Is this old extension cord safe to use?

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm cleaning out my garage, it's long overdue. I have an old orange extension cord, probably 50 feet long with a non grounded plug on it. Cord is marked 16/2 and I use it for my chainsaw. Common sense says it should be tossed in the trash ASAP and I should buy a new grounded better gauge one but my natural cheapness says it still works fine. Picture attached, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_142813891.jpg
    IMG_20201101_142813891.jpg
    555.2 KB · Views: 126
There is much to be said for common sense - although I will admit I have a couple of outdoor extension cords I occasionally use that are in even worse shape. :blush:

EDIT: After giving the photos a second look, mine at least have a new layer of electrical tape around the base of the plugs.

Toss it! If you look closely, the insulation has pulled back from the clamps at both ends. There is no longer any strain relief on the cord.

Both ends look to have been added to the cord and have screw-bolt tighteners. It would be easy to undo these and rewire the plug and receptacle after cutting an inch off each end. This would be if the plastic coating is unbroken and still pliable. That said if I were attaching this to something electric I was using I think I would like a grounded line and a GFI circuit. I'd be ok using it for my Christmas light strings something like that. A new grounded cord is pretty inexpensive.

16/2 is pretty light duty. If you’re thinking it needs replaced because the ends don’t look proper, that’s a different matter. The ends can be replaced if they’re damaged, but if everything is tight and no cracks and holds the plug tight, then there’s nothing wrong with that cord. The copper wire it it is fine. However, 16/2 is more suitable for something like a trouble light (light bulb) than it is for something like a chain saw, which I would guess draws a lot of current when it’s operating. House wiring is typically 14 gauge for 15 amp circuits and 12 gauge for 20 amp circuits. Have you ever tripped a 15amp circuit breaker? Plus, I’m surprised your chainsaw doesn’t have a ground (three prong).

Personally, I’d use something different, but not because that one is “old”.

The chainsaw is grounded. The female end of the extension cord plug does have a grounded slot but it's only two prong on the other end that plugs into the wall. I don't think I've blown a fuse yet but I definitely agree a better gauge is needed. I just find it so hard to throw something out that still works but in the interest of staying alive to spend all my money, it's better to get rid of it.

I bet your cord is really 16/2 with ground. So all you really need is a new 3 prong outlet to replace the current 2 prong.
Just take the current 2 prong off and look for 3 wires: black (hot), white (neutral), and green or bare (ground). If 3 wires, you have grounded capability.

There is much to be said for common sense - although I will admit I have a couple of outdoor extension cords I occasionally use that are in even worse shape. :blush:

EDIT: After giving the photos a second look, mine at least have a new layer of electrical tape around the base of the plugs.
The ends are definitely of concern and what prompted my question. I can buy new ends for a couple of bucks each at Harbor Freight and I was thinking I may still do that and keep it around for very light duty but it still would not be grounded and for safety I think it's time for a new one and that seems to be the general consensus.

If in doubt, toss it out... Electrical cords are plentiful and cheap...

I bet your cord is really 16/2 with ground. So all you really need is a new 3 prong outlet to replace the current 2 prong.
Just take the current 2 prong off and look for 3 wires: black (hot), white (neutral), and green or bare (ground). If 3 wires, you have grounded capability.
I'll check it out and if it does have that extra wire then I can still save it for light duty for just a few bucks.
I've decided I will buy a new one with 12 or 14 gauge for using with my chainsaw just to be safe.
Thanks for the quick responses and when I get a chance to take a few photos, my next question will be how to adjust my shower door in the master bath that I haven't used in years because it's out of alignment.

I cut it open, there is definitely only 2 wires inside the sheath so I'll drop it off at the e-waste location next time I'm over there. Harbor Freight has a 14 gauge for $21 less 20% coupon, can't beat that price.

I cut it open, there is definitely only 2 wires inside the sheath so I'll drop it off at the e-waste location next time I'm over there. Harbor Freight has a 14 gauge for $21 less 20% coupon, can't beat that price.
You can still use the cord on two prong corded items. Just not for cheating with 3 prong grounded items.
I agree to buy a new 14 ga or 12 ga cord.

The female end certainly looks like a 3 prong receptacle. I can't make out the male end. If the wire is only 2 wires, cut the ends off and trash/recycle it. That way somebody else doesn't pick it up and unknowingly use it as-is. Outdoor cords should be 3-wire and plugged into a GFCI outlet regardless of the equipment being plugged into it IMO.

I'm cleaning out my garage, it's long overdue. I have an old orange extension cord, probably 50 feet long with a non grounded plug on it. Cord is marked 16/2 and I use it for my chainsaw. Common sense says it should be tossed in the trash ASAP and I should buy a new grounded better gauge one but my natural cheapness says it still works fine. Picture attached, what do you think?

Toss it. While you could buy new plugs for each end of that cord, they would probably cost nearly the same as a new cord. Also, 16 gauge is really undersized for a 50 foot cord, except for maybe a really light load.

Personally, I only buy 10/3 extension cords. They're thick and heavy duty, but they can handle large loads over large distances (think an air compressor, circular saw, table saw, etc.). You are far less likely to lose power or cause overheating due to losses in the extension cord.

Remember, the wiring in your walls is probably 14 gauge (15A max) or 12 gauge (20A max). I would at least try to match the circuit wiring, increasing the gauge for 50 feet or longer. Or just get 10 gauge cords.

You might save a couple bucks on a lighter gauge cord, but why?

Common sense says reuse the 50 feet of 16/2 wire after installing proper ends. There is always some use as many point out.

By all means buy a good quality grounded extension for heavy duty use.

Since the chainsaw is grounded, I would get another one that is grounded.

If the chainsaw were ungrounded then I would continue to use it, but perhaps with shoring up the connectors a bit.

Lots of risks out there in the world. It makes sense to manage the larger ones.

-gauss

I don't take any chances with electricity. Been shocked too many times and have seen many fires that could have been prevented.

Replace it and you'll be set for life.

The ends are already cut off and it's laying in the car to be dropped off at the recycle station. When I checked the length it was actually close to 100 ft so it was probably even more dangerous than I originally thought.

I don't take any chances with electricity. Been shocked too many times and have seen many fires that could have been prevented.

Replace it and you'll be set for life.

+1

Certain things IMHO are not worth agonizing over. Toss/recycle the cord and spend the big bucks to get a new one. :)

The ends are already cut off and it's laying in the car to be dropped off at the recycle station. When I checked the length it was actually close to 100 ft so it was probably even more dangerous than I originally thought.
The length would seem less of a safety issue with a chainsaw than if you had some unmonitored appliance; if it heated up, you'd smell it. 100 feet does drop the amperage, so a demanding appliance might not have the full torque.

The length would seem less of a safety issue with a chainsaw than if you had some unmonitored appliance; if it heated up, you'd smell it. 100 feet does drop the amperage, so a demanding appliance might not have the full torque.

Actually it is the voltage that drops on longer extension cord runs, and amps go up to make up for that. Power = volts x amps, and the appliance will need the power, so it makes up for lower voltage by pulling more amps (current). That does make the appliance run hotter. Higher gauge wire will have less voltage drop, so the recommendations for 12 gauge or 10 gauge for a 100 ft cord are based on this voltage drop issue. I completely agree that 100 ft cord at 16 gauge is for very light loads, which I would assume an electric chain saw is not.

I do think we have sufficiently beat this topic for the OP to death :facepalm: :D

My long-dead electrician father is grinding his teeth in Heaven at the sight of exposed wires at the base of the plugs. I'd wrap 'em with electrician's tape. Aside from that, they look just like Dad's extension cords from the 1950's ;^>

the appliance will need the power, so it makes up for lower voltage by pulling more amps (current). That does make the appliance run hotter.

It doesn't work that way. The appliance does not have a way to "pull more amps."

With a thinner, higher-resistance cord, the impedance of the whole circuit (cord+appliance) is higher. Thus, fewer amps will go through it.

And you are correct that the voltage presented to the appliance will be lower (because some of the circuit voltage is dropped across the cord). So the power consumed by the appliance (I*V) will be lower.

Back
Top Bottom