It’s time to change the clocks once again

It's too bad this doesn't happen at 2pm on a trading day... Then I'd know the 2pm stock price at 1pm.:LOL:

Used to be a big deal! Not so much any more.
Still have to update time on old car clock, mechanical lights timer, coffee maker (doesn't matter), stove.

I have one clock in the garage and one in the house that need to be reset for this. Also the oven and microwave. Everything else does it automatically.

My 2 car clocks do it automatically too - I just have to wait 6 months for them to auto-correct. :LOL:

Drives my wife crazy in the interim. :LOL: :LOL:

When I am absolute ruler of the world, we will switch our clocks one time, by 30 minutes, to put us halfway between standard time and DST.

this is the correct answer.

As someone in FL, I hate the fact that DST means dark mornings in October and April - not light until 7 is horrid. The idea of that getting worse would be bad. But, I also hate that it will be dark by 6pm starting tomorrow. I want a middle ground!

Absolutely hate everything about this clock stuff. Been diagnosed with SAD and for years I hated the clock change. Driving home in the dark was so depressing. I used a light for years but we are father south now and I get up with the sun. Doesn't matter what the clock says.

I'm retired. I don't care what time it is. Unless it's lunch time or supper time - :)

When I am absolute ruler of the world, we will switch our clocks one time, by 30 minutes, to put us halfway between standard time and DST.
I like it too…I don’t see any real need for DST.

I fully understand the need or desire to switch from ST to DST. I hate dark mornings, the sun didn't rise here today until 7:30. I like it to get dark early, tomorrow the sun will set at 4:38! :dance:

The problem is in the 2nd week in June the sun would rise here at 4:16 if we stay on ST, in late December and early January the sun wouldn't rise until 8:20 on DST. The shifting of the clock does make sense but it is hard to adjust to especially when going from ST to DST and it seems to be harder with each passing year.

No RE for me yet. However, I do get a 13hr shift tonight instead of a 12hr AND since I am salary, it's a charitable contribution to my employer. 420 days and counting!

No need to set the clock here.

Two best things about Arizona, no Daylight Saving Time and no front license plates.

This is pretty much it - especially once you’re retired.

When told the reason for Daylight Saving time, the old Indian said: “Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket. (Author Unknown)

The amount of light in a day is determined by the orbit of the earth around the sun, not the clock. Personally, I’m pretty sure that all that will happen is that the time I get up and the time I go to bed will be recorded as being one hour earlier. Of course this was much different when I worked and when we had to get kids to school on time. So glad that’s over. Totally agree that the exercise is pointless. Just lock in the time and deal with the shorter amount of daylight at this time of year. Or, snowbird to the Southern Hemisphere.

We have to take my SIL to the airport tomorrow morning for a 6am flight, so the extra hour is very much appreciated!!!

You could even eliminate all the different time zones so everyone is on the same time! Bonus!

Like China you mean? I don’t think I’d like that, unless I lived on the same longitude as Beijing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/17/world/asia/china-single-time-zone.html

Some days, the sun doesn’t come up until 10 a.m. or later. People eat lunch after 2 p.m., or even after 4 if they’re not in a rush. The school day stretches so late that children can’t get home in time to catch their favorite cartoon shows.

Why are the clocks in Urumqi, China, so far out of kilter with the cycles of the sun? Because of a legacy of Mao Zedong and the Communist Party’s desire for unified control. Though China is almost as wide as the continental United States, the whole country is officially in just one time zone — Beijing time.

So when it’s 7 a.m. in the Forbidden City, it’s also officially 7 a.m. 2,000 miles to the west in Urumqi, the capital of the Xinjiang region — even if the stars are still out there.

That can lead to headaches — and lost sleep. “It’s hard to adjust,” says Gao Li, a sanitation worker in Urumqi. “I often think we must be the only people who eat dinner at midnight.”

I think those who live in far northern areas like Alaska or Scandinavia must laugh when they read a thread like this. The adjustments most of us have to deal with would seem petty to them.

This never gets old:

Attachments

• 53BBB53A-8C89-4967-B700-A16064DF01EA_1_105_c.jpeg
    53BBB53A-8C89-4967-B700-A16064DF01EA_1_105_c.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 31
Not everyone has that kind of money. I was hoping to go down to Florida for a couple months this winter but rising rental costs have priced me out.
There is always Mexico. :D

Cheers!

I've been saving my annual hour each year since retiring in 2005. I plan on splurging when I get to 24 and doing something really special. Unfortunately DW isn't on board. She thinks the whole idea is simply my LBYM lifestyle run amok.

I say don’t let up and keep going with your plan. You’ll show her - and us! :)

A Chicago radio personality, Bob Collins, used to say "Daylight Savings time is like cutting a foot off the bottom of your sheets and sewing it to the other end!" I would be just as happy to abolish it altogether. Making DST year round is just crazy IMO; why not make it a 2hr or 3hr shift?

My 2 car clocks do it automatically too - I just have to wait 6 months for them to auto-correct. :LOL:

Drives my wife crazy in the interim. :LOL: :LOL:

You'll only have to wait about four months, we're already on DST about eight months each year. :)

I vote for staying on Standard time year round. No clocking changing twice a year and thus the elimination of DST. I would rather have a little more daylight early in the day during the winter months. Seems to work out well in AZ.

It certainly does. And when it's 110°F+ in the summer we really don't need an extra hour of sunlight in the evening.

In the north it is nice to have more light in the evenings. I would prefer DS stay year around. Winter it is dark at 4pm and doesn't conserve one ounce of energy in my part of the world.

Last edited:
I wish we could just stop switching and then tweak time zones. Permanent dst would be better for here I think Or if permanent standard time just move us to Atlantic time as Gumby said. But I can totally see if you are in other locations you might be fine with standard time and not dst.

I used to visit someone on the western side of my time zone and the difference in sunrise/ sunsets was very noticeable Both dst and the time zones as they currently exist are comparatively new as I learned here https://www.cnn.com/2013/08/22/world/daylight-saving-time-fast-facts/index.html They are not written in stone

You'll only have to wait about four months, we're already on DST about eight months each year. :)

We were out and about with our son yesterday in his car and as we were heading back I remarked that it was already 12:30 to which he replied that he hadn’t changed his car clock and I recalled that he never does turn his car clock back and is permanently on DST when he is driving. (Our clocks moved back a week ago)

this is the correct answer.

As someone in FL, I hate the fact that DST means dark mornings in October and April - not light until 7 is horrid. The idea of that getting worse would be bad. But, I also hate that it will be dark by 6pm starting tomorrow. I want a middle ground!

I live 30 miles West of the timeline in Fl, the last week of Nov. and first week of Dec, sunset is at 4:42. I don't like it, sign me up for DST.

Check your sunrise/ sunset here.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/usa

Last edited:
The shifting of the clock does make sense but it is hard to adjust to especially when going from ST to DST and it seems to be harder with each passing year.

I've never understood the grumbling about this "big adjustment". For one hour? Really?

For most of my life I worked rotating shift work anyway (circadian rhythm? whazzat?) and even now my sleep hours vary by more than an hour so I just don't notice a mere one hour difference.

Back
Top Bottom