Home Depot no longer accepting Lowe's coupons

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I went to Home Depot to buy some things with a $25 off $250 coupon that came in the mail from Lowes (not a printed coupon from the internet that could be easily faked). Go to ring up with $300 worth of stuff and HD won't accept the coupon. So I said fine, just give me the $20 of things I need today and I'll buy the rest at Lowe's next time.

What a dumb policy change.

Last edited:
I have both a Home Depot and a Lowe's within 2.5 miles of me (and within a mile of each other). Over the years, I've found that not only is HD's price at least a little better 90% of the time, but they give me my military discount with zero hassle. Lowe's will give it to me too, but I have to spend an extra five minutes while the cashier gets a manager to show up and authorize it.

The other issue is that everyone at my HD is always friendly and helpful, while the staff at Lowe's is not only very scarce, but not the least interested in helping customers.

Based on my (limited) experience, I would say that HD can get by very nicely without honoring their competitor's coupons. My HD is always busy, but the Lowe's typically has less than ¼ of HD's traffic.

I never would have thought to try to use the Lowes coupon at HD, I wouldn't have thought that HD would honor them.

I also have a HD and Lowes close by. The Lowes has some [-]old codgers[/-] retired tradespeople working in their electrical department and plumbing, and they are a source of great advice. For these areas I always go to Lowe's first, and I don't care if the prices are a bit higher (I don't know if they are). HD's millwork section has better staffing, so they get my business. And Menards seems to have lower prices overall and many brands not carried by Lowes or HD, so I make the long drive to their store if it's a big project.

Where I am, Lowe's is the winner almost every time. Everyone is really nice to us, plus they guarantee to match any Home Depot / Sears or other competitor price, take off 10% on top of that, and still let us use coupons, so we always end up there in the end :D

The other issue is that everyone at my HD is always friendly and helpful, while the staff at Lowe's is not only very scarce, but not the least interested in helping customers.

I suspect that difference can be highly local, or dependent on the management style of the respective store manager(s).

Here we don't notice much difference in either one. I mostly go to Lowes simply because it's significantly closer but when I have a big painting project (and DW informs me that "we" will soon) I'll go to HD because Behr paint is better rated in Consumer Reports and it worked well when we did FIL's house.

In the past, I found both Lowes and HD employees to be masters of avoiding eye contact and for chit-chatting in the aisles while ignoring the customers. Within the last couple of years, though, they have both gotten religion and every employee acknowledges me and asks if they can help me find something.

I do some work for a local nonprofit and need to purchase items tax free. At HD I give them my tax ID number and it is done. At Lowes, they wanted me to fill out a bunch of forms and other screwing around, so they get no more of my tax free business.

Anecdotally, I've heard that some Lowes will accept certain Harbor Freight coupons, which is hard to wrap my head around. I've never tried to use coupons between HD and Lowes.

I've had bad experiences trying to get things (dishwasher, stove) installed when buying from Lowes. In particular, the so-called installers came up with excuses to avoid installing. With HD, there was no problem.

For price, I like Menards the most but I think HD has a better selection of tools.

I am at both stores at least once per week, even though I try to avoid HD. HD near me was a disorganized mess until Lowe's opened nearby. Much better now. Lowe's has automatic 5% discount on everything when you use their card. We did go to HD for a painting project and they offered the same deal so we got an HD card, but the discount is not automatic....you have to ask for it and sometimes a manager has to come over to swipe his magic card, so it's a hassle for small purchases.

When building an addition 8 years ago I managed to get a HD cc that gave 10% discount on everything; I was theoretically a contractor. A few months after I got done they revoked it for lack of sufficient business.

I have both L and HD near me, but always vote for Lowes. Ours has much better service and staffing. What really blew me away when I was doing the addition was how disorganized the shelves were at HD, especially plumbing fittings and electrical. I mentioned it to the staff at the contractor's counter and they rolled their eyes and agreed heartily. I think what's being described here, L vs HD is largely a local management issue. I never really have seen much difference in prices.

In the past, I found both Lowes and HD employees to be masters of avoiding eye contact and for chit-chatting in the aisles while ignoring the customers. Within the last couple of years, though, they have both gotten religion and every employee acknowledges me and asks if they can help me find something.

Anecdotally, I've heard that some Lowes will accept certain Harbor Freight coupons, which is hard to wrap my head around. I've never tried to use coupons between HD and Lowes.

Not religion, but mystery shopping evaluations. They specifically target having employee's greet and ask customers if they need help. I've heard bonuses are based on these evaluations.

As for Harbor Frieght coupons, yes, I've gotten them to honor one at Home Depot. I wanted to get some hardwood flooring, 28 boxes. Employee said no, head cashier said he'd look the other way, then they finally called the store mgr and she said "Sure! How many do you want to buy?" So I got all 28 boxes on 1 coupon. Pretty surprising since they knew it was for 1 item and HF only sells tools, not flooring. Guess, this store really needed the sale.

How can you determine if it is dumb or not? It's a business decision, and as an outsider, I would need a lot of information to know if this is good or bad policy. On one hand, they may get some extra business, OTOH, they may be better off controlling what they put on sale, rather than open themselves up to the same sales as their competition.

Like some others, I would never think to use a coupon from one store at another. Coupons are issued by that store to be used there.

The place I get haircuts has a sign "We welcome competitors coupons!" (with some fine print). They are going out of their way to promote this, but that's their business. I don't see that I'm in any position to call it dumb or smart.

But if I assume they know their business, then it's probably smart for them to accept other coupons. And if I assume HD knows their business, then it's probably smart for them to not accept other coupons.

-ERD50

As for Harbor Freight coupons, yes, I've gotten them to honor one at Home Depot. I wanted to get some hardwood flooring, 28 boxes...........

Was this a 20 or 25% off coupon?

Go to ring up with $300 worth of stuff and HD won't accept the coupon.

HD and Lowe's don't have a written policy on honoring "coupons", they actually only have a policy on matching exact items and giving you an extra 10% off. Amazingly, you can go into the same store, on a different shift and the mgr on duty could honor the coupon. They consider this a good will gesture to honor competitor coupons and it's up to manager's discretion. If this doesn't work, go to the next store if it's not too far and ask, it can't hurt.

I've heard stories like this from local folks recently and elsewhere, and as many have already stated it's almost entirely a function of local management policy.

I am at both stores at least once per week, even though I try to avoid HD. HD near me was a disorganized mess until Lowe's opened nearby. Much better now. Lowe's has automatic 5% discount on everything when you use their card. We did go to HD for a painting project and they offered the same deal so we got an HD card, but the discount is not automatic....you have to ask for it and sometimes a manager has to come over to swipe his magic card, so it's a hassle for small purchases.

I swing back and forth between the two. Many years ago, I was a Lowes devotee. I owned the stock (one of the few individual stocks I did well with). As an "owner", I even did little things like organize stray carts in the parking lot.

And then something really burned me up about them. I couldn't get service, and then they just didn't have the items I needed. So I sold my stock (I figured this was a bad sign) and went to HD. HD was so friendly! Stuff was in stock! I became a devotee. I got their credit card and would 5% off each time! Yeah!

And then, just last month, the roof caved in. Suddenly, some ugly service at the checkout (clerks yelling at each other over my head). And the final insult, they said "no more 5% discount, sorry". I looked it up on the internet, and it was true. HD is rolling out the elimination of the discount.

I've now swung back to Lowes. Maybe I'll get their card for the discount? Their "My Lowes" card is just a "big data" thing. Don't need that.

Reference about HD starting to eliminate discount:
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/blog/2013/11/st-louis-home-depot-stores-drop.html?page=all

It is more than St. Louis by now, I can confirm.

Last edited:
Two of my rentals have water issues (low PH ... think acidic) so my hot water tanks last less than a year (despite an N10 filtration system). So I've gotten in the habit of emptying and cutting the tanks free. I drag them to the Depot and swap them NO CHARGE since it's less than a year old. Don't know if Lowes would allow the same thing.

Two of my rentals have water issues (low PH ... think acidic) so my hot water tanks last less than a year (despite an N10 filtration system).
The tanks last less than a year? Dang I think I'd have to do something about that water--rental or no. Filtration isn't what you need, does your system include a pH neutralizer?

I also use the Lowe's credit card and get 5 percent back.

The tanks last less than a year? Dang I think I'd have to do something about that water--rental or no. Filtration isn't what you need, does your system include a pH neutralizer?

It's not a big problem because the tenants dissolve after a year anyway...

Come to think of it....the only Lowe's coupon I've ever seen was in the Post Office "change of address" kit. We got quite a few when the kids were moving in and out of the dorm. I think it was 10% but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. Where are folks getting these Lowe's coupons and what are the terms?

does your system include a pH neutralizer?

n10 is a ph neutralizer ... the elements used to last 3 MONTHS prior to the n10 system. The tenants use bottled water for drinking (even thou all federal standards are being met).

n10 is a ph neutralizer ... the elements used to last 3 MONTHS prior to the n10 system. The tenants use bottled water for drinking (even thou all federal standards are being met).

So is it the elements that go after a year, or the whole tank?

Elements are pretty cheap and a fairly easy DIY repair, and with two elements it doesn't quite turn into an emergency overnight, you have reduced hot water/recovery, but you still get hot water.

If it's the whole tank, man, I'd sure want to find a solution, I've never heard of tanks regularly going out that fast. Even the cheap ones have 6 year warranties (though you still have labor) - maybe warranties don't cover rental/commercial? I would think they'd be questioning repeated replacements like that. Sounds strange.

edit/add: What is an N10 system? Googling pretty much came up blank, other than maybe some references to nitrogen/nitrate/nitrite levels?

-ERD50

Last edited:
Like 'JoeWras', I go to the one that has pissed me off less recently, hehe.

Back
Top Bottom