how long before cash is obsolete?

That is not why they check.
In fact, they know that the cost of exit checkers is more than anticipated shrinkage costs.
They do it to make you feel special. A member of the club.

Then why do they also have receipt checkers at Walmart? No club there.

I understand the receipt checkers. I have seen first hand where a couple of people tried to walk out of the store with a whole cart full of merchandise and when asked for their receipt said they must have dropped it while at the snack bar, but it has to be here somewhere.

Hmmm: Why Does Costco Check Receipts When People Leave the Store? https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-ca...ck-receipts-when-people-leave-the-store.html/

But it still doesn’t bother me at all.

Official Costco stance:
Why do I have to show my receipt at the door?
It is standard practice at all our warehouse locations to verify purchase receipts when customers exit our buildings.

We do this to double-check that the items purchased have been correctly processed by our cashiers. It's our most effective method of maintaining accuracy in inventory control, and it's also a good way to ensure that our members have been charged properly for their purchases.

Last edited:
Other advice about Costco receipt checking:

Costco employees are checking for the following things when customers leave the store:

• A code on the top and bottom of the receipt that changes daily so employees know the receipt was, indeed, printed that day.
  • The item count on the bottom of the receipt to make sure there were no under or over charges.
  • High-end items such as jewelry, stamps, electronics, or items over $300, which need supervisors' initials on them.
  • Large items like tissue and water, which have various signifiers on the receipt to ensure final checks include a look at the bottom of the basket.

Hmmm: Why Does Costco Check Receipts When People Leave the Store? https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-ca...ck-receipts-when-people-leave-the-store.html/

But it still doesn’t bother me at all.

Official Costco stance: Why do I have to show my receipt at the door?

We do this to double-check that the items purchased have been correctly processed by our cashiers.
Doesn’t bother me either.

I haven’t used a Costco cashier in months, since they put in self checkout - so now they’re checking me. However I’ve noticed they seem to just count how many items and not what, if the number of items on the receipt match the cart, they stripe the receipt to approve.

their store, their rules. i simply choose not to participate. same with Fry’s Electronics.

we shop wally a lot while on the road and can’t recall the last time we had a checker that fits your deccription. OTOH while my wife likes Costco i don’t appreciate the presumption that we’re thieves after leaving the checkout lane and having to show our receipt while the employee matches purchases to the receipt. i’ll buy gas at Costco if i need it and i’m in the area but that’s it.

rk911, think of the receipt line as Costco protecting you along with Costco against thieves who rip us all off. Loss of goods to shoplifters is a huge problem for most stores. One point of entry and exit with an inspection must save them a lot and allow Costco prices to continue to be lower than many other stores and even Amazon.

In my area the DA won't even prosecute shop lifters if the amount is under $750 officially. Unofficially, stores know it has to be many thousands before a thief is prosecuted. A recent store video shows a woman punching out a store clerk who stood in her way while while she tried to push a cart full of goods out the door without paying for it. My guess is she won't even be prosecuted for assault. Several big stores have left the downtown area because the shopfitting and the need for security guards have wiped out the profits. I view those inspections as protecting me from paying for the shoplifter's life of crime.

Last edited:
Bought some Imodium at a pharmacy down in Guatemala last month - uniformed guard outside the purchase window with a pistol grip 12 gauge ready to assist customers to a better world. I can manage the Costco receipt checkers ok - one even spotted a double charge on my receipt a couple years back.

Bought some Imodium at a pharmacy down in Guatemala last month - uniformed guard outside the purchase window with a pistol grip 12 gauge ready to assist customers to a better world. I can manage the Costco receipt checkers ok - one even spotted a double charge on my receipt a couple years back.

I did read one article about Costco, that said the reason the have the receipts checkers is to make sure you were not overcharged.
I was like, sure, /s/
On the other it doesn't bother me.

I did read one article about Costco, that said the reason the have the receipts checkers is to make sure you were not overcharged.
I was like, sure, /s/
On the other it doesn't bother me.

On one occasion the checker noted that one item I had paid for was not in the cart. That is the only time they actually stopped me at the exit.

Back on topic.... When the power goes out for several days after a storm or other natural disaster, cash is King at the local Quicky Mart, Supermarket, and other places.

Again, why should a transaction between me and the local Chinese-restaurant/dry cleaner/bicycle-store/etc. have to go through some 3rd party's financial system? Nobody has explained that to me yet.

Last edited:
Again, why should a transaction between me and the local Chinese-restaurant/dry cleaner/bicycle-store/etc. have to go through some 3rd party's financial system? Nobody has explained that to me yet.

Going cashless gives you less of control of your money. Unfortunately, some people are willing to give up control under the guise of convenience.

Going cashless gives you less of control of your money. Unfortunately, some people are willing to give up control under the guise of convenience.

Or infection control, or record keeping, or rebates.

Cash money can be very dirty. Witness China disinfecting a bunch of their paper currency right after the virus hit.

I never mind showing the receipt at Costco.

Shoplifting is a big problem at Walmart. Even Home Depot has problems. I think they usually do not know until they run an inventory and find that a lot of small but expensive items walk by themselves off the stores. One time, I stopped to chat with an employee running an inventory check at the old HomeBase (closed due to bankruptcy many years ago), and that's how I learned the story.

Last edited:

Am I missing something here? Aside from the convenience and the cashback rebates which are obvious, I fail to see what control of my money I'm giving up by avoiding using cash. On the contrary, I have far more control over how much I spend, what I spend it on and where I can look if I ever need to should the need arise.

Am I missing something here? Aside from the convenience and the cashback rebates which are obvious, I fail to see what control of my money I'm giving up by avoiding using cash. On the contrary, I have far more control over how much I spend, what I spend it on and where I can look if I ever need to should the need arise.

There are already several well documented instances of banks and credit card companies refusing to do business with people who have the wrong political opinion, even though that is illegal.

If your bank decided to close your account or your credit card company cancelled your card because they didn't like how you think, would you still want to go cashless?

Read an article about Amazon opening grocery stores without any kind of checkout -- you have to load an app onto a smart device, then cameras & motion sensors figure out what you pick from the shelves, and you are billed electronically.

Never work; this discriminates against those who do not possess or do not desire to use "devices." We still have "Legal tender for all debts, public and private"

There are already several well documented instances of banks and credit card companies refusing to do business with people who have the wrong political opinion, even though that is illegal.

If your bank decided to close your account or your credit card company cancelled your card because they didn't like how you think, would you still want to go cashless?
While there are examples of such discrimination on sites with zero credibility, there are only a few seriously documented isolated cases of banks and credit card companies refusing to do business with people over the political views, trivial numbers versus the millions of customers out there. Banks and credit card companies don't know most customers political views.

However, while it's illegal to discriminate over employees political activities, it's not illegal for private businesses to discriminate over customers political views in most states in the US.

It's not something 99.99% of us need to be concerned over...

Last edited:
While there are examples of such discrimination on sites with zero credibility, there are only a few seriously documented isolated cases of banks and credit card companies refusing to do business with people over the political views, trivial numbers versus the millions of customers out there. Banks and credit card companies don't know most customers political views.

However, while it's illegal to discriminate over employees political activities, it's not illegal for private businesses to discriminate over customers political views in most states in the US.

It's not something 99.99% of us need to be concerned over...

The people that had their credit cards cancelled made their political views inadvertently "known" by donating to an organization that has 10's of millions of members. That's a little more than %0.01.

I guess it's all fine and dandy until one day you make a donation to the wrong organization or buy something from the wrong store and lose your credit card privileges.

I never mind showing the receipt at Costco.

Shoplifting is a big problem at Walmart. Even Home Depot has problems. I think they usually do not know until they run an inventory and find that a lot of small but expensive items walk by themselves off the stores. One time, I stopped to chat with an employee running an inventory check at the old HomeBase (closed due to bankruptcy many years ago), and that's how I learned the story.

i recall reading a few years back that the single biggest factor in retail "shrinkage"....polite for theft...are the employees, not the customers.

i recall reading a few years back that the single biggest factor in retail "shrinkage"....polite for theft...are the employees, not the customers.

My friend's mother used to manage a grocery store. Employee theft was one of their biggest problems. Even my friend that runs a small auto body shop has to deal with employee theft.

The people that had their credit cards cancelled made their political views inadvertently "known" by donating to an organization that has 10's of millions of members. That's a little more than %0.01.

I guess it's all fine and dandy until one day you make a donation to the wrong organization or buy something from the wrong store and lose your credit card privileges.
Are you alleging that “10’s of millions of members” of one (an) organization had their credit cards canceled? If so, obviously you can provide a link. Otherwise I call BS. I couldn’t find anything like that...

I found this, which is cards cancelled due to illegal use https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/credit-card-companies-cutting-ties-with-hate-groups/. Not what you’re alleging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom