Time to set our clocks back

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
It’s that time again!

Extra sleep tonight, sun a bit earlier tomorrow. To those with clocks that still require manual adjustment, tonight’s the night.

Attachments

• IMG_3336.png
    IMG_3336.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 2
This is the start of the worst time of year. It'll be dark by 4:30P for us here in the Upper Midwest.

Dang, I hate getting up at 2am just to set the clocks back. :facepalm: Well I'll probably be up anyway due a nature call. :)

And of course most smartphones and many (not all) newer vehicles will adjust times automatically.

So let's say you go to sleep at 10pm tomorrow. Don't you lose the hour tomorrow night as it really feels like 11pm?

I have heard a few times in recent days that people will get "an extra hour of sleep" because of this change. I always laugh at that because I always just wake up whenever I happen to wake up on a Sunday morning and don't make adjustments based on DST changes of the clock. But I would prefer we just kept DST year round.

Yes, the Mainland will be an hour closer to us, through the winter. AZ and HI do not change.

Just one more reason to appreciate retirement. This used to affect me when I worked, but not anymore. Unfortunately, health issues have caught up with me. I have a medication that I have to take every 12 hours (exactly, or as close as possible). So my old schedule was 8am/8pm. Now it will be 7am/7pm. Unfortunately, I can’t just take it and go back to sleep because I have to take it with food. 7am will be the new 8am. I’ll have to adjust my alarm because the automatic adjustment would mess up my schedule.

It’s that time again!

Extra sleep tonight, sun a bit earlier tomorrow. To those with clocks that still require manual adjustment, tonight’s the night.
I'm currently living in Japan, where gratefully this lunacy is ignored. Only trouble becomes when I'm planning a meeting with someone in the states, as I happened to have done for Tuesday ... how annoying.

Also, much respect for the XKCD comic ... Big fan. :cool:

The hour of sleep I might have "gained" tonight I will lose to my cats, who instead of 6:30am will start tap-dancing on my head at 5:30am tomorrow to feed them. Yeah, delightful.

Not in Arizona! One of the nice things about living here!

Along with no front license plates.

AZ time is always UTC-7. Makes it easy to convert to other areas of the world.

I have seen articles advocating for the elimination of time zones. Every location would just use a standardized time, such as UTC. Work, school, and other schedules of course would be different in different locations but it would simplify a lot of things.

Last edited:
I have 5 clocks to change plus my car. I wish we would quit switching. Ugh!

I have 5 clocks to change plus my car. I wish we would quit switching. Ugh!

Just be glad you aren't Frank! His hobby (for many decades) has been collecting beautiful old mechanical watches. He has dozens of them and loves wearing each, now and then. Tonight he'll be changing the time on each one of those watches, along with quite a few clocks.

Let's see. Some clocks change automatically at our place. Some don't.
Apple Watch - yes
computer - yes
Alexa - yes
My home built mantel clock - no
water softener - no
water iron filter - no
sprinkler system - no
microwaves - no
oven - no
2017 F-150 - no
2021 Jeep - yes
weather station - yes
workshop neon wall clock - no

And then there is DW's stuff with clocks. Her car and watches need to be changed. Lots of clocks in houses today. It's going to take a while for me to update all of these.

I hate this time of year.

Less sunlight per day.

Baseball season is over.

Gets cold here in the North East.

Pretty soon the leaves will all have fallen and everything looks...dead.

Not a fan of the winter, or DST.

Forgot one clock....

How go I change my dog's clock? He was up a hour early this morning (right on time by the way) and didn't want to hear about this "wait" another hour to eat and go outside.:)

Forgot one clock....

How go I change my dog's clock? He was up a hour early this morning (right on time by the way) and didn't want to hear about this "wait" another hour to eat and go outside.:)

Why does a dog care what time a mechanical clock say?
Unless he has to catch a plane or something.

I'm retired for over a decade now and go mostly by sun time...

You must not have a dog!

It seemed I was always working when the time changed... Yippee got to work 13 hours... Even nicer in the spring... worked 11, paid for 12..

Back
Top Bottom