How many would close their mailboxes?

USPS could still deliver packages that you asked to have delivered. They have a great infrastructure to compete with the others in that regard.

As to the security question, I don't have any faith that snail mail is safer than email.

Quote : This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer asks the PO to stop delivering him the mail. And this was around 1997-98 when all the e-commerce was not as widely used as it is today.

So True... I think the moderators should shut this thread down, as someone could get hurt. Per the attached.

sienfeld mail post master general - Bing video

I still like the daily walk to the mailbox, occasionally there is money in there - :)

And my monthly financial statements that go into the binder and they are even 3 hole punched for ease of insertion.

Sometimes there are invitations to parties or weddings or other fun stuff.

But mostly junk mail and I am so good at telling the difference that I just toss it in the can unopened.

Last, but not least, there is the stuff I order off the internet that comes in a USPS flat rate box or bag.

Gives me a sense of power to toss the junk mail.

Our mailman is a good guy.

And receiving mail is free too!!!!!:)

As others mentioned - the amazon factor is a big one in our house- most amazon deliveries are via USPS.

Additionally we get medical bills, pension statements, etc for MIL. (DH is her legal guardian). Some of the medical providers do not do online statements. Plus it provides him records for presenting to court annually. (He has to show he managed her affairs properly each year.)

USPS could still deliver packages that you asked to have delivered. They have a great infrastructure to compete with the others in that regard.

Was that directed to me? They DO NOT do home delivery to my house. If I don't have a box (with a few package lockers in the kiosk area) where would they deliver to?

Not me. I love mail. I still get cards from family and friends on all the usual holidays (as well as many of the smaller ones) and postcards from vacations. I don't mind junk mail because it's easy enough to toss (unlike junk phone calls) and every so often a new catalog catches my eye and I see something I like).

I would happily give up USPS service, or they could reduce the delivery frequency at the very least. Despite actively discouraging it, most of what we get is junk mail - a complete waste of resources IMO.

Now that I think of it, some businesses would have to do far better with their on-line and phone systems than they do now. Today I'm sending out two snail-mail letters, one to a doctor and one to the facility where I had a procedure; both collected up front and then the insurance paid 100%, so I want a refund. I know from experience that e-mails to the doc's office are ignored. Phone? Sure. Maybe it will be the one time out of 100 you don't get sent to voicemail.

I would keep the mailbox for the few important pieces of mail we get, and for Amazon Prime. But if I could opt out of all unsolicited mail (is that called spam, if it's printed?), I would be a happy camper.

It's refreshing to see so many of us favor electronic communication for most things.

I'm trying to influence fellow board members to offer an *option* to receive the twice-a-year community newsletter via email only. But there are fears that some of our older residents don't have email (...um, that's why it would be an opt-in decision). Others are afraid that the businesses that advertise in our newsletter would be upset because they want the paper version to be laying around the house for reference. They don't understand how some of us operate. My paper copy of the newsletter goes in the trash and I download a pdf copy from the website to my iPad. It's a waste of paper and postage to send me a snail-mail copy.

Well, there's always one, and I guess I'm him.

All of our utility bills are delivered and paid by snail mail. I never liked the idea of allowing them to pull money from my checking account - a misplaced decimal point or two and I'm suddenly broke. For a very long time we only had one PC and I was reluctant to put ourselves in a position where we're cut off from paying for utilities and cc bills if/when the computer dies. So we still do it the old fashioned way. Frankly, I see no reason to change as I don't think it would be all that much easier anyway. A bill comes in, I sit down and write a check, it goes out the next day. I do not find that an onerous burden.

YMMV

We get a lot of cards in the mail, and I get several magazines. So no, we're not taking down the mailbox anytime soon.

I love junk mail - it gets me gold stars and campaign ribbons to add to my Curmudgeon certificate so people won't think I'm sleeping on my laurels.

heh heh heh - a little cross thread among forum posters eh. :rolleyes:

I never liked the idea of allowing them to pull money from my checking account - a misplaced decimal point or two and I'm suddenly broke.

Only one vendor gets to do that with my account-Planet Fitness, and there were no other options. No issues so far. Every other vendor paid out of my account is through payments I initiate when the bill comes in. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Why in the world would I want to close myself off from the most comprehensive system for sending and receiving communications, packages,etc. in this country?

My younger sister hand writes a letter to me once or twice per year updating family stuff. It's pretty nice getting a several page letter every now and then.

Otherwise, I wouldn't miss the post office as long as Fed Ex or UPS could fill in and deliver the credit cards, packages, etc. We use Bank bill pay for almost all our periodic bills. In a pinch, utilities could be paid at the Customer Service desk at the grocery store. You would be surprised as to how many folks use that payment method.

This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer asks the PO to stop delivering him the mail. And this was around 1997-98 when all the e-commerce was not as widely used as it is today.

I was able to stop two frequent sources of junk mail - endless letters from Verizon and Optimum (local cable TV provider) wanting me to upgrade to their overpriced, bundled, premium services. I had to call each outfit but it did work so the amount of junk mail has declined. Now I gotta get Geico and Amex to stop it. I hope I won't have to buy another paper shredder for a while, I have gone through 2 or 3 over the years.

I'm on the opposite end and recently just got a shredder to safely clean out about 30 years of paper in various folders. I got an Amazon Basics shredder that I really like as it a hungry one :) and handles up to 12 pages at a time. I've procrastinated though about shredding all my old pay stubs (I've saved every one including my very first paycheck). I'll probably shred them too as they serve no purpose except for nostalgia. Yet, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

For me, other than the odd "official notice" that I actually need...

A couple of years ago, I decided I would stop USPS delivery all together -- a response to their 30-day limit on "Hold" mail.

I was, in fact, able (within a couple weeks) to divert most to some other means (e.g., electronic). This was all of the magazines (except one, which I cancelled) and monthly bills (utilities, credit cards, etc.). What I never was able to do was convert things like tax notices, jury duty demands, and such. As such, I was unable to stop mail delivery completely. Nevertheless, I now only get about 2-3 pieces a day of unwanted stuff and I can live with that.

On the other hand, this, actually, worked out pretty well because in the meantime Amazon has switched to the USPS as their primary carrier. I can now get 2-day delivery that recognizes Saturdays and Sunday as valid delivery days. I do like that.

That's how I get my credit cards.

A year or so ago, one of our cards was used fraudulently (Citi or Capital One, I forget which). They sent a replacement card overnight via FedEx or UPS (I forget which). You don't NEED USPS for this purpose.

A year or so ago, one of our cards was used fraudulently (Citi or Capital One, I forget which). They sent a replacement card overnight via FedEx or UPS (I forget which). You don't NEED USPS for this purpose.
This happened to me two weeks ago. Citibank used FedEx priority overnight delivery by Noon.

Nobody in my neighborhood puts important outgoing mail in their boxes anymore. Kids were taking it. I would be okay with twice a week route delivery.

Last edited:

That's replacement card. Will they do the same for a new or renewal card?

When was the last time anyone here wrote, or received, a "proper" letter?
My signature is still good but the rest of my handwriting had deteriorated badly. Now I know why FIL used to print. Even his printing was deteriorating.
And receiving mail is free too!!!!!:)
Put a user fee on receiving mail and watch the USPS deficit go away quickly. I think this is the only way they will gain financial control!:D
I would be okay with twice a week route delivery.
Yes twice a week should suffice for personal deliveries. Just need to develop an organized way to get rid of junk mail. They accept it now to defray costs, but a user delivery fee would do that more effectively.

That's replacement card. Will they do the same for a new or renewal card?

Amex does and there isn't any additional charge. USAA does (or did) as well, but they charged to send it that way.

I would love to see the option to select every other day or maybe even once a week delivery. Once a week would be great for me...I would even pay a small fee to arrange this. Every other entity is going with a subscription model, so perhaps the USPS should consider that (for optional delivery periods).

Here's something about how Americans feel when they get different types of mail:

http://www.marketingcharts.com/trad...t/gallup-americans-reactions-to-mail-apr2015/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom