HVAC Twice-Yearly Inspections: Any value?

Inspection vs Maintenance Service...

Our new HVAC system has a full (parts/labor) warranty for 3 yrs. In order to extend that to 10 yrs, the manufacturer REQUIRES a twice a year maintenance service, with specific items to be checked and cleaned. Yes, I can do that myself, however, the manufacturer does not recognize shade tree mechanics (me). So they require documentation from one of their dealers in order to satisfy the 10 yr warranty.

The installer threw in the 1st 2 yrs at the time of the install. They will charge abt $79 for each subsequent year.

So, you can roll the dice and DIY and save $79/yr, but if anything quits after year three it's on your nickel.

This is a bi-annual maintenance function, NOT a season start-up / inspection check, big difference.

_B

Please explain the big difference?

Basically, you paid 8x$79 for a 10 year extended warranty, assuming there was no additional fee for the warranty.

What is the tech going to do different than a typical performance check and inspection?

For those that partake in the annual inspections, I would be curious to know what type of refrigerant you are running.

The old systems are R-22 for the most part. The new ones, I believe, are R-410a.

The reason that I bring this up is that I have old R-22 systems. When I had a problem I called the HVAC techs. They refused to actually work on the older R-22 system. They just wanted to sell me a new R-410a system. This is especially relevant when systems leak refrigerant.

My point of all this is to make sure that your techs will be willing to actually service your system that you are dutifully paying them to inspect each year vs just selling you a new system.

-gauss

epilogue - I ended up fixing these systems myself with an R-22 "alternative" refrigerant. Worked out for me.

Last edited:
My local HVAC place has an inspection program as well and while I'm happy to have them inspect and clean have found that the most important feature of the program they offer is that if an emergency call is needed on off hours, you pay the standard hourly rate and not overtime. In my own use case the annual fee has more than paid for itself as we've had failures on holiday weekends several times in the past few years.

For those that partake in the annual inspections, I would be curious to know what type of refrigerant you are running.

The old systems are R-22 for the most part. The new ones, I believe, are R-410a.

The reason that I bring this up is that I have old R-22 systems. When I had a problem I called the HVAC techs. They refused to actually work on the older R-22 system. They just wanted to sell me a new R-410a system. This is especially relevant when systems leak refrigerant.

My point of all this is to make sure that your techs will be willing to actually service your system that you are dutifully paying them to inspect each year vs just selling you a new system.

-gauss

epilogue - I ended up fixing these systems myself with an R-22 "alternative" refrigerant. Worked out for me.

FWIW, R22 is being phased out in a couple of years. For that reason it is becoming more rare, and increasingly expensive. No licensed HVAC tech would, or should, use an R22 "alternative". You, as the owner, accepted the risk that the alternative could cause a system failure. And if you were leaking refrigerant, and no repairs were made, then you are STILL leaking refrigerant. And by the way, removing the existing refrigerant also requires recovery and proper disposal

Most systems cannot be retro fitted to the new refrigerant at a reasonable price, so replacement of major components is required.

All that said, I agree that finding an honest and reliable tech is the most important part of this.

Our air conditioner is 16 feet in the air on a platform so neither my SO or I are going up there to service it . We have a contract for $14.99 a month that includes two maintenance visits and free labor and a discount on parts .IMO it is well worth it during summer in Florida .

Last edited:
FWIW, R22 is being phased out in a couple of years. For that reason it is becoming more rare, and increasingly expensive. No licensed HVAC tech would, or should, use an R22 "alternative".

I can understand "would not" because the economies of scale would not be present for a professional technician, but I am not sure where "should not" is coming from. Totally legal if done properly (ie observing EPA 608 regulations).

You, as the owner, accepted the risk that the alternative could cause a system failure.

Well yes, I assume the risk on anything that I work on. Given that the system was already not working and my HVAC company would not work on it because R12 systems were deemed as "money loosers" for the firm, there was not too much downside risk IMHO.

And if you were leaking refrigerant, and no repairs were made, then you are STILL leaking refrigerant. And by the way, removing the existing refrigerant also requires recovery and proper disposal

I installed a missing cap on the factory service valves and cured the obvious leak. System was flat before I started working on it, as confirmed by the HVAC tech, so no refrigerant was vented during my work.

And yes-I did a proper Evac and refill with vacuum pump /thermocouples / digital psychrometer / refrigeration gages / SuperHeat-SubCooling charts etc.[/QUOTE]

Most systems cannot be retro fitted to the new refrigerant at a reasonable price, so replacement of major components is required.

Yes - a conversion to R410a is not possible -- hence the use of the alternative blend specifically designed for R22 retrofits.

I looked into getting a Mechanical License from my state so that I could do these conversions legally for $ for others. Seems an undeserved marked IMHO.

If I had to buy all the tools from scratch you may have a point, but I already had the vaccum pump/gages due to my personal auto ac work in the past.

But -- I have seen sub-$100 electric vacuum pumps at Harbor Freight, so this may not be as economically prohibitive as you suggest. Definitely more involved than doing an auto brake job, however. I think I was in for less than $300 including new vacuum pump oil, new tip for my refrigerant leak sensor and 30lbs of the alternative refrigerant.

So now that I have made the case that I am not a hack, I will go back to my original point that if you use an HVAC company, be sure they will actually work on your R12 system if it develops a leak and not just sell you a new system.

I was rather annoyed and caught off guard when they came back with this response.

-gauss

p.s. On a related note, once I line up an acetylene torch, I plan to install a replacement compressor into my residential kitchen refrigerator which has failed. My friends all think I am crazy for working on this too. To each their own.

Last edited:
Which alternative did you use?

R427A (Forane)
This came out of the off-the-record discussion with the HVAC guy. Said his buddies had used it successfully on personal jobs.

It is a blend of refrigerants of which I think the largest component is R134a.

-gauss

Last edited:
So now that I have made the case that I am not a hack, I will go back to my original point that if you use an HVAC company, be sure they will actually work on your R12 system if it develops a leak and not just sell you a new system.

I was rather annoyed and caught off guard when they came back with this response.

-gauss

p.s. On a related note, once I line up an acetylene torch, I plan to install a replacement compressor into my residential kitchen refrigerator which has failed. My friends all think I am crazy for working on this too. To each their own.

My apologies for being a little too "in your face" with my post. Clearly you have the know how and tools, and in your shoes, with system dead in the water anyway, I might have done the same thing.

I have never had an annual inspection of any of the units that I have owned. We change filters (furnace) regularly and hose off the coils outside (AC). A Major Manufacturer factory representative told me that annuals are not necessary and to only call for service when you have a problem..

DFIL who sells and installs Carrier told us the same thing.

Now this is only me, but as an owner-operator of an AC business, I say yearly inspections are a waste of time and money. Here are a few reasons:
1. Every time a tech puts his gauge to measure refrigerant, the refrigerant in the hose does not go back into your system. Doing that twice a year adds up.
2. Is it possible that during the inspection, the tech sees something else wrong that you have to spend money on?
3. The most important part of a twice year inspection (or any inspection) is changing/cleaning the filter. THE MOST IMPORTANT! Do that yourself and you can rest assured no outside hands can fiddle/damage your system.

There's actually a recommendation that filters be changed once per month. Please. What percentage of homeowners change their filters that often? Have I done this? Mea Culpa.

Last edited:
There's actually a recommendation that filters be changed once per month. Please. What percentage of homeowners change their filters that often? Have I done this? Mea Culpa.
I always thought that was overkill. On one of my inspections, the guy took a look at the filter and said, it's still good. He didn't happen to have my size on him but said I didn't need to burn a new one of mine yet. He said to hold it up to the light and see if it was getting dirty. Agree?

I rarely use my A/C so I tend to only change at the start of heating season. However, a had a furnace issue earlier this year and one of the possible causes was a blocked filter. Took it out and there was a dead mouse stuck to it! Didn't fix the problem though.

After just one month the filter in mine is barely distinguishable from a new one. I let it stay in place several months. How rapidly the filter accumulates dust and dirt depends on many factors.

Now this is only me, but as an owner-operator of an AC business, I say yearly inspections are a waste of time and money. Here are a few reasons:
1. Every time a tech puts his gauge to measure refrigerant, the refrigerant in the hose does not go back into your system. Doing that twice a year adds up.
2. Is it possible that during the inspection, the tech sees something else wrong that you have to spend money on?
3. The most important part of a twice year inspection (or any inspection) is changing/cleaning the filter. THE MOST IMPORTANT! Do that yourself and you can rest assured no outside hands can fiddle/damage your system.

I agree 100% with Elbata.

As someone who does all their own heating and A/C repairs (except install new systems) and is also EPA section 608 and 609 certified, I agree to keep the techs away from the system and just change the filter. Also keep the grass clippings and bushes away from the outside unit and you will be fine.

Once a month is an overkill. I change my filters every three months.

My tstat tracks hours of usage and has a reminder light that is adjustable. It winds up getting changed 3-4 times/yr. I set the hours based on the appearance of the filters. They need to be changed before they look too dirty or show signs oollapse from pressure buildup. I'd like to design a filter that would whistle when its starting to clog.

My apologies for being a little too "in your face" with my post. Clearly you have the know how and tools, and in your shoes, with system dead in the water anyway, I might have done the same thing.

No worries CardsFan!

It gave me a chance to brag about the details with regards to one of my "Wins".

-gauss

My tstat tracks hours of usage and has a reminder light that is adjustable. It winds up getting changed 3-4 times/yr. I set the hours based on the appearance of the filters. They need to be changed before they look too dirty or show signs oollapse from pressure buildup. I'd like to design a filter that would whistle when its starting to clog.

Asked and answered:
https://www.conservationmart.com/p-...2WCKYPlCx1mYB61kYhHD7MhQZqnOd15waAgu0EALw_wcB

Was sure I'd seen a whistling air filter so did a search and this popped up - seems like an even better idea

We lived for 10 years in Florida and over twenty in Mississippi. I have never paid for an inspection. The Florida unit never failed. I’ve had to have 1 blower fan replaced in the internal unit in all that time. Annual inspections are a waste of money imho

Could you share what brand you have that performed so admirably in the hot humid south?

Waste of money in my opinion. I have only had 2 insp done in 8 years. First one was 2 years after I installed the unit and they said the capacitor was working but out of range and recommended a new one. Warranty covered part but labor was $125 and took him just under 5 min to install (yes I timed him). Second time just last year I had a check up done and they said everything was ok. He did not clean my outside coils and a day later my evap condenser ruptured because of being rusted. So he did not check anything apparently and that was TEXAS ACE which I will never use again.
From now on I will just replace filters myself and wash my outside unit twice a year and have things fixed as they break.

We have been in current home for three years now. We moved after retirement so we had no network of repair people to call on. Last fall we called in a hvac tech to check over our a/c and furnace. He cleaned the coil on the a/c unit in addition to the routine checks but found nothing. At the time I asked the tech if he would be available to make an emergency house call in the winter while we are in Florida. I explained that we were going to monitor the heat in the house via a security camera focused on a thermometer.

Low and behold one day when remotely monitoring the temperature at home it was obvious the furnace was not working. A quick call to the hvac tech with information where to find the house key and two hours later the furnace was back up and running. The electronic ignitor failed. I am pretty sure if I had not established this relationship ahead of time I would not have gotten anyone else to show up at my home, when no one was there, to fix the furnace.

Cost? The initial inspection cost $55 plus tax. The emergency service call cost $157.50 including the new ignitor. They even called me in Florida once the repair was complete. That was excellent service in my opinion. I think you are more likely to get emergency help if you have a relationship with a hvac tech, so maybe well worth an annual inspection fee.

Kind of crazy , but I am selling our city house and we never had the AC serviced . The house is 17 years old and knock on wood the AC runs fine . We called a friend , an AC tech to do a tune up on the AC and all he could say was how old is the unit :confused: We told him and immediately he said we need to replace it . .... He told us that we had leaked refrigerant ( the old style and the unit was in bad shape ) . Then he tested the air that went over the coils . If the outside is 78 degrees he said they want 12 to 15 degrees cooler coming across your coils or the air coming out of the vents to be 12 to 15 degrees cooler . He used his laser temp sensor and we were 15 degrees cooler . He thought he needed to get another temp sensor so he went to his truck . It also showed all of our vents were within the 12 to 15 degrees . All he could say was roll the dice ...It is going to fail . I will probably have to write a new AC into my house selling contract.

Back
Top Bottom