you beat by one cent. 0.229 a gallon at a self serve station.

Lowest for me was $0.249, in 1970. Remember when "gas war" had a different meaning?

Waiting for motor oil prices to drop now............... :whistle:

I've had several "dual-fuel" vehicles in my day. Burned gas AND oil...

Ok I see a sign that says 107.9!

Wait a minute, thats in UK pounds, and it's only a liter. That works out to $7.46/gallon. Diesel is not a big pecent over that: $7.86. Not only is fuel really expensive, drivers need to pay to park everywhere in any town, even at the grocery store. Driving is expensive in the UK, but hiring a car, aka renting, is really cheap...just $14/day, at winter pricing (low demand).

So. When will delivery and service charges start to go down, and utility companies drop "fuel charges"?

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom