Gas Prices

In the north of Houston, I saw gas for $2.27 this morning at three stations on my way out of the neighborhood. With the current crude price, I'm expecting $2.00 or less soon,

Made me look. :)

YTD spending is $3,043 for gas and $2,777 for diesel. For those of us with multiple vehicles and drivers, and where everything is definitely not close, this drop in fuel prices will save us several hundred dollars a year.

While the lower prices aren't saving me anything, I am thrilled at the shot in the arm this should give the economy.:dance::dance:

DW's Caddy gets the grocery store discount. She does the food shopping, she gets the bennys. By the way I am prohibited from tagging along for food shopping:D

I can understand that. While I haven't banned DW from the grocery store (as if that would work anyway:hide:) the tab is definitely higher when she goes along.

I just heard on the news that some stations in Oklahoma are below $2 a gallon now (@ 1.99)

$2.37 today at Costco. Keep in mind that my state has one of the highest state gasoline taxes in the nation.

$2.67 here in Bonita Springs today. The price is dropping very slowly here. If I drive north 15 miles or so to Fort Meyers and go to the BJs it's significantly cheaper. $2.49 a week ago, and probably less now.

2.09 around here today (east/central Texas)

Why did I buy a turbo? $2.93 for the required premium fuel. $2.43 for regular.

Around $2.00 in the Toledo area. Actually several nearby stations are $1.98.

Why did I buy a turbo? $2.93 for the required premium fuel. $2.43 for regular.

Are you sure premium is required? Most cars will run on regular, and the engine computer will make adjustments to prevent knocking, with a minor decrease in performance. The manual will usually spell out that premium is recommended (for max performance), but not required.

But if the manual says premium is required, then stick with premium.

-ERD50

Saw one place in Shreveport yesterday @ 1.99, but most were in the 2.teens range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Are you sure premium is required? Most cars will run on regular, and the engine computer will make adjustments to prevent knocking, with a minor decrease in performance. The manual will usually spell out that premium is recommended (for max performance), but not required.

But if the manual says premium is required, then stick with premium.

-ERD50

The manual says 91 or higher "required". It's about to turn 11 years old so maybe i'll try regular and see what happens. It's not too far from time to trade it in anyway.

Filled up today at 2.25 as we drove through Nebraska. Seems crazy low.

The only time I can remember gas feelibg this cheap was when I first came to the US in 97 and it was 1.18. Using the inflation calculator it comes it to 1.70 in today's dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The manual says 91 or higher "required". It's about to turn 11 years old so maybe i'll try regular and see what happens. It's not too far from time to trade it in anyway.

Turbos provide additional air into the combustion chamber which will increase pressure and heat and therefore it requires higher octane fuel. If your turbo kicks in, I would not want the engine using lower octane fuel unless you're willing to risk engine damage.

Last edited:
Turbos provide additional air into the combustion chamber which will increase pressure and heat and therefore it requires higher octane fuel. If your turbo kicks in, I would not want the engine using lower octane fuel unless you're willing to risk engine damage.

I guess i'll keep using the 91 octane but this is the last vehicle i'll ever buy that requires anything above the minimum octane. I didn't even think to ask about that when I bought the car in 2004. I was 24 years old and just thought a turbo sounded cool so I went with it. It's cost me at least $2000 in added gas costs over the last decade. That's just figuring the added cost of the gas not the reduced gas mileage.

Paid 1.68 after a 31 cent discount applied. K.C. area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Sometime today I heard that if oil stays low for an extended period (6+ months as I recall) RE prices will fall in many Texas communities. The same would be true for ND.

I wonder why diesel hasn't fallen anywhere near as much as gas? Before this all started there tended to be a 10% to 15% premium over gas. These days it's looking like about 30% higher. I think we're still beating most cars with our 45 mpg beetle, but not by as much as usual.

I wonder why diesel hasn't fallen anywhere near as much as gas? Before this all started there tended to be a 10% to 15% premium over gas. These days it's looking like about 30% higher. I think we're still beating most cars with our 45 mpg beetle, but not by as much as usual.

Diesel doesn't turn as fast in retail stations so the higher priced stuff stays in the tanks longer. Also, reduced sulfur and the mandated use of biodiesel blending has kept the cost up.

Gas prices are just a manipulation of general public for economic reasons. Low gas price help people spend. Gas prices will rise after the new year. Companies are slow to react so diesel prices don't have the same volatility. People will literately sell a fuel sipper for a gas guzzler after a month of low gas prices.

So my predictions are gas prices will rise after the new year and the economy will take a sharp downturn after the next election.

Last edited:
Gas at my nearby Exxon station where we usually go is now $2.17/gallon and dropping fast.

There's another Exxon station which is actually closer to me where it is $1.99 according to gasbuddy. And then there's Sam's Club, where it is $1.91.

This is crazy! But fun. :D

Back
Top Bottom