Independent Mechanic vs Honda Dealer.........not even close!!

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, I went to the Honda dealer last week, since I was in the area and the front brakes seemed to be making a little noise. They told me I needed new front brakes ($429) and I would get a "deal" on the 60K maintenance package ($299), so they wanted $728 plus tax. I noticed the serpentine belt had a few cracks in it (it's original) and asked if it was still ok, and they said yes. However, I thought $728 was a little high, so I got a "2nd opinion"..........

Independent mechanic (ASE certified, 75-80% of all work is on imports) told me the following:

The Honda 60K package could be done by them for $99, (they keep all the maintenance package requirements for imports on their computers) unless I needed a transmission fluid service, then it would be $175.

The brakes were FINE, had 75% life left, but the pads were a little glazed, so they were going to spray some stuff on them and they think it will fix the problem.........

The serpentine belt had enough cracks to be considered marginal, and suggested replacement. Total cost for that is $79.

Total cost, including oil change for the independent, was $238 plus tax. I did not need the fluid service because I did that at 45000 miles (creature of habit).

So I saved $500............... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've been using an independent mechanic for my BMW ever since the included maintenance expired. I've saved hundreds of $$$ every time.

One of the biggest profit centers for auto dealers are their service bays.

Ah the maintenance scam.

I've had similar experiences with the dealer. So your story is no surprise to me.

Maintenance aside, I will say though that the trick to saving money is finding an independent mechanic who really knows your car. Usually an independent mechanic will have a general idea but won't always know the little oddities about your particular model as perhaps the dealership will.

If you could find an independent shop that only works on Hondas then when you have a problem they may be the best bet.

By the way, putting a serpentine belt on is really easy. If you learned how to do the easy stuff yourself then you could save $50-60 on that job. I could put a serpentine belt on my car in under 5 minutes.

My neighbor is a semi-retired mechanic, so he does most any work that our vehicles need...unless there is a warranty that covers it. He works for cost of parts and materials (if needed), and cold adult beverages.

If it is something that is beyond his scope or ability, we have a mutual friend who owns an independent garage a few blocks from us, and either he or I will take it there.

Warranty work gets done by the dealer, and they give us (free of charge) a loaner car.

I got an oil change at Precision Auto Care and they said I needed a new serpentine belt because ours is cracked. Estimate: $99

So for somebody who has never done anything more complex than changing a headlight or changing a tire... think I could do this one and not break the car? :)

Masterblaster said:
By the way, putting a serpentine belt on is really easy. If you learned how to do the easy stuff yourself then you could save $50-60 on that job. I could put a serpentine belt on my car in under 5 minutes.

Peaceful_Warrior said:
I got an oil change at Precision Auto Care and they said I needed a new serpentine belt because ours is cracked. Estimate: $99

So for somebody who has never done anything more complex than changing a headlight or changing a tire... think I could do this one and not break the car? :)

99 bucks to change a belt on a car seems like a deal to me. OF course Im pretty lazy :-\

FinanceDude said:
So, I went to the Honda dealer last week, since I was in the area and the front brakes seemed to be making a little noise.
Both of our clunkers have had squeaky rotors for at least two years. However the brake pads aren't wearing away-- they're just making noise.

I think you need to roll up the windows and crank up the classic rock. No charge.*

*For a small additional fee I'll share my latest pamphlet "Secrets of Dealing with Minor Muffler Noise".

Peaceful_Warrior said:
A better question might be if you can find anyone who's ever had a serpentine belt break on them. I haven't heard of this happening for years.

But if you've decided that it has to be done and you're willing to experiment then go read a Chilton's or Haynes' at your local library, buy the belt from an auto parts store, and have fun. Even if you totally screw it up you'll probably still be able to drive the car to a mechanic.

The only things you have to lose are your time and the skin from your knuckles...

I'm dreading the day that spouse and I buy a car made in this millenium, raise the hood, and see the engine compartment filled with a large integrated circuit cover that says "No user-serviceable parts inside. Please drive car to your dealer for more information and assistance."

Or even worse: "Start. Where would you like to go today?"

For those who do change their belt, here's a tip---always save the old belt and tuck it away in your trunk just in case you pop the new one on a Sunday in Hooterville. If you've got a belt then all you need is a "good ol boy" to put it on, or a few basic tools to DIY.

As to changing the belt: Look at it in your engine compartment, stick your hands in there and imagine taking the old one off.

If this seems reasonable, like you have enough clearance, then doing it yourself should be pretty easy. I've done my jeep, as I recall I might have had to move a plastic shield out of the way but maybe not.

Usually there is one pulley called the 'tensioner', that is on a spring-loaded arm, so that pulley pushes against the belt and provides tension. You might be able to push this aside a bit with your hands, to relieve tension on the belt.

Heck you could try removing and reinstalling the old one before you spring for a new belt. If you can get the old one off, I predict you can get the new one on.

If you are really afraid, a digital camera can come in mighty handy to record the position of something like this belt for when you forget just how it goes back on.

What runchman said. The camera thing is a very good idea.

Some idler/tension pulleys have a square grove you can insert a socket wrench (without sockete) into for leverage to release the tension. On our Bonneville, I had to loosen a motor mount to swap serpentines, but it wasn't anything major.

A Chiltons definitely helps. It may even be worth springing for your own :D

FinanceDude said:
The brakes were FINE, had 75% life left, but the pads were a little glazed, so they were going to spray some stuff on them and they think it will fix the problem.........

The serpentine belt had enough cracks to be considered marginal, and suggested replacement. Total cost for that is $79.

Total cost, including oil change for the independent, was $238 plus tax. I did not need the fluid service because I did that at 45000 miles (creature of habit).

So I saved $500............... :eek: :eek: :eek:

So you paid $238 for an accessory belt, and an oil change. And you are happy:confused:
Belt $30, Oil $10, Oil filter $4. Total parts $34. Estimated labor: 1 hr at $200/hr. It's definitely cheaper than $600/hr at the dealer, but still, that's a lot of money.

For the mechanically challenged. Check out this little video on changing the Serpentine belt...

It's kind of like riding a bicycle. If someone shows you once you won't forget.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/2448/description_of_how_to_change_a_serpentine.html

What they didn't say in the video is that you put a ratchet or a box wrench on the spring loaded tensioner, then turn to a quarter turn or so to release tension on the belt.
The belt just slides right off then. Then you just put the new belt on. Make sure you follow the belt diagram that's posted on the inside of the hood (watch the video).

Here's another website that discribes the process...

[Moderator edit to shorten one of the world's longest URLs...

Attachments

• belt_tension_diagram.gif
    belt_tension_diagram.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 6
  • belt_tension_diagram.gif_thumb
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Serpentine_belt_diagram.jpg
    Serpentine_belt_diagram.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Serpentine_belt_diagram.jpg_thumb
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
My wife has her serpentine belt break just a few weeks ago. She noticed it because the car wouldn't turn as she tried to back out of the driveway. It turns out that the tensioner had broke taking the belt with it (apparently as she pulled into the driveway the night before). I replaced both-but it was very difficult to tighten the nut on the tensioner due to it's location.

Bultacoman

Nords said:
Even if you totally screw it up you'll probably still be able to drive the car to a mechanic.

Well to be fair and balanced, for some cars that use the serpentine belt to turn the water pump, if there is no belt on the car you won't get very far before overheating.

Sam said:
So you paid $238 for an accessory belt, and an oil change. And you are happy:confused:
Belt $30, Oil $10, Oil filter $4. Total parts $34. Estimated labor: 1 hr at $200/hr. It's definitely cheaper than $600/hr at the dealer, but still, that's a lot of money.

Not exactly, guess I left a little out. They replaced the cabin air filter (never replaced) which I have heard is a pain in the butt. Replaced the main air filter, rotated the tires, oil change, adjusted the rear calipers, squirted stuff on the front pads to help with the noise, put lithium grease in the driver's door window tracks to eliminate a creak, replaced the serpentine belt, lubricated the door hinges, and perfomed a overall safety inspection.

That doesn't seem too out of line for all that.............. ;) Plus, the comment when I picked it up was priceless:

"That Honda is really clean and in super shape. Guess we won't be seeing you for 30-40,000 miles".............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bultacoman said:
My wife has her serpentine belt break just a few weeks ago. She noticed it because the car wouldn't turn as she tried to back out of the driveway. It turns out that the tensioner had broke taking the belt with it (apparently as she pulled into the driveway the night before). I replaced both-but it was very difficult to tighten the nut on the tensioner due to it's location.

Bultacoman

Do you retard the timing and bumpstart the car backwards instead of having her put it in reverse?

cheers,
Michael
(former owner of a 1974 Bultaco 325 Sherpa T)

FinanceDude said:

Liquid sand paper?

Masterblaster said:

Wow! That's really fast!

Last time I did one, it took all afternoon. Just getting the beer and ice into the cooler took 10 minutes. Then it was another hour before all the buddies showed up. Getting the rabbit ears antenna on the little portable TV out in the garage adjusted so we could watch the Cubs game on WGN seemed to take forever. Harry, my old highschool buddy from the south side was supposed to stop and pick up the new belt on the way, but he forgot. By the time the Cubs game was over and we figured we better actually change the belt before my DW got home, he was too buzzed to send to get it, so I had to go. When I got back with the new belt, it only took a few minutes to change it. But, overall, it was an all afternoon job. And don't you ever let my DW know otherwise! ;)

Some of the reason I have accumulated money is so I DON"T have to do some work that I don't want to do.... working on cars is one of them...

And I was surprised one day when I went to my sisters house... my BIL who was a car mechanic way back when was doing a brake job on his daughters car... I asked if he did it on my sisters car... she said "No, he said we make enough money to get it done at the shop".. he will not touch his own cars... But, since his daughter did not have much money and her brakes were shot, he did it because he was DAD... and would not 'pay' to get her car fixed..

Sam said:
Belt $30, Oil $10, Oil filter $4. Total parts $34.

Sam, if the quality of your automobile repair work is the same as the quality of your addition, I'm going to pass on riding in your car! ;) :LOL:

youbet said:
Sam, if the quality of your automobile repair work is the same as the quality of your addition, I'm going to pass on riding in your car! ;) :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Masterblaster said:
For the mechanically challenged. Check out this little video on changing the Serpentine belt...

Make sure you follow the belt diagram that's posted on the inside of the hood (watch the video

Making is sure the belt is on correctly is VERY important. To get it wrong may cause everything to run in reverse... coolant, oil, D is reverse, R is Drive.... dogs and cats, living together. :p

The Other Michael said:
Do you retard the timing and bumpstart the car backwards instead of having her put it in reverse?

cheers,
Michael
(former owner of a 1974 Bultaco 325 Sherpa T)

Michael,

I've only seen that happen once. My brother rebuilt the top end on his Kawasaki Pighorn, revved it up, popped the clutch, and ran into the barb-wired fence behind him!

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom