How long has it been since you had a Twinkie?

I can't remember ever having one. They don't even register on my vision.

Ha

Never

Andre1969 said:
.....would buy the cheaper Little Debbie versions. I got so used to the taste of 'em, that the next time I tried a Ho-Ho, it just didn't taste right!....
I just bought 2 boxes of Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls last night! I never really cared for the Ho-Ho's. We also picked up a bag of the Hostess Chocolate-covered Donettes....miniatures for today's breakfast! We love those things!

As for Twinkies....I might eat a couple 2-packs each year. The local hardware store has those and the Hostess Cupcakes in a rack by the checkout, and sometimes I 'need' a light snack (sugar buzz) to keep going! Haha!

I have probably eaten three twinkies in the last year. None in the ten years before that. My cousin loves twinkies and since she moved upstairs I have had three maybe four. For liking them so much she has willpower. She can buy a box and take two weeks to eat them. She is in mourning for them though. lol

Only had a few Twinkies in my life - didn't really appeal to me. And no chocolate? Is that really a snack?

Ho-Ho's had chocolate, but I recall them tasting pretty gross. I loved the idea of the cupcakes - chocolate with a cream filling...mmmm. And that curly-cue icing was a great visual touch. I seem to recall they were pretty good, but it's been so long I don't know.

Somewhere I saw a recipe for the cupcakes, but made to the style with real quality ingredients, not trying to copy it exactly. I bet those are good!

Speaking of chemicals, I love this bit:

The Shelf Life of a Vintage Twinkie : NPR

Roger Bennatti wanted to find out just how long a Twinkie would really last, so he left one sitting on his blackboard for three decades.

I think it's funny that people are grossed out by the shelf life of Twinkies, but wouldn't be bothered by that in honey. From wiki:

Honey, and objects immersed in honey, have been preserved for decades and even centuries.

Honey is full of chemicals too. Lots of 'em.

-ERD50

I don't recall my last Twinkie, but surely it wasn't too long ago.

I always go for the Suzy-Q's, especially since they are so hard to find these days. I don't think it's that they're that good, it's more of a nostalgia/comfort thing.

Love hoho's and am regularly amused at the clever marketing of the 3 pack - two to eat and one to share. Purchasing a pack at the mini-mart is an act of actual benevolence :)

I also occasionally like to eat zingers, but just like reading a trashy magazine, hope that no one actually see's me buying or actually doing the deed :blush:

How could not love something this weird?

zingers.jpg

BTW - these are great with champagne.

Interesting -- I heard it as cockroaches and Keith Richards.
Yes, kids, they're two completely different species, although the cockroach couldn't handle quite as much radiation...

Love hoho's and am regularly amused at the clever marketing of the 3 pack - two to eat and one to share. Purchasing a pack at the mini-mart is an act of actual benevolence :)

I also occasionally like to eat zingers, but just like reading a trashy magazine, hope that no one actually see's me buying or actually doing the deed :blush:

How could not love something this weird?

View attachment 13416

BTW - these are great with champagne.
Yes ! red zingers ! (although i haven't had one for many years now..)

My trombone warm up routine (from 2004):

warmupsmaller.jpg

I preferred the cupcakes too, but when the ingredients changed so as to remove transfats, the flavor changed for the worse.

Before they changed the ingredients to make them [-]healthy[/-] less dangerous they were pretty good and I ate a lot of them on midnight shifts. Coffee didn't do much good to keep me awake and maybe it was the sugar rush that worked.

But after the ingredient change they tasted kinda flat and mushy. And after I had to go gluten-free they came off the menu entirely.

It's been 41 years. We used to take our high school lunch money and spend it on twinkies and cokes instead of on cafeteria food.

Heard yesterday that Hostess Brands filed for bankruptcy (again).

How long since your last Twinkie? Probably been 20 years for me, I never particularly liked Twinkies.

box_cupcakes.jpg

So... how long HAS it been?

Those are pretty good, but me being the athlete that I am.......I rarely have one. I usually stick to the below as a pick me up.

Attachments

• fudge-brownies.gif
    fudge-brownies.gif
    26.6 KB · Views: 94
Looks like lots of people enjoy baked sweet snacks, just not Twinkies. My BIL is a food scientist and worked in facilities that made these products and he never eats them. He does have plenty too say, but I'll share that another time - don't want to ruin anyone's good Twinkie memories.

As for me, I like chocolate and always preferred chocolate snacks. M&Ms, Hersheys, Milky Way, Crunch bars, Cadbury's, Garotos, Malted Milk Balls, Toblerone, El Rey ... It didn't matter to me where it was made as long as it had cocoa. In fact, I sought out products made elsewhere. I eat chocolate infrequently now, because it is so addictive, but Mom is coming to visit, and she has a sweet tooth that won't stop, so my intake will soon increase.

Great, Mexican twinkies. How long before Chinese and then Korean twinkies appear on our shelves...:facepalm:

At least the name is cool "Bimbo".....there is a joke there somewhere but I need more coffee first..........;)

At least the name is cool "Bimbo".....there is a joke there somewhere but I need more coffee first..........;)
It is a Mexican food company, Grupo Bimbo, and the name has no meaning in Spanish.

My BIL is a food scientist and worked in facilities that made these products and he never eats them. He does have plenty too say, but I'll share that another time.
I hope you do, I'll bet there are some interesting stories...

Back
Top Bottom