It’s time to change the clocks once again

I don’t care if it is standard or DST, stick to one and stop this completely unnecessary expense.

I've never understood the grumbling about this "big adjustment". For one hour? Really?

Yup. I go to sleep anywhere between 9:00 and 1:00 and wake up anywhere from 5:00 to 8:00...depending on what I'm doing. Plus I'm retired so it's a non issue for me.

That being said, I live further north and would prefer year round DST because more light later in the day is more useful.

I hated any change before FIRE including the DST time change. To minimize it's impact, I scheduled vacation leaves around the time changes.

Yup. I go to sleep anywhere between 9:00 and 1:00 and wake up anywhere from 5:00 to 8:00...depending on what I'm doing. Plus I'm retired so it's a non issue for me.

That being said, I live further north and would prefer year round DST because more light later in the day is more useful.
Now that I'm retired, I'm similarly unaffected. However, from the point of view of broader society, most people who live on the far eastern edges of a time zone would prefer Daylight Savings Time forever. That is the case here in New England, on the far eastern edge of the Eastern Time Zone, where the sun sets at 4:11 pm in Boston in early December. (The latest sunrise is in early January, at 7:13 am.) By contrast, in Terre Haute, Indiana, which is in the same Eastern Time Zone but a little farther south, the earliest sunset is 5.25pm in early December (and the latest sunrise is 8:10 am in January).

That's why I suggested earlier that we in New England would be better served if we just shifted one time zone to the east (to the Atlantic Time Zone) and then stayed on standard time and never changed, to avoid the disruption caused by switching back and forth. If we did that, the earliest sunset in Boston would be 5:11 pm and the latest sunrise would be 8:13 am. That hour or so of sunlight is far more valuable at the end of the day than at the beginning.

I probably post this twice a year when the time change threads pop up, but as someone mentioned earlier, I think it's time to move to one standard time (GMT/UTC) world-wide.

It's not as wacky as it may seem, it's just technological progression. Time zones didn't exist at all until the technology of trains came along. Before then, each town had its own time, based on solar noon. But a train moving quickly from town to town on a printed schedule was confusing, would you adjust your watch at each stop? Unless you change your watch each stop, the schedule needed a reference time. Putting all stops in a time zone on the same time solved that, until you crossed a time zone.

Well now, we communicate instantaneously. Scheduling anything world-wide would be much easier if all you had to do was say, meeting at 15:00 UTC. No ambiguity.

So what if some people work 9AM-5PM(17) and eat breakfast at 8AM, and others work 3PM(15)-11PM((23) and eat breakfast at 2PM(14)? You'd soon get used to what time breakfast lunch dinner is locally. What difference does it make?

-ERD50

Getting to be that changing clock is a thing of the Past…..phone, watch. Living room , bedside clocks etc all get their time off the internet now

Seven pm and it's been dark for 2 hours. But it'll be brighter earlier tomorrow.

I could care less. Let's just have 1 time and call it good.

No need to set the clock here.

Two best things about Arizona, no Daylight Saving Time and no front license plates.

A fellow Arizonan here. We don't mess around with our clocks.

I still have to remember that the NYSE will not open till 7:30AM local time, instead of 6:30AM. I am usually up at 6:30, and always look on the Web to see how the market opens. Will have to wait another hour, while checking out my garden and drinking coffee.

In the north it is nice to have more light in the evenings. I would prefer DS stay year around. Winter it is dark at 4pm and doesn't conserve one ounce of energy in my part of the world.

I would rather have the light in the evenings. It's warmer here at 4 pm than it is at 7 am. I'd rather have the light when it's warmer for outside activities.

Now that I'm retired, I'm similarly unaffected. However, from the point of view of broader society, most people who live on the far eastern edges of a time zone would prefer Daylight Savings Time forever. That is the case here in New England, on the far eastern edge of the Eastern Time Zone, where the sun sets at 4:11 pm in Boston in early December. (The latest sunrise is in early January, at 7:13 am.) By contrast, in Terre Haute, Indiana, which is in the same Eastern Time Zone but a little farther south, the earliest sunset is 5.25pm in early December (and the latest sunrise is 8:10 am in January).

That's why I suggested earlier that we in New England would be better served if we just shifted one time zone to the east (to the Atlantic Time Zone) and then stayed on standard time and never changed, to avoid the disruption caused by switching back and forth. If we did that, the earliest sunset in Boston would be 5:11 pm and the latest sunrise would be 8:13 am. That hour or so of sunlight is far more valuable at the end of the day than at the beginning.
That sounds good to me. Living in NH my least favorite time of year is when it gets dark at 4:30 pm. I would like an extra hour in the afternoon. Don't care so much in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom