Honda Pilot or Hyundai Palisade or Kia Telluride?

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
We're considering the 3 cars mentioned in the subject line for years 2020-2021. I've been doing too much research and now, I'm just more confused and conflicted than ever. Consumer Reports rates the reliability rating as: (1) Kia, (2) Hyundai, (3) Honda.

Does anyone have experience or an opinion about any or all of the 3 cars mentioned in the subject line?

Thanks!

Well unless you want your vehicle stolen buy the Pilot...

Funny you should mention that - I saw a Telluride that I was interested in until I looked at the AutoCheck report, which showed 1 theft record.

Wouldn't touch a Kia or Hyundai after the on-going debacle relating to the 2.4L GDI engine crank failures. Go talk to your local Hyundai service department and see how many they are replacing as we post. My local dealer replaced 12 engines in the past 2.5 months. Up to a 4 week job and no rental provided. According to the service rep it is dealer dependent on whether they provide a rental while the work is being done. He said they had an arrangement with National across the street for $35/day rentals. Purchase at your own risk.

I should mention that the Honda Pilot (2021 Black Edition version) was my frontrunner until I noticed that CR rated Pilots lower than the other two. Does anyone here own a 2020 or 2021 Honda Pilot and have you experienced any annoying problems? Looks like there have been issues reported with the in-car electronics.

You see the Consumer Reports article that came out yesterday? It was titled, "Worst Deals on New Cars Right Now".

According to the article, some new models are so hard to come by that consumers are paying well above the sticker price. One of the cars they listed among the top offenders: Kia Telluride: average of 22% Over MSRP

I know you are looking to buy used, but the premium prices for new are bound to be reflected in the prices of late model used.

Wouldn't touch a Kia or Hyundai after the on-going debacle relating to the 2.4L GDI engine crank failures. Go talk to your local Hyundai service department and see how many they are replacing as we post. My local dealer replaced 12 engines in the past 2.5 months. Up to a 4 week job and no rental provided. According to the service rep it is dealer dependent on whether they provide a rental while the work is being done. He said they had an arrangement with National across the street for $35/day rentals. Purchase at your own risk.

Oh gawd, I'm glad I posted this question then. I want no part of that stuff.

You see the Consumer Reports article that came out yesterday? It was titled, "Worst Deals on New Cars Right Now".

According to the article, some new models are so hard to come by that consumers are paying well above the sticker price. One of the cars they listed among the top offenders: Kia Telluride: average of 22% Over MSRP

I know you are looking to buy used, but the premium prices for new are bound to be reflected in the prices of late model used.

No doubt prices are crazy right now but unfortunately our 2011 Caddy is having more aches and pains than me right now so I think it's time to bite the bullet and blow some dough. Plus, we want to travel by car more so we need something reliable.

Any reason you aren't considering the Toyota Highlander?

Good question - I guess I got too focused on the 3 mentioned. Heading over to CR and TrueCar right now! Thanks for the reminder.

Oh gawd, I'm glad I posted this question then. I want no part of that stuff.

However, the 2.4 L is a four cylinder engine, the Kia and Hyundia models you listed only comes with a V6.

I had a 2013 Kia with 3.5 L V6 and currently have a 2017 Hyundia with 3.3 L V6. Great running engines that gave me no problems whatsoever. However, the 2013 Kia has had a recall for some cracks developing in the fuel rail in older engines.

I've had 2 Hyundai Sonatas, a 2004 that I traded in 2012 with over 200,000 miles for the new 2013 model. I loved both these cars, I sold the second one to Carvana in 2019 when I reduced my fleet from 3 down to 1 car. I loved them both and never had a mechanical issue with either of them. I changed the oil regularly and the timing belt on the 2004 model and that was about it. My daughter is still driving her 2010 Kia Soul that she has had since new with 155K miles on it and just changed the timing belt a couple of months ago for the first time and it still hadn't failed. She drove from California to Idaho right before that and I was freaking out in case it broke down but no problems whatsoever. They are about to have their first kid and are thinking they will buy a Hyundai Santa Cruz.

Any reason you aren't considering the Toyota Highlander?
Consumers top rates the Kia / Hyundai as tops, but the Highlander has a very rock solid reliability record. That is why I bought one.

Funny, I saw a friend this week, and asked what happened to his Pilot. Stolen, and totaled.

Consumers top rates the Kia / Hyundai as tops, but the Highlander has a very rock solid reliability record. That is why I bought one.

I bought two. :D

First one in 2015 and replaced it with a newer 2021 with all the safety bells and whistles earlier this year. Both were one year old and CPO.

Last edited:
We have a Kia Telluride. It’s got a 6 cylinder 3.8L engine, not the problematic engine mentioned above.

Anyway, we’ve had ours for maybe 1½ years now and love it. It drives very well, has plenty of room for lots of people, it even gets better gas mileage than the EPA numbers.

We’ve taken it on some road trips and it’s very comfortable on a long drive.

We paid sticker for it and waited a few months for the trim level we wanted. I’d buy this vehicle again in an instant.

If you have any specific questions I’d be happy to answer them.

I was in the car business 24 years, and my family still owns a big city luxury car dealership.

The Kia and Hyundai's look good, but they're no match for any vehicle built by Honda or Toyota. I'm into dependability and fuel mileage in my retirement, and I've got the new Toyota Venza Hybrid AWD--a great buy and 42.5 mpg.

I previously had a Ford Explorer XLT, and it was also a great vehicle in the 89K miles we put on it. The new RWD model is even better.

Stick with more mainstream brands you can get parts (new and used) easier and those mechanics are more familiar with.

Subaru ascent should be considered. As a general rule Subaru’s run 200k miles and hold value reasonably well.
For the record I did retire from Subaru manufacturing and May be somewhat partial.

Very happy with our 2019 Pilot, touring model. Gas mileage is not very good, however. I would second Dhickmans suggestion to check out the Subaru ascent. We also have a 2019 Subaru Forester touring that DW drives. Gas mileage is superior and have had not a single issue. I do believe the earlier comment about sticking with Hondas or Toyotas still holds true.

Bought a 2019 sub forester new. Considered the ascent but its was something like $10k more for 10 less mpg. Goad we dudnt, it was first year out and had a lot of kinks to work out. Love the forester and would consider an ascent if needed to replace. Zero issues. Fun to drive. Great gas mileage. All the safety bells whistles

My 2010 Highlander was a lemon. Nothing but problems. When the electrical system got to the point the windows would not close, the radio did not work, and the lights started blinking, I could not tolerate it and traded it for...a 2015 Lexus RX. Although that was a J-car, it has had problems as well. It's on the chopping block now. Wish I had waited a couple of months for the 2015 Sienna. Much better vehicle.

I would have trouble if I were in the market today. Not interested in paying $45k plus for a Highlander, Pilot or similar vehicle. The new Sienna is underpowered with a four cylinder and it's over $40k. I don't know anyone that has kept a Subaru much past 60k miles and I find the seating uncomfortable. VW and the Korean manufacturers don't have good long term records.

The 2017 Accord is running fine. Common sense says sell the Lexus and put the money into investments. Bah, humbug!

Scotty Kilmer was talking today about Hyundai/Kia/Honda reliability https://youtu.be/dIuHk3ZUAxo?t=103 Another source for reliability is repairpal, though the Telluride & Palisade are too new. Since vehicle reliability is a statistical question (not an anecdotal question), it's best to find reliable statistical data- large sample size- for a particular model and year. That's why I prefer to wait a few years for a particular model. As a manufacturer in general, Kia and Hyundai don't have a very good track record for making long lasting vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom