It’s time to change the clocks once again

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Don’t forget to set your clocks back tonight. Today is the last day of Daylight Saving Time 2021 and we get one whole hour of extra time. Use it wisely, folks. :greetings10:

Don’t forget to set your clocks back tonight. Today is the last day of Daylight Saving Time 2021 and we get one whole hour of extra time. Use it wisely, folks. :greetings10:

Thanks. This was one of the bummers when working because it meant leaving work in the dark (in the US midwest, anyway). Another problem solved by RE!

Not a big deal, but I read there’s another push to make DS permanent year round - I’d vote for that.

19 states say we should all just spring forward

Every state except Hawaii and Arizona currently observes daylight saving time. But each year, more states say it's time to stop futzing with the clock and embrace daylight saving time year-round.

"In the last four years, 19 states have enacted legislation or passed resolutions to provide for year-round daylight saving time, if Congress were to allow such a change," according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Momentum seems to be building: Between 2015 and 2019, 29 states introduced legislation to abolish resetting the clocks, according to the Department of Transportation, which is in charge of time zones and daylight saving.

States backing the change range from Florida to Washington. Some states have said they would link a potential switch to decisions on DST by their closest neighbors, hoping to minimize disruptions in regions such as the Midwest and New England.

None of those states can act without an act of Congress — and Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., has repeatedly introduced legislation to do that. His Sunshine Protection Act is currently stuck at the committee level.

U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam do not currently observe daylight saving.

I've been saving my annual hour each year since retiring in 2005. I plan on splurging when I get to 24 and doing something really special. Unfortunately DW isn't on board. She thinks the whole idea is simply my LBYM lifestyle run amok.

If you live up north and need more daylight hours then do what the rest of the snowbirds do and head south. :D

Cheers!

I already set my clocks back :LOL:.

Got that done and out of the way.

I have one clock in the garage and one in the house that need to be reset for this. Also the oven and microwave. Everything else does it automatically.

Last edited:
When I first moved out - I missed the memo on one of the time changes that first spring... and was an hour late to work. Never did that again.

As for saving that extra hour for later... just get to spend it in the spring.

Need to pay attention to this... Older son has to call into his corporate HR when they open first thing (in AZ) tomorrow to remind them he's out for two weeks due to surgery tomorrow afternoon. Today, AZ is the same time as CA... Tomorrow they will be an hour an hour different... so he has to wake up earlier to do this.

I vote for staying on Standard time year round. No clocking changing twice a year and thus the elimination of DST. I would rather have a little more daylight early in the day during the winter months. Seems to work out well in AZ.

I vote for staying on Standard time year round. No clocking changing twice a year and thus the elimination of DST. I would rather have a little more daylight early in the day during the winter months. Seems to work out well in AZ.

I'm with you, as most morning people probably are.

Exact opposite for me. I don't care that it is dark in the morning. DST or standard, I am still up before the sun. In a perfect world (for me) the sun sets about 8 p.m.

Agree. But I don't think this will happen.

If you live up north and need more daylight hours then do what the rest of the snowbirds do and head south. :D

Not everyone has that kind of money. I was hoping to go down to Florida for a couple months this winter but rising rental costs have priced me out.

I would hate to stay in Standard time year round. Here that would mean sun rising at 4:15am in the Summer and the sun setting 4:15pm in the winter. No thanks. Bad enough now.

We can get used to any system, so I've never seen DST as a big deal.

Many military folks always wore a watch that showed both local time and GMT (Zulu time). And remember Gen. Schwarzkopf during Desert Storm? He had his regular watch on one wrist and one showing Washington DC time on the other, just to simplify his coordinating with his bosses.

Bills to standardize away from these periodic DST adjustments have been proposed seriously for many years, but never come to anything. It's just another pet peeve for most.

Aren’t they going to stop this soon and stay on standard time?

I think that if most New Englanders had their preference, we would just switch to the Atlantic Time Zone (same as the Canadian Maritimes) and never observe Daylight Savings time again.

I think that if most New Englanders had their preference, we would just switch to the Atlantic Time Zone (same as the Canadian Maritimes) and never observe Daylight Savings time again.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me.

And I've always admired Newfoundland's independent stance.

Absolutely agree

When I am absolute ruler of the world, we will switch our clocks one time, by 30 minutes, to put us halfway between standard time and DST.

Back
Top Bottom