Hurricane Ida

^^^^^
Are you concerned with storm surge or flooding? What's your elevation... Stay safe.

If I get flooded where I'm at this city will be like Venice, Italy I'm at about 13 feet and the levees around here would have to fail like they did in New Orleans during Katrina its going to be interesting and like I've stated above lived thru blizzards where only way out was digging tunnels with no power for 4 days in sub zero temperatures thats why I moved South (DUH on my part LOL). I'm on the West side of Houma newer part and lots of people are staying put. I will give peeps updates if I don't loose everything

If I get flooded where I'm at this city will be like Venice, Italy I'm at about 13 feet and the levees around here would have to fail like they did in New Orleans during Katrina its going to be interesting and like I've stated above lived thru blizzards where only way out was digging tunnels with no power for 4 days in sub zero temperatures thats why I moved South (DUH on my part LOL). I'm on the West side of Houma newer part and lots of people are staying put. I will give peeps updates if I don't loose everything
It will be interesting to hear what you "experaince" in the next 12 hours or so... Looks like Houma may be in the path to see the eye of this storm.....

Again stay safe and I wish you the best.

Last edited:
I have relatives that live in Houma... I'm sure (well hope) they evacuated but I can't reach them by land line and they don't have a cell phone. They lost their New Orleans home in Katrina and I'm afraid the the same will happen now with Ida... I guess I'll never understand why anyone who's home was destroyed in one Hurricane buys another that's even closer to the coast.:facepalm:

Depends how good the insurance payout was. ;)

150 mph at sea level, 933 millibars and 16 foot storm surge as the eye wall crossed over land.

Depends how good the insurance payout was. ;)
Funny you say that... IIRC, it took them about a year to get a payout but it was enough for them to buy a small house in Houma... Still, even if I liked the region, I think I would have moved northward and not south...

Last edited:
It came ashore as a Cat4. Much smaller than Katrina, buy more powerful.

Prayers for all folks impacted!

I have relatives that live in Houma... I'm sure (well hope) they evacuated but I can't reach them by land line and they don't have a cell phone. They lost their New Orleans home in Katrina and I'm afraid the the same will happen now with Ida... I guess I'll never understand why anyone who's home was destroyed in one Hurricane buys another that's even closer to the coast.:facepalm:

A lot of brave folks down in Houma. Prayers that they get through this safely.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of Mebden, Houma is getting hit hard right now.

FWIW, here is a webcam from the heart of Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I have been peeking at it occasionally, but so far one can sometimes see folks walking down the street, and an umbrella and some plants on the upper left appear unaffected. It will be interesting to see things getting worse. Best wishes to everyone in southern Louisiana!

Last edited:
Leeville just had a wind gust of 153 mph Just reported.

Leeville is near the eye.

Continuing prayers for the entire affected area.

There's widespread loss of power. Entergy, the utility company, is working to restore power, but it will not be soon.

And on the news, they said the pumps to prevent flooding in the case of hurricanes need electric power!

Seems to me, diesel engines would be better to power these emergency pumps than electric motors, but I am of course no expert.

There's widespread loss of power. Entergy, the utility company, is working to restore power, but it will not be soon.

And on the news, they said the pumps to prevent flooding in the case of hurricanes need electric power!

Seems to me, diesel engines would be better to power these emergency pumps than electric motors, but I am of course no expert.

Absolutely in emergency situations.

Unless the diesel engines are attached to small electric generators. Running pumps directly off the engines would be harder to do efficiently.

I have family in the NOLA and Atlanta areas. Was advised this morning by cousin in Atlanta that our relative in Baton Rouge is ok. However he is unable to
text our other family in NOLA, assumes that cell towers are down. They do have generators and are resourceful, are old hands at this and should be ok.

I have family in the NOLA and Atlanta areas. Was advised this morning by cousin in Atlanta that our relative in Baton Rouge is ok. However he is unable to
text our other family in NOLA, assumes that cell towers are down. They do have generators and are resourceful, are old hands at this and should be ok.

Just saw a news item where AT&T said 40% of it's cell system in Louisiana was out.

Well made it thru the hurricane no power, lots of roofs in needed repair I did have water damage inside the house from the shingles getting ripped off just material things also no water all neighbors here are ok but houses roofs took a beating

Sorry he was unable to text other family in NOLA! We have been pretty lucky with texting, I guess. F has been able to contact a dozen family members and friends who are stuck in NOLA, by texting, and so far all have answered. Even though some were dealing with a lot of damage, they were SO glad to hear something from the outside world since having no internet or electricity is pretty isolating. He's texting another right now.

It's scary to imagine that if we had delayed our evacuation by much at all, we'd be stuck there too. No power, no water, no sewage, no internet, no connectivity with the outside world.

I have been following Ida, the next big hurricane that is forecasted to hit the U.S., probably somewhere in the gulf coast, most likely Louisiana. I was thinking about the Forum members who live in that area. What are you folks doing to prepare?
Check out the "This weather is awful!!" thread. Or maybe they should move some of those posts over to this new thread.

I'm going to continue any of my posts about Hurricane Ida here - - I originally had already been posting about it for days and days before this thread was ever started (on the "This Weather is Awful!" thread). I'll put a notice over there that I'm putting the rest of my aftermath posts on this thread, since I think it is terribly confusing to have two threads going at once covering the same topic.

Reported in the "Weather" thread, W2R and F evacuated successfully. Here is hoping any damage is minimal. God be with everyone in the area.

Oh good, I was thinking of W2R and I hope her dream home is intact. And F’s as well.

Mebden, glad to hear that you made it through the storm safely. I saw some of the damage to your area on the networks, very very scary.
Take care and stay safe

Back
Top Bottom