How Much Is A Haircut?

I pay $22, $27 with tip every 4 weeks. But the stylist is a friend of ours, and she does hair & nails for DW, so we don't care what she charges. When we relocate, I'll probably just go to a SuperCuts or some generic place, if I still have hair...

I try not to short change a person who is holding two 5 inch knives about 1 inch from my eyes and throat.

Sticker shock (and i'm young). I've been living around the world for a while now and just back visiting the good ol' USA. Having sticker shock at times. I've been having some haircuts for $2-$3 and many for $10 - all overseas. In rural(ish) Texas, I just went to two places that charge $19 or $20. I'm talking standard men's haircut. These are just regular barber shops?

What do you pay?

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour. So by my calculations, that is $40 an hour or an equivalent salary of $83,000. That is assuming he is full up for 8 hours a day. When I checked his calendar he was pretty full.

In my part of Texas, $10 at one place, $12 at two others, and all three are traditional men's barbershop. I have never been to a Sports Clips or similar variations on that theme. I am sure they charge more for the atmosphere.

Here in Peru, I pay $4.60. ( for a hot chick) but I could easily pay $3.70 ( for an old man). The result is always the same, but I mostly seem to end up paying $4.60.

DH pays $20 including tip. The barber's chair is almost always empty when he goes. OP, why not hang out at the barber for 40 hours a week and see how often he has a customer and then ask what he takes home? I don't think barber is perceived as a lucrative profession.

Many people cut their own hair or have a spouse who does it for them--you could go that route.

ETA DS goes here in Texas: https://www.floydsbarbershop.com A little pricey but a great haircut.

Last edited:
$16 here and I still complain. I have so little hair it only takes about 10 minutes to cut it.

$15 plus tip in my area. And that is one of the cheaper places. Many hair salons for men now charge $20+. I live in an area with high rental costs.

12 euro, at the local turkish guy. Chain store is 25 euro. Netherlands.

My husband paid 10 GBP in London for a hair cut while his sister paid 45 GBP at a fancy saloon. He has very thick straight hair. So even in HCOL it's not expensive.

The barber here charges $8 and hasn't raised his price since we moved here 14 years ago. I give him a $2 tip, maybe I should raise that a bit after seeing what others pay.

We go to cheap places like SuperCuts. It's $11-12 even for ladies. Or maybe it's $13, I think they went up a $1 recently. But we get $1 off for being "seniors".

I only get a full haircut about twice a year. I usually just get my bangs cut, and that's half price.

Last edited:
I trimmed up DH's hair with sewing shears after he grew it long post-Army years, but he put the kibosh on that when he got a real job (the long hair and my barbering duties). Not to mention it ruined the shears.

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year. So, by one way of reckoning, we're now down to about 5 cents per cut. Since I keep it clipped pretty short, I have trouble dishing out $15 plus tips to have it done for me...about 3-4 minutes in the chair...not a whole lot of styling going on there. I'm hoping to get another 18-20 years out of the clipper...more if I can. I'm targeting 2 cents per clip average over time, if I can keep it running that long.

I bought perhaps the same $18 clipper maybe 15 years ago. Was it an Andis? It broke after four years and I splurged and got an $80 kit: top quality motor (quiet and cool), ceramic blade, all the guards I could want.

I've cut my own hair for twelve years. Perhaps at the same frequency as rambler. I reckon I'm at best $0.35 per cut.

I do have fond memories of getting my hair cut in Korea for $5 ($3.50 plus tip), which included a fine back, shoulder, neck, and scalp massage circa 2001. It's been a good 17 years since ive seen a barber pull out a straight razor and strop and clean up the edges properly. I'm sure they're still out there, but I haven't been looking.

DH uses the flowbee on himself.

Younger son is growing his hair out - he has gorgeous curls with blonde highlights - women would kill to have hair like his. Turns out young teenage girls also like playing with his hair so he's refusing to get it cut. LOL

We were giving older son cuts at home using the flowbee for the longer hair on top - and clippers for the sides/back... but he always found things to complain about... so now we go to Great Clips... We don't get the $7 coupons, unfortunately... our mailer coupons are $9.99... plus a $2 tip.

I have long hair... I make DH trim about 4" off every 6-8 months...

I am hair challenged ( top of head only). I get my haircut done at Great Clips here in Illinois. I look for the $7.00 coupons which come in the mail. Takes the stylist :cool: about 5-7 minutes to cut my hair. I'm good for a $3-$4 tip and yes, I am cheap.

Connecticut - posted price is $16; I always give him $20.

OK. so I go for my monthly haircut, and its a new owner. the former owner moved to Boca Ratan to open up a kosher bakery. Well, although I dont exactly have hair like Fabio, I sure missed the old barber. He was having a grand opening special, $14 dollars the guy is singing in Spanish to me and he has an awful voice. If thats not bad enough, he pauses maybe 10 times to play(text?) with his phone. I ask him how much just in case its not the $14 that i see posted everywhere. I give him $25 and will never return. Unless Im very wrong this store will be for rent very soon

In Maryland, I just paid $18 with a $7 tip, about 30 minutes in the chair and he does a good job.

OK. so I go for my monthly haircut, and its a new owner. the former owner moved to Boca Ratan to open up a kosher bakery. Well, although I dont exactly have hair like Fabio, I sure missed the old barber. He was having a grand opening special, $14 dollars the guy is singing in Spanish to me and he has an awful voice. If thats not bad enough, he pauses maybe 10 times to play(text?) with his phone. I ask him how much just in case its not the $14 that i see posted everywhere. I give him $25 and will never return. Unless Im very wrong this store will be for rent very soon
How disappointing! I got my hair cut at Supercuts today, and the stylist was such fun! She happily chatted on and on about the challenges of dealing with her 12 year old son, her own problems with her hair, her Katrina evacuation, and all sorts of stuff. That sure made it more pleasant. Much better than if she decided to sing or stop and text like your barber. :LOL: I think that would have been too much! She did a great job for $13.95 (including a $2 senior discount), plus tip.

Back
Top Bottom