Halloween Protocols?

It is fun to see the little children in costume. The parents walk with them and watch from the street. Sometimes they are in costumes too. Fun. I quit handing out candy about 10 years ago and started giving juice boxes instead. It has been a great success. They get thirsty while walking around eating candy. Occasionally a parent will send their child back to see if they can get another for them. :D The grade school age children have always been polite and say "Thank you". As they get older maybe not so much but that's OK. It's all fun. We usually get about 40 children so I rarely run out of juice boxes. If I do it is getting later and the teens are out. By then we turn off the lights and retire to the back of the house to watch TV.

Cheers!

I’m glad we’re somewhat past the early Covid days. That was one quiet Halloween around here!

Now that is interesting. It was the exact opposite where I live.

Halloween 2020 was a real blow out in my neighborhood and others near me. I think many people, especially parents, but also just a lot of nice neighbors, decided the kids needed something besides Zoom school, masks and rules that made things like birthday parties problematic. People spent more time decorating their homes and the kids loved every minute of trick-or-treat.

Now that is interesting. It was the exact opposite where I live.

Halloween 2020 was a real blow out in my neighborhood and others near me. I think many people, especially parents, but also just a lot of nice neighbors, decided the kids needed something besides Zoom school, masks and rules that made things like birthday parties problematic. People spent more time decorating their homes and the kids loved every minute of trick-or-treat.

Yes, that was my favorite Halloween to date. There were fewer houses giving out candy so people took more time to play with the props and neighbors stood outside talking to each other longer. People weren't in such a mad rush to get to the next house.

I sit on the porch if the weather is nice, otherwise the kids have to come to the door. Last year was great…pleasant weather, between 30 and 40 trick or treat kids…all age appropriate with one exception. The one exception was a developmentally disabled teenager and she was so happy to get candy! Without exception every trick or treater last year said thank you.

So DW and I split overall. She's right about doorbell vs sitting out front, and I'm right about giving all the kids candy (even if I short the older uncostumed brats).

Doesn't matter because we split the duties and she does her thing for an hour, and I do mine for an hour, and then lights out...

My only contribution to this thread is the fact that this year it's on a Monday night. This is ridiculous and guarantees that I'll have a mild hangover at work the next day or forced to burn a sick day as will a lot of people. It would be so much more productive if they made it on Friday or Saturday night each year.

If DW & I had our way...

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 98
DW and I disagree every year, so I thought I’d informally poll here.

I’d rather put a chair on the front porch and give out candy as kids come by. DW thinks that’s Halloween blasphemy - she insists the kids have to ring the doorbell and say “Trick or Treat.” If they don’t, before handing out candy she asks “what do you say?” You?

DW objects to (older) kids who don’t put any effort into costumes don’t deserve any candy and sometimes even mildly shames them. You know, the high school kids with no costume and a pillowcase, or college kids with costumes. While I agree with her, my thinking is why antagonize them and induce vandalism? So I just give those kids 1 piece of candy each instead of the 3-4 pieces we plan on for each trick or treater (and we give much more if we have a lot left near the end). You?

I like to let small kids take what they want from the assorted candy we have. And most of them only take 1 piece, I have to encourage them to take more. DW decides what each kid will get, and she gives fewer pieces out. You?

We have the same Halloween mild disagreement every year…

We do make them ring the doorbell but I don't make them say trick or treat. I am equally generous with all ages and think teens and college kids trick or treating is great - they are not getting in trouble. Your wife sounds like a bit of a party pooper lol.

I think all the crap around Halloween is ridiculous. I turn the lights off and we go out to dinner. It’s usually nice at restaurants because the little monsters are occupied. Yes, I’ve become a curmudgeon.

Reactions: W2R
When I was a kid living in a housing project with 1,000 other kids from poor families, Halloween was a fun time and had a ball going from door to door (close together doors!). Just about every family gave out candy or whatever they could afford. What great memories I have of those years.

When I was a single young man, I went to costume parties with friends and we always had a blast.

When my kids were younger we went out for years until they went to friend's parties instead.

Halloween is one of the only fun times left in this country you can do with neighbors, children, adults etc.

And I understand the folks who think it's just a bother for them or a safety issue.

Long live Halloween! :)

I think all the crap around Halloween is ridiculous. I turn the lights off and we go out to dinner. It’s usually nice at restaurants because the little monsters are occupied. Yes, I’ve become a curmudgeon.

:clap: YAY!! Someone with the same opinion of Hallowe'en as me. I think it's intended only for little children, gives them tooth decay and a sugar high, if there aren't razor blades or poison in the candy; and basically with all those skeletons and ghosts Hallowe'en is a creepy, hideous holiday permeated with rituals of death and the spiritual underworld. I know, I know... I said what I REALLY think. :ROFLMAO: And I'm not even a member of one of those unusual Christian sects that dislike it for religious reasons. But those of you who like it, go ahead and have a ball. I'll be here at home with the lights out jumping out of my skin every time I hear a noise. Yeah, like your pets. :rolleyes:

:clap: YAY!! Someone with the same opinion of Hallowe'en as me. I think it's intended only for little children, gives them tooth decay and a sugar high, if there aren't razor blades or poison in the candy; and basically with all those skeletons and ghosts Hallowe'en is a creepy, hideous holiday permeated with rituals of death and the spiritual underworld. I know, I know... I said what I REALLY think. :ROFLMAO: And I'm not even a member of one of those unusual Christian sects that dislike it for religious reasons. But those of you who like it, go ahead and have a ball. I'll be here at home with the lights out jumping out of my skin every time I hear a noise. Yeah, like your pets. :rolleyes:
To each, his or her own! [emoji1787]20221007_165352.jpg

I bought the treats yesterday so I'm ready. I stopped giving out candy many years ago and have been handing out 100% juice boxes. It has been a big hit with the kids and parents alike for more than a decade. In all that time only one kid out of many hundreds has ever been disappointed (but he took it anyway and was seen drinking it on his way down the street).
Once it gets past about 8pm we close up for the night, turn off the lights, and relax for an hour with a TV show before bed. Most of the little kids are home by then checking their stash except for the older teen-agers.

Cheers!

I give candy to everyone and extra to the teens. They are choosing childhood and innocent fun over partying. And I sit in the driveway so my dogs don’t bark when they ring the doorbell and can watch baseball playoffs without being interrupted. Last year, we also grilled and gave out hot dogs. I might also have a beer myself amid all this fun.

As for saying trick or treat, I work with special needs children and live in a very international area so some may have speech issues, anxiety, super shy or English may not be their first language. So I make it easy on them and not ask them to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a few pieces of candy.

They (parents) ship kids into our neighborhood, two townhome communities' with about 175 homes on peninsula, easy pickin's !!! We've usually gone down street to dinner and wait it out till about 9-930. Well I'm going to show them, I'm taking my candy and going on transatlantic on QM2 ;-)

Just thought about this, wonder if people will dress up Halloween night:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Dress up for me is a tux, thats enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We open our garage, dress up, and make a mini party out of it. During COVID, I was one of those people that devised a device that let me pass out candy in a fun way from a distance. It was such a hit and fun entertainment for the kids that I've kept it up every year.

For kids I know personally, I also get them a little stuffed Halloween animal or something non-food related.

As for older kids, I'm glad they are holding on to their childhood as long as they can so I have no issues with them coming around and getting candy. I'd rather they be doing that than doing something illegal or harmful to themselves. It'd be great if they were in costume, but honestly I don't care. And they get the same amount of candy as the little ones or more since by that time of night, I usually realize I've bought too much and am trying to get rid of it.

Some neighbors also give out "adult" treats, which I think is really fun because it gives the adults an active role to play. It's usually something like a mini container with a few gummy bears soaked in vodka, jello shots, filling-up their wine cup (yes, most adults in my area trick-or-treat with alcohol in a yeti), or mini bottles of liquor. But we're in a very alcohol-centric area (something I continue to be baffled by). You could also do a nicer piece of chocolate (Ghiradelli? Dove?) for the adults.

I have lived in my current home for 31 years now in a typical suburban multi generational neighborhood so we get literal hordes of trick or treaters every Halloween. I wouldn't have it any other way. DGF refuses to participate unless it's a very young child in a cute outfit, so picky. I often sit on the porch handing out treats during the periods of heaviest traffic, hiding my beer from little eyes to sip in the lull periods.

Half my neighbors keep their lights out and don't participate although several have no problem taking their children and/or grandkids around themselves. I usually shut down about 9:00 turning out the lights but we rarely get visitors after that hour due to the other darkened doors in our cul-de-sac. I expect to go through close to $50 worth of treats this year as the price of treats escalates every year. I consider it payback for the years my kids and grandkids hit the streets on Halloween.

DW objects to (older) kids who don’t put any effort into costumes don’t deserve any candy and sometimes even mildly shames them. You know, the high school kids with no costume and a pillowcase, or college kids with costumes. While I agree with her, my thinking is why antagonize them and induce vandalism? So I just give those kids 1 piece of candy each instead of the 3-4 pieces we plan on for each trick or treater (and we give much more if we have a lot left near the end). You?....
Bah, humbug!

...I enjoy the older kids as much as the younger ones and I don't care if they are dressed in costume or not. I think they enjoy and appreciate the candy even more than the little ones....
Yes!

...I am equally generous with all ages and think teens and college kids trick or treating is great - they are not getting in trouble. Your wife sounds like a bit of a party pooper lol.
Yes!

Having fun with the teenagers who are hanging on to that little bit of childhood for maybe the last time is actually the best part of Halloween for me. The girls will dress up and the boys never do, but we don't care. We always joke with them because they are often hilarious, and we usually surprise the ones who come later in the evening by giving them all of the candy that's left. And you never know what a few kind words can mean to a teenager.

Heh, heh, MY Christian "sect" :LOL: (church, really) holds a fall festival for kids at Halloween. DW and I usually participate. My favorite is the "fishing booth" where the kiddies cast a "hook" over a wall and we attach a piece of candy to the string. Gotta watch your eyes when the kids take the fishing too seriously and do some serious casting. Lots of fun and the kids love it. We go through MOUNDS of candy during an evening as there must be 20 games for the kids to play to get candy. It's a lot safer than going door to door. We know exactly where the candy comes from and there are adults supervising. We "require" (not really) one can of food as an entry for each child. The food goes into our food program for the Islands. Win-win. Tiring for us oldsters but lots of fun. YMMV

Having fun with the teenagers who are hanging on to that little bit of childhood for maybe the last time is actually the best part of Halloween for me. The girls will dress up and the boys never do, but we don't care. We always joke with them because they are often hilarious, and we usually surprise the ones who come later in the evening by giving them all of the candy that's left. And you never know what a few kind words can mean to a teenager.

Ah, yes. I remember when it just wasn't "cool" to dress up when I was a teen boy. Funny how some things never change. Enjoy!

Heh, heh, MY Christian "sect" :LOL: (church, really) holds a fall festival for kids at Halloween. DW and I usually participate. My favorite is the "fishing booth" where the kiddies cast a "hook" over a wall and we attach a piece of candy to the string. Gotta watch your eyes when the kids take the fishing too seriously and do some serious casting. Lots of fun and the kids love it. We go through MOUNDS of candy during an evening as there must be 20 games for the kids to play to get candy. It's a lot safer than going door to door. We know exactly where the candy comes from and there are adults supervising. We "require" (not really) one can of food as an entry for each child. The food goes into our food program for the Islands. Win-win. Tiring for us oldsters but lots of fun. YMMV

I think that's a wonderful idea! It sounds totally safe for the kids (what a great idea!), and I would be 100% behind something like that. Sorry I used the word "sect"; not trying to insult those churches, but just trying to point out that only some churches object to Hallowe'en for religious reasons and others don't.

When my DD was little, in College Station, Texas, her elementary school would have a similar fall festival that the kids loved and they did that instead of trick-or-treating.

When DS was 10-12. he was into Halloween big time. We set up a scary maze on our wrap around porch for the older kids. For the younger kids I stayed out before the maze and handed out candy. The littlest ones were scared so I walked down the driveway and handed the candy while they held onto their parents. Our neighborhood is upper middle class near rural areas so some parents would drive their kids to our development, which was fine.

We used to get about 100 kids, now it’s down to 30-40.

A number of churches started doing trunk or treat in their parking lot.

The best place to go locally is Hershey Park. They hand out Hershey’s candy throughout the park.

I’m going to miss seeing the kids this year. I have band rehearsal. I’ll wear black cat ears to rehearsal.

Ah, yes. I remember when it just wasn't "cool" to dress up when I was a teen boy. Funny how some things never change. Enjoy!

Yeah, when we hit 13-14 my friends decided we were too old to trick or treat, and definitely too old for costumes. We did, however, take our younger siblings around.

But then I went to college... and Halloween became this amazing holiday where many women dressed up in somewhat "provocative" costumes and smiled at you when you told then how nice their costumes were... and it came back into favor :cool:.

Back
Top Bottom