Hurricane Ida

Good Idea W2R, I'm reading really bad things about getting electricity restored to a great area of NOLA...the uncertainly must be stressful for the two of you.

The latest estimates I have found, are that it will be 3 weeks before water, sewerage, and electricity are all restored so we can return. But then, I'd think that an estimate like that would be difficult to make with any certainty.

Right now, the interstates are closed because fallen trees and powerlines have made them impassable. Our Parish (=County) President has the entire Parish under a 24-hour curfew and people are not to be outside on the streets, which are still dangerous due to all the debris and obstructions. We probably won't try to return early this time, although we sneaked back early after Hurricane Katrina. But we are older now.

The latest estimates I have found, are that it will be 3 weeks before water, sewerage, and electricity are all restored so we can return. But then, I'd think that an estimate like that would be difficult to make with any certainty.

Right now, the interstates are closed because fallen trees and powerlines have made them impassable. Our Parish (=County) President has the entire Parish under a 24-hour curfew and people are not to be outside on the streets, which are still dangerous due to all the debris and obstructions. So, we are not tempted to try to return early, like we did after Hurricane Katrina.

Let's hope three weeks is the worst case estimate....so you guys will need to hunker down somewhere for awhile.

Right now, the interstates are closed because fallen trees and powerlines have made them impassable. Our Parish (=County) President has the entire Parish under a 24-hour curfew and people are not to be outside on the streets, which are still dangerous due to all the debris and obstructions. So, we are not tempted to try to return early, like we did after Hurricane Katrina.

W2R, where are you thinking of going? I think I remember you are in Memphis now, but isn't Memphis going to get hit by the remainder of Ida on Wednesday?
We are in our mountain cabin in Banner Elk, NC and it looks like we could get some flooding etc from the storm too and we are trying to decide whether we want to leave this area and go home. I don't want to be here if trees come down and the power goes out. The power was out a couple of days a week or so ago when storm Fred came through.

Sorry he was unable to text other family in NOLA! We have been pretty lucky with texting, I guess. F has been able to contact a dozen family members and friends who are stuck in NOLA, by texting, and so far all have answered. Even though some were dealing with a lot of damage, they were SO glad to hear something from the outside world since having no internet or electricity is pretty isolating. He's texting another right now.

It's scary to imagine that if we had delayed our evacuation by much at all, we'd be stuck there too. No power, no water, no sewage, no internet, no connectivity with the outside world.

Glad you made it out safely and I hope your dream home isn’t damaged, and that F and his home are fine too.

Glad you made it out safely and I hope your dream home isn’t damaged, and that F and his home are fine too.

I imagine not knowing the houses condition is so stressful, but they wouldn't be able to do a thing towards fixing damage anyway for quite some time.

Last edited:

Right now, the interstates are closed because fallen trees and powerlines have made them impassable. Our Parish (=County) President has the entire Parish under a 24-hour curfew and people are not to be outside on the streets, which are still dangerous due to all the debris and obstructions. We probably won't try to return early this time, although we sneaked back early after Hurricane Katrina. But we are older now.

That’s tough, 3 weeks is a long time. Hopefully you’ll be able to return sooner.

Very glad you elected to evacuate. I know that for some, evacuation is very difficult if not impossible and I always wonder "WHY!?!?" people would stay behind. I have seen a couple of the episodes of "Naked and Afraid" that is done in LA and guess what? None of them can do the full 21 days...they ALL tap out.

I worry about all the hospitals that have so maxed out and weren't really able to evacuate folks. Yes, they have generators, but I don't think they provide much more than what is absolutely necessary. It's going to be a long haul for a lot of people there.

I'm sure you could afford to cover the costs of 3 weeks in a hotel if needed but do you have family you could visit. You mentioned in an earlier thead that Frank was at work. Does he have a job he has to get back to?

Harllee, thanks for thinking of us. According to the NHC (see attached graphic) it looks like West Memphis, Arkansas, isn't going to get hit that hard. We are thinking, "so what if it rains". This motel room is nice and reasonably priced, so we are tentatively planning to stay.

Ivinsfan is right; every single family in the entire metro will be clamoring for roofers and so on. We may just have to be patient about getting any damage fixed.

And thanks, Scuba! I hope you are right and we have little to no damage. We'll find out once we get home. So far the reports from our immediate neighborhood have been encouraging.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 77
W2R if you are going to be displaced for several weeks you might want to look into renting a condo, apartment or small house through AirBNB. For the cost of a hotel room you probably could get a 2 bedroom apartment and you would have a living room, full kitchen and maybe a porch or deck.

Michael, thanks for your nice and understanding post. Most long time New Orleanians know exactly what they're getting into if they don't evacuate because they've Been There Done That. But you're right, life is so complex and there are a myriad of extremely good reasons why some one individual can't evacuate whereas another could.

Aaron, Frank has already told the bar owner that he's going to retire from his part time "fun job" at the bar before the end of the year. Honestly he wouldn't mind retiring right now because he's getting tired of it and would rather just spend less and not work. Actually he was scheduled to work Saturday afternoon, but we evacuated and then about an hour before the show Frank texted the bar owner and told him we were in Arkansas.

They have been friends for 25 years, so the bar owner just texted right back "Be safe!" :D Then the bar owner texted him again today and said he had roof damage and water in his own house and it was a pretty bad storm, so I'm sure he understands.

Very glad you elected to evacuate. I know that for some, evacuation is very difficult if not impossible and I always wonder "WHY!?!?" people would stay behind...

For some people, there is a huge cost barrier. If you don’t own a car, you have to rent one or pay for a bus ticket. Once you get out of the path of the hurricane there is housing and food costs. It might be hard to pay for a motel stay on top of the monthly rent/mortgage payment.

Very glad you elected to evacuate. I know that for some, evacuation is very difficult if not impossible and I always wonder "WHY!?!?" people would stay behind. I have seen a couple of the episodes of "Naked and Afraid" that is done in LA and guess what? None of them can do the full 21 days...they ALL tap out.

I worry about all the hospitals that have so maxed out and weren't really able to evacuate folks. Yes, they have generators, but I don't think they provide much more than what is absolutely necessary. It's going to be a long haul for a lot of people there.

Hospital generator power is usually pretty impressive, and in my experience in Florida, they are always the first grids, along with emergency services, to get back online. My home shares a grid with a hospital and fire station, and we've always come back up far sooner than others just a half mile away.

The 3 week estimate is probably to get 90% of folks back online. A large number of those will come back much sooner than that.

W2R if you are going to be displaced for several weeks you might want to look into renting a condo, apartment or small house through AirBNB. For the cost of a hotel room you probably could get a 2 bedroom apartment and you would have a living room, full kitchen and maybe a porch or deck.

Hotel rooms can really start to feel cramped after a while, the lack of cooking can be bad too. Well for now W2R I'm glad you feel safe and comfortable.

Last edited:
Yes, many reasons for not evacuating. The wife of my cousin who lives in suburban Kenner just had major surgery for cancer, part of her liver removed, and is still in the hospital in NOLA. My 91-yr old aunt lives in suburban Metairie and went to stay with my other cousin who lives on the North shore of Lake Pontchartrain--they have acreage and horses there, so not really an option to evacuate, either. Besides that they all have lived there all their lives and feel confident of how to handle things.

The 3 week estimate is probably to get 90% of folks back online. A large number of those will come back much sooner than that.
Exactly! If ours comes back much sooner, and all other systems are "go", we plan to just check out and drive home immediately.

Meanwhile, our main objective is to rest and recover. Right now my feet and legs are so tired I can hardly walk, and my back and shoulders are so tense that they are useless too. But, some decent R&R doing absolutely nothing will really help that a lot.

Frank just heard that 911 has been restored in New Orleans! Don't know if that's true but it's encouraging.

Exactly! If ours comes back much sooner, and all other systems are "go", we plan to just check out and drive home immediately.

Meanwhile, our main objective is to rest and recover. Right now my feet and legs are so tired I can hardly walk, and my back and shoulders are so tense that they are useless too. But, some decent R&R doing absolutely nothing will really help that a lot.

Frank just heard that 911 has been restored in New Orleans! Don't know if that's true but it's encouraging.

Thanks for all the updates, your online friends are all following you, hoping and praying that all goes well. It seems like so far so good for yourself, family and friends.

Reactions: W2R
W2R and mebden, I'm glad to hear you are both safe.

We evacuated in Rita (wow, now that's a 15 hour trip to Dallas that I'll never forget) and we rode out Harvey. I so hope that you come back home to little or no damage. Fingers crossed and prayers being prayed.

Hey, isn't doing absolutely nothing sometimes what retirement is all about.:D
Hope you and Frank can get back to normal soon enough.

Well made it thru the hurricane no power, lots of roofs in needed repair I did have water damage inside the house from the shingles getting ripped off just material things also no water all neighbors here are ok but houses roofs took a beating

Good to hear that you are all okay.

I saw your earlier posts in the other thread about going to Cracker Barrel to eat. Good food, reasonably priced. If you want a treat, your about 10 miles from one of the best BBQ places in Memphis, TN : The Rendezvous https://hogsfly.com/

I saw your earlier posts in the other thread about going to Cracker Barrel to eat. Good food, reasonably priced. If you want a treat, your about 10 miles from one of the best BBQ places in Memphis, TN : The Rendezvous https://hogsfly.com/

+1 on The Rendezvous.

Sorry he was unable to text other family in NOLA! We have been pretty lucky with texting, I guess. F has been able to contact a dozen family members and friends who are stuck in NOLA, by texting, and so far all have answered. Even though some were dealing with a lot of damage, they were SO glad to hear something from the outside world since having no internet or electricity is pretty isolating. He's texting another right now.

It's scary to imagine that if we had delayed our evacuation by much at all, we'd be stuck there too. No power, no water, no sewage, no internet, no connectivity with the outside world.

Hey, great to hear you and F, as well as your friends/relatives are all fine! I'm glad you could get out in time!! I wonder about those people who tried to fly out and I'm sure many didn't make it out of there...

I cannot imagine having any power, water, internet, etc.

I'm curious... And this is a broad question to everyone who's been through hurricanes, etc. Do people usually turn off the power, water, etc before they evacuate? I mean, if you had any food in the fridge, the fridge would be totally useless by the time they get back (due to the smell of rotten food, etc)?

Last edited:
Well made it thru the hurricane no power, lots of roofs in needed repair I did have water damage inside the house from the shingles getting ripped off just material things also no water all neighbors here are ok but houses roofs took a beating

Looking at the news reports now on WDSU. Some places look like a war zone.

One shot on the news showed a house with three trees had fallen on its roof.

Showed a bowling centre that was hit hard. With stood hurricanes for the last 42 years.

Hospital generator power is usually pretty impressive, and in my experience in Florida, they are always the first grids, along with emergency services, to get back online. My home shares a grid with a hospital and fire station, and we've always come back up far sooner than others just a half mile away.

Yes, except it sounds like the damage is quite extensive (main lines going into NOLA). Of course, I don't actually know...but I do know that they are pretty darn good at getting power back pretty quick. Those line guys/gals are absolute rock stars IMHO.

For some people, there is a huge cost barrier. If you don’t own a car, you have to rent one or pay for a bus ticket. Once you get out of the path of the hurricane there is housing and food costs. It might be hard to pay for a motel stay on top of the monthly rent/mortgage payment.

Oh, I understand, that's why I said for those that ARE ABLE to evacuate yet refuse to.

Back
Top Bottom