It’s that time of year again (DST)

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We lose something valuable tonight - that extra hour. Don’t forget to change the clocks tonight.

When the alarm rings and I have to leap out of bed without that extra hour to get to work on time I'm going to be really mad...

Wait a minute, never mind. I unplugged my alarm clock a few years ago.

This is not even a thing for a retired person. When working, it sucked. I had a hard enough time on Mondays, changing the clocks certainly made it worse. Now? Well I don't pay much attention to when I get into bed or when I get out of it. Other than changing a few older clocks, everything will self adjust, including me. :)

The one advantage for me is I prefer to walk in the morning before it gets too hot, and at least for the next month or so, it will be a bit cooler. This is Florida, so that won’t last long.

Oh DRAT!!!!

I have been working hard at awakening at around the same time every day. That doesn't happen for me naturally, so I had to set an alarm even in retirement. A week or two ago, I was thinking about it and figured it is probably a learned skill, so I have been trying to learn it. I have been awakening sometime during the 20 minutes before the alarm, slightly over half the days which is a huge step in the right direction.

And now, the stupid time change is going to mess me up. GRRRRR :mad:

Hey working people, take note! This is an example of the insane self-challenges that a retired person can have fun with.... :LOL:

P.S. - - Thanks, MichaelB, for letting us know.

"What's a clock, Daddy?"

You retirees are as smug as that camel in the commercial on Hump-Day! :LOL:

Three letters that no longer have any power over me. Hahaha, p*ss off DST! [emoji12]

I get up when the sun comes up, just like I have done for many years. Guess I am just programmed that way.

Attachments

• 45032907_519489601857575_6837308491774820352_n.jpg
    45032907_519489601857575_6837308491774820352_n.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 47
^^^^^ My boss will awake me at the appointed time for my AM walk. I don't own a dog - I am merely on his staff.

As a parent of very young children, DST is an absolute nightmare. Why do we even have it still?? (There’s a great John Oliver bit on this)

Already done. I did the spring forward a few hours ago. That way less shock in the morning.

As a parent of very young children, DST is an absolute nightmare. Why do we even have it still?? (There’s a great John Oliver bit on this)
Speaking of which, it sounds like California is considering DST for the entire year. Beyond the adjustments that would be needed for travel, computers, clocks, etc., this would also leave children going to school from mid-Fall through the Winter months mostly in the dark in the morning. Not sure I would like that as a parent.

Oh man, it’s going to make it tough to get to yoga class on Monday!

Which States and Territories Don't Use DST?
Western Australia, Queensland, and the Northern Territory don't use DST,

i live in Queensland which doesn't use daylight saving
we tried it once ( in my life-time ) and it was rubbish . we have better things to do than change our clocks and die from heat exhaustion in our sleep

now statisticians will tell you majority of Australians live in daylight saving states ( and majority rules ) and i point out the three states that resist are the majority of the Australian land mass and therefore have the majority of the resources , and i say MONEY TALKS

North Queensland perpetually wants to become a separate nation , but no one wants to pay for the wall the keep Southern migrants out ( or the over-taxed in )

they did try the story of 'all our major trading partners have DST ' and i quickly pointed out all our major trading partners are in the NORTHERN hemisphere .

those who don't understand that difference open international hardware chains ( it seems )

FL legislature passed a “law” last year to make DST the standard time, but needs federal approval.

Lived in AZ for many years w/o DST and wish FL would move off it.

Understand the EU is giving it up in a few years

FL legislature passed a “law” last year to make DST the standard time, but needs federal approval.

Lived in AZ for many years w/o DST and wish FL would move off it.

Understand the EU is giving it up in a few years

We didn't have it in Hawaii when I lived there, either, and I loved not having it. I really liked not having time changes twice a year. I wish the whole country would abandon it.

We didn't have it in Hawaii when I lived there, either, and I loved not having it. I really liked not having time changes twice a year. I wish the whole country would abandon it.

How would you know when to check the battery in your smoke detector? :LOL:

But seriously, one good thing about it is that it is a significant event. I use it to think of some maintenance things that I do once a year or twice a year (but it’s not every six months so it’s not great for semi annual maintenance). Thankfully, my smoke detectors no longer have replaceable batteries, but I still go around and check all my remotes and battery operated things to see if the batteries are in good shape or if they started leaking. Also time to change out furnace filter, refrigerator water filter and the like. And, I will test my smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors tomorrow.

How would you know when to check the battery in your smoke detector? :LOL:

But seriously, one good thing about it is that it is a significant event. I use it to think of some maintenance things that I do once a year or twice a year (but it’s not every six months so it’s not great for semi annual maintenance). Thankfully, my smoke detectors no longer have replaceable batteries, but I still go around and check all my remotes and battery operated things to see if the batteries are in good shape or if they started leaking. Also time to change out furnace filter, refrigerator water filter and the like. And, I will test my smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors tomorrow.

But then what do you do all day long on New Year's Day? :ROFLMAO: (Just jokin' :D )

You retirees are as smug as that camel in the commercial on Hump-Day! :LOL:

Love that commercial and yes sometimes don't know what dayyyy it is.....
Plus one hour extra of daylight at the end of the day... glass half full...

Living in Arizona should make my life simple, but this week a have a dental appointment in New Mexico and a community pancake breakfast there also. So I have to leave an hour sooner.

Here’s someone who didn’t miss a beat due to the time change: my newspaper carrier. Promised delivery is 7am each Sunday and sure enough there it was at the end of the drive, safely double-wrapped (it was a rainy night on the chilly side), right on time.

I don’t know if they were all juiced due to last night’s big deal around here (Duke@UNC in men’s BB) but more likely they take pride in their work. Love that attitude.

Already done. I did the spring forward a few hours ago. That way less shock in the morning.
To try and ease my angst over DST, this past week for the six days proceeding, I moved the clock up 10 minutes each day....sort of like wading into the pool instead of just jumping in.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom