Going to mobile phones only...

The real estate agent was always wanting to fax documents to him to sign. We had her scan them in an email to us and we would print, scan and email back. No issues with that.

You can avoid the whole print and re-scan dance.

How can I manually sign a Word document without printing it?

Basically, sign a blank sheet, scan it, and turn it into a picture file with a transparent background. Keep that on file. Paste this onto any electronic doc, save it and send it back.

-ERD50

You can avoid the whole print and re-scan dance.

How can I manually sign a Word document without printing it?

Basically, sign a blank sheet, scan it, and turn it into a picture file with a transparent background. Keep that on file. Paste this onto any electronic doc, save it and send it back.

-ERD50

Or skip a step: Any camera (cell phone even) will, in one step, create a jpeg image that can be Pasted into any document.

I have a landline only because it is bundled into my TW All In One contract for Internet, cable, and security and fire monitoring. I get a nice discount on my home insurance for that security/fire system.
I use the land line occasionally for the free long distance and local calls from home, versus chewing up minutes on my cell.
I provide my home phone for non-time-critical callers. I provide my cell to people I need to hear from in real time. :D
My cell has a camera, which I use to send pix to friends' or my own email. I'm not a rabid texter, but it sure comes in handy for "I'll be 15 minutes late". ;)

You folks who use DSL- how do you get your TV signal?

I pay way too much for Comcast bundled land line, cable and internet ($123/mo, and I have to call them and complain every 6 months to avoid being stuck with more.) but to drop the phone alone would save me almost nothing.

I am not sure I could go without cable- I would probably hate it during the NCAA basketball tournement or other similar events.

Are all of you using broadcast?

Ha
Ha,
I have Qwest providing land-line and DSL service. For now I need the land line for condo association business using my multifunction printer. Comcast provides extended basic cable. The landline excludes long distance and I use T-Mobile's pay as you go for long distance.

-- Rita

You can get HGTV if you get a Roku box.

Thanks! - I did not know this. I never saw HGTV in the lineup (we've only had our Roku boxes since Christmas) - googling showed you need to add it as a "Private Channel" via the computer, then leave/re-enter the 'channel store' to pick it up on the box:

You need to login here: owner.roku.com ; then enter HGTV code.

I found some background info here:

TheEndless's channels for the Roku DVP!

-ERD50

Or skip a step: Any camera (cell phone even) will, in one step, create a jpeg image that can be Pasted into any document.

Yes, but sometimes you may want the transparent background, so it 'signs on the dotted line' rather than obscuring the line. Probably not a big deal, but according to some of those instructions, I used the "png" file format, which supports transparent backgrounds, AFAIK, jpeg does not. You could still use the camera, and convert in photo editing software (I used GIMP on Linux), to get the transparency - or just paste over the line with jpeg.

-ERD50

Dropped our landline years ago, never regretted it at all. We have cable internet, but I may go to "dry loop DSL" (learned about it here!) one day. I can't imagine ever having a landline again, I'd bet they'll go the way of the slide rule in the next 10-20 years, at least for individuals. May take longer for businesses to drop conventional phones.

Sound reasonable? Anyone have any problems going cell only?
You're not going cell only, you're going cell + voip. Like many others on this thread, I don't see any problem. We use Vonage instead of Magic Jack, but only because of a very high number of int'l calls. The only problem we've had is when we've lost cable service and had to use the cell phones to deal with comcast. They are not at all concerned about numerous, lengthy phone calls with extended hold times.

We dropped the landline over 5 years ago.

I'm sure you thought about it, but make sure you have enough minutes/roaming charges if applicable, car/home charger, decent signal in the areas you use your cell phone.

If you use a smart phone, consider the insurance plan as they are pretty pricey to replace, but depends how you treat your phones.

Good luck.

You folks who use DSL- how do you get your TV signal?

I pay way too much for Comcast bundled land line, cable and internet ($123/mo, and I have to call them and complain every 6 months to avoid being stuck with more.) but to drop the phone alone would save me almost nothing.

I am not sure I could go without cable- I would probably hate it during the NCAA basketball tournement or other similar events.

Are all of you using broadcast?

Ha

I don't have TV anymore.

We had cell phones and Vonage (VOIP) for several years with a very cheap landline for back up.

Recently dropped the landline and Vonage. We did pay about $25-30 a year to Skype to be able to make calls to phones from it (I use it a lot while sitting at my computer).

The big issue was faxes since I have a low need to fax but still occasionally need to do so. We had Myfax for awhile at $10 a month but it was not cost effective so dropped that. Still can't find a good solution for sending faxes that isn't too costly.

For faxes, you have two options. You can get a fast scanner like ScanSnap, then scan your document and e-mail it directly from the ScanSnap program by dragging and dropping it into e-mail. If it has to be in a scan format for some legal reasons, then you can scan the document, and buy a program called Snappy Fax, which will send the document via fax. You need to have a telepone cord in your computer to fax it (but that only works if you have a phone line) so if you want to get rid of the land line, Snappy Fax won't do ya.

When someone wants me to fax them something, I always ask if I can e-mail it instead. Most times they say it is ok.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom