Kids meals

Just read a article about McDonalds kids menu and why they don't want adults ordering from it. McDonald's want families to come in and eat so to get families in the door they offer kids meals that make little profit but hope to make more profit when the adults order regular priced items. If adults only purchased kids menu items McDonald's profits would be way down. Which means that they will have to raise the regular menu items prices to make up for the loss. Same goes for restaurants as well. So what you are doing and want all restaurant's to do is going to make me and others pay a higher price for regular menu items. But I guess it is all about you and what you want to knit pick, maybe you should find another hobby.

Just read a article about McDonalds kids menu and why they don't want adults ordering from it. McDonald's want families to come in and eat so to get families in the door they offer kids meals that make little profit but hope to make more profit when the adults order regular priced items. If adults only purchased kids menu items McDonald's profits would be way down. Which means that they will have to raise the regular menu items prices to make up for the loss. Same goes for restaurants as well. So what you are doing and want all restaurant's to do is going to make me and others pay a higher price for regular menu items. But I guess it is all about you and what you want to knit pick, maybe you should find another hobby.

No, it is following the law...

BTW, my sister said they do not post an age limit at McD so anybody can buy with their rules.... and the sum of the items is cheaper than the meal... I had this argument with my DD many times...

McDonald's want families to come in and eat so to get families in the door they offer kids meals that make little profit but hope to make more profit when the adults order regular priced items.

That was my suspicion: kids' meals and senior meals are loss leaders, or at least lower-profit than full meals. The profit % is higher on regular meals because it doesn't cost them twice as much in labor and other overhead to serve a meal with twice the quantity of ingredients (which I figure is also the reason regular meals have such gargantuan portions). They're meant to bring in people who otherwise wouldn't be there, or who come in off-hours (such as early-bird specials).

Most of the time the "Kids' Menu" items I see are pretty limited- a burger, chicken fingers or macaroni and cheese in a place with a far more varied regular menu. My granddaughter is almost 4 and we've always given her shares of whatever we order- so she eats stuffed mushrooms, pickles, broccoli, even crab legs. About the only thing she avoids is highly-spiced foods. Her one-year old sister is already scarfing down my Cincinnati Chili.:D

Fudd used to offer a senior meal that was very similar to a kids meal, my Mom got it all the time, but we haven't been there in a while so maybe that has been discontinued, or maybe it was only at a certain location - the one near Taste of Texas in Houston - lots of changes since they were bought out a few years ago.

No, it is following the law...

BTW, my sister said they do not post an age limit at McD so anybody can buy with their rules.... and the sum of the items is cheaper than the meal... I had this argument with my DD many times...

I never said it was against the law, and you have yet shown a law. I said they would rather you not and the reason why.
So no matter what anyone says you are still going to dispute it so my next and last 30 seconds wasting on this useless thread is to find the ignore button. Next time I am in a restaurant and hear someone complaining it will probably be you.

I never said it was against the law, and you have yet shown a law. I said they would rather you not and the reason why.
So no matter what anyone says you are still going to dispute it so my next and last 30 seconds wasting on this useless thread is to find the ignore button. Next time I am in a restaurant and hear someone complaining it will probably be you.

Probably not... I do not complain that much... but you think whatever you want without knowing me....

I really hadn't noticed if our favorite restaurant has kids' meals. I think today I will look for that on the menu, and if they look good I might order one and see what happens! What, me, stir the pot at our favorite restaurant? "More at eleven", as the saying goes. :LOL:

They aren't going to want to upset us, because we go there so often and tip more than some do. They always greet us and treat us like visiting royalty. Should be interesting.

As I said, I would post whatever I found out...

Finally was able to talk to somebody at a state agency... she was a nice lady...

I had asked if there was a law saying that if something was on a menu did they have to sell it to anybody (kids meal bought by an adult)... she said she had heard this before but was not aware of any state law preventing them from only selling to kids... she said as far as the state is concerned that they can refuse to sell to anybody the wish... so if they did not want to sell me an adult meal there was nothing I could do...

She did say that she was not aware if there was a county law or a city law that might address this, but she could look into it for me... I said it was not worth it to me to waste state resources for this as I was not going to be going back anyhow.... and I am not willing to try and find someone else to call...

I thanked her for her help...

So, I will say it looks like what I had heard is a wife's tale.... but not law...

We almost always share meals or order appetizers.The portions are horrendous at most restaurants and I dislike leftovers .

We always order drinks if we split a meal and that is where the profit is for most places and we tip well. However, most times we get our own entree and then have leftovers which is great.

You want a legal battle over the difference in cost between a kid's meal and an adult's meal? Doesn't that seem excessive?

Are you actually retired yet? This is what we do!

Lets just pass a law that says anyone over 55 gets free restaurant meals! But then, I guess, the folks under 55 would complain. Free restaurant meals for everyone!

and on the flip side of the coin...

We were recently in an all day breakfast sort of place. My DH ordered the kids French toast plate (2 pieces toast, 1 slice bacon, sliced fruit) and they asked if he also wanted the crayons and paper coloring place mat. Yes! Absolutely! We had a great time with the crayons waiting for the food to arrive.

I really hadn't noticed if our favorite restaurant has kids' meals. I think today I will look for that on the menu, and if they look good I might order one and see what happens! What, me, stir the pot at our favorite restaurant? "More at eleven", as the saying goes. :LOL:

They DO have kids' meals on that menu! But none that I wanted to order. A plain white bread and American cheese sandwich, a kid-sized cheese only pizza, meatballs with marinara (that costs as much as an adult meal), and one other unappetizing choice that I have forgotten. I would say that overall, the kids' menu sounded exceedingly bland, plain, and overpriced for what you get. So, we split an order from the adult side of the menu.

I would say that overall, the kids' menu sounded exceedingly bland, plain, and overpriced for what you get. So, we split an order from the adult side of the menu.

That's what I've noticed at most places- nothing special, and suited only to kids who are picky eaters. I'd rather share some of my "real" food with them or let them order from the regular menu and take the leftovers home.

I have fond memories of stopping at a restaurant with my family on a road trip and insisting on shrimp cocktail as my main course for dinner when I was a kid- maybe 10 years old. My 4 siblings wanted me to share. I didn't. :)

They DO have kids' meals on that menu! But none that I wanted to order. A plain white bread and American cheese sandwich, a kid-sized cheese only pizza, meatballs with marinara (that costs as much as an adult meal), and one other unappetizing choice that I have forgotten. I would say that overall, the kids' menu sounded exceedingly bland, plain, and overpriced for what you get. So, we split an order from the adult side of the menu.

I agree.... most kids meals are not interesting to me... for some reason my mom likes a number of them, but not all...

she said as far as the state is concerned that they can refuse to sell to anybody the wish...

That seems far more concerning that whether or not an age criteria can be established. You saw this through and reported back, but if I was encouraged to verify whether or not a law exists, I'd be much more likely to do so if I was refused a meal for any reason other than something obvious like being disorderly.

@Texas Proud. Please send me those filthy disgusting Fudrucker gift cards you have so I can dispose of them properly.
Thank you.

@Texas Proud. Please send me those filthy disgusting Fudrucker gift cards you have so I can dispose of them properly.
Thank you.

LOL.... good try.... but they will be going as gifts to friends and family who will still go...

That seems far more concerning that whether or not an age criteria can be established. You saw this through and reported back, but if I was encouraged to verify whether or not a law exists, I'd be much more likely to do so if I was refused a meal for any reason other than something obvious like being disorderly.

It was not said, but I think that they can refuse as long as it is not breaking some discrimination law...

Thinking about it, I have seen places where they do say 'no shirt, no shoes, no service'... and I have heard about places that make you wear a jacket... so it is not just disorderly...

As an aside.... I am surprised that I have not received a reply from Fudd... not that it would matter, just that most companies will respond to a complaint...

Back
Top Bottom