How would you deal with this situation.

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
About a mile from my house in a suburban neighborhood there is a house that is well completely neglected. Two broken windows, no shrubs in fron or on the sides of the house, needs a good power washing mold growing all over, no real window coverings old sheets. There is even paint and chalk written on the garage doors from the kids who live in the house. They drive get this a newer RED expedition! The house is about 4 years old looks 25 YO already. The windows actually have been broken now for over 8 months and have blue painters tape holding the glass together!

The people living next to them are well older and seem not to want to make trouble. The family that lives in the house is not illegal . Crazy how some people just let the eyesore fester. It is not good for anyone in the neighborhood. I run through the street on many of my runs. I almost want to knock on the door and say I will relpace your windows!

I would thank my lucky stars that the house is not next door to mine!! And then I would butt out and think of something else with which to occupy my mind.

I almost want to knock on the door and say I will relpace your windows!
I'm sure they will let you replace their windows. Hard to say with your little snapshot, but you're potentially inviting folks into your life that you really don't want to be mixed up with. You're intentions are great, but I agree with W2R. Sadly, it sounds like better than even odds you could (painfully) learn the meaning of 'no good deed goes unpunished.' YMMV

I would thank my lucky stars that the house is not next door to mine!! And then I would butt out and think of something else with which to occupy my mind.

Oh believe me I will Not get involved BUT that IS how neighborhoods fall apart people say I will not get involved. But yes real glad not next door.

You may want to file a complaint with the City. There is a municipal housing code that all houses should comply to. I'm sure the inspectors will find something to cite. It will at least get your neighbors' attention. You can file it anonymously. In my city that's the most effective way to deal with situations like that. I have several friends that work in the Department of Safety and Inspections--their job is to inspect, cite, and impose fines on properties. The system is entirely complaint based, so unless they get a complaint, they don't do anything.

There's a good chance that some neighbors are already working with the city to try to get something done. Probably never happen though.

Jeesh! You try to LBYM in your mortgage free house and just cause your work provides you a nice car the the Jones, not even from your neighborhood, are trying to "improve" your living conditions. Damn bunch of good doers! Can't a millionaire live in peace?

Agree with GoodSense - file complaint with the city/county/whoever has jurisdiction. Then forget about it.

Step One
File a complaint with homeowners assoc if there is one or city. Try to identify specific code violations, not just 'it's ugly'.

Step Two
Flood thier mailbox with "we buy ugly house fliers"

Step Three
Make an offer to buy the house

Im only serious about step one!

Yeah, I would file the complaint, and keep doing it every month until something happens. If you have friends in your neighborhood, mention the messiness and the lack of code compliance and say something like " we should all file a complaint". Check back with them to see if they did. There is usually more strength in numbers with this kind of thing.

R

Could it be a rental?

Second the suggestion of getting more neighbors to call. In our city, when we are really serious about cracking down on properties in violation (which doesn't happen often), we actually map the ones with more complaints in 2 years in a different color to highlight the seriousness of the issue.

Back
Top Bottom