I'm craving Fruitcake

Thanks for the memories. My dad LOVED fruitcake. He would ceremoniously bring it home, fill a shot glass with his best whiskey, and set it in the middle and put the lid back on for a couple of weeks before he'd begin hacking off hunks to eat.

Personally, I can't stand it, but it's a lovely memory watching him snarf it down. I'd thought about buying one to sit out, just for the smell, but it seems wasteful just to pitch it when Christmas is over. But I'm guessing the stores throw a bunch of them out anyway, judging by the size of the stack at our store.

I'd thought about buying one to sit out, just for the smell, but it seems wasteful just to pitch it when Christmas is over. But I'm guessing the stores throw a bunch of them out anyway, judging by the size of the stack at our store.
Should I PM you my mailing address? :cool: :LOL:

Don't throw it out! Just save it for next year, they probably never go bad....

There was a recent news story about a family that has kept a fruitcake as a family heirloom. It is 141 years old and gets passed down from generation to generation, lol. I'm not a fruitcake person, but even if I was I'm not sure I would want to chance eating it. :)

Use lots of good brandy in the batter. And only real dried fruit, none of that horrid candied stuff. Poke little holes in the baked cake, and pour more brandy on it. People won't use it as a doorstop.

After enough brandy, they’ll be the doorstop...

Pica (disorder), an abnormal appetite for earth and other non-foods
I didn't think anyone actually tried to EAT fruitcakes!

Do you remember those little silver ball bearings that came in a little bottle that were used to decorate cakes, etc. years ago? The container they came in said, in small print "To be used for decoration, not a confection."

Maybe the label fell off of the bottom of the fruitcake...

I think I would rather take my chances eating those ancient MacDonald's french fries that were recently found that had slipped down behind the back seat of that '68 Cutlass convertible. :D

I like real fruitcake, soaked with good brandy, not ones made with the dried candied fruit.

Those bright red and green cherries, and the candied citron, are just nasty.

Dried apricots, big sultana raisins, dried cherries, even dried cranberries...and pecans. Now, that's what goes in a good fruitcake. Maybe some home-candied citrus peel, if one has the time to make it.

The cake, in my opinion, is really just there to hold the fruit, nuts, and alcohol together.

I like real fruitcake, soaked with good brandy, not ones made with the dried candied fruit.

Every year, Mum would make a Christmas Cake from a homebaked dark, dense, and rich fruitcake. Some years she would also add some Guinness. Then she'd cover the whole cake in a thin layer of marzipan, and then a thin layer of hard frosting. Her Christmas cakes were the stuff of legend in our family. To this day, I have a strong fondness for dark, dense, and rich fruitcake. A slice is best taken with a cup of tea. Perfect!

This sounds delicious..

The dark ones with marzipan are my favorite.

There was a recent news story about a family that has kept a fruitcake as a family heirloom. It is 141 years old and gets passed down from generation to generation, lol. I'm not a fruitcake person, but even if I was I'm not sure I would want to chance eating it. :)

A fruitcake is something to be passed from generation to generation. It outlasts all of its keepers. Not even mold can grow on it. It's impervious.

“It’s a great thing,” Julie Ruttinger told The Associated Press. “It was a tradition. It’s a legacy,” she said of the cake that was baked in 1878 by her great-great-grandmother Fidelia Ford.

Ruttinger’s dad, Morgan Ford, watched over the cake until he died in 2013.

“He took care of it to the day he left the earth,” Ruttinger told the news service. “We knew it meant a lot to him.”

A little known fact is fruitcake bakers had no trouble from Y2K. For the "Best By" date they'd long been permitting year fields with 5 digits.

A little known fact is fruitcake bakers had no trouble from Y2K. For the "Best By" date they'd long been permitting year fields with 5 digits.

Does that mean a fruitcake is as good freshly made as it will be 1000 years from now?

It's as solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

Defense shelters?

Perhaps they are also good as filler for sandbags to put around bunkers for artillery protection. Dual-purpose material.

Perhaps they are also good as filler for sandbags to put around bunkers for artillery protection. Dual-purpose material.

Excellent point. Yes, that last one I tasted was a bit gritty.

I don’t care for fruitcake, but we have panettone at Christmas every year. It’s like a much less dense version of fruitcake, and nowhere near as sweet. Texture between cake and bread, a little sweet, studded with dried fruit.

31752504105_a907e2514e_b.jpg

We love panettone.

Fruitcakes are disgusting and nauseating and should be buried at least six feet deep, far away from any humans, while wearing a gas mask.

The quantities of rum in some fruitcakes is insane. The amount of food coloring in the colored fake fruits is horrifying. Fruitcakes are terrible, repulsive creations and should be outlawed in civilized countries.

I'd rather eat live wasps garnished with scorpions and fire ants, than fruitcake.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::yuk::yuk:

Fruitcakes are disgusting and nauseating and should be buried at least six feet deep, far away from any humans, while wearing a gas mask.

The quantities of rum in some fruitcakes is insane. The amount of food coloring in the colored fake fruits is horrifying. Fruitcakes are terrible, repulsive creations and should be outlawed in civilized countries.

I'd rather eat live wasps garnished with scorpions and fire ants, than fruitcake.

New knee hurting today? :)

Try panettone...much better than live wasps with scorpions and fire ants, I believe.

Don't worry, there are a few of us here who will protect any and all others from fruitcakes! ;)

Back
Top Bottom