Kids meals

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... when we take out my 98 YO mom we almost always buy her a kids meal... usually the same with my 75 YO sister... sometimes even me...

Well, some places say if you buy as an adult they charge extra... OK, that is fine... but today we went to Fuddruckers and was told 'you have to be 12 or under to order one'...

Now, I have heard and read before that in Texas the law is they cannot refuse to sell one to an adult, that it is only a suggestion... but I have been looking for that law and cannot find it...

Anybody have an idea of where it might be hiding?

Also, what state agency do I report them?

I'd find a different restaurant that appreciates my business more....

+1

And maybe I'd politely, calmly inform the manager of that Fuddruckers of your displeasure and your intention of never returning, before looking for that different restaurant.

Honestly I always thought it was very unfair that grownups could not eat kiddie meals, but it never occurred to me to order one or contest it. Good for you!

We are doing that... we were leaning that way anyhow as the kids portions were getting less... we did leave and did not order from them and told mgr why...

As to why we were leaning on not going in the future.... last time there were 2 chicken strips instead of 3... and they told me it was always 2... I said 'then why have I always gotten 3 all the other times I have ordered?'....

Also, the sliced apples were a total of 4 slices... and also 4 onion rings even though I had to pay 1.35 more to get them over fries..

Still have to go as I do have 3 $25 gift cards with them unless I unload them as gifts...

But what I WANT to do is send an email to corporate with the law as they said corp is cracking down on them to only sell to kids.... and see what I get back from them....

What Wahoo said. Or maybe the ATF? I always thought that "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms" would be a great name for a convenience store... Not so much a fed agency. :LOL:

I think I'd stay home and eat PBJ sandwiches! Those are the best kids' meals around!

I've ordered kids meals through the drive through and never had anybody question it. I did get a questionable look when I used to take my cat and order at the Dairy Queen drive-up window.

DW and I will do something similar often when we can agree on what to eat. Not kids meals but will split an entree, or buy a large poboy rather than paying a few bucks more for 2 small ones. Of course we've run into a few places that charge for splitting the meal, most don't.

I love kids meals, just order them through drive through. Dairy Queen let me order a banana instead of fries and you got a dilly bar.. that was the best. Someplace else gave you mandarin oranges.. ie I way prefer fruit over potatoes and I considered it a deal. I haven't eaten fast food in like 5 years but that's what I use to eat on road trips. I'd also order the chocolate milk.

It makes no sense to limit it to a specific age range, they are either making money on the deal or they are not.. fast food isn't selling millions of happy meals as a loss leader. I can't imagine Fuddruckers is either.

I love kids meals, just order them through drive through. Dairy Queen let me order a banana instead of fries and you got a dilly bar.. that was the best. Someplace else gave you mandarin oranges.. ie I way prefer fruit over potatoes and I considered it a deal. I haven't eaten fast food in like 5 years but that's what I use to eat on road trips. I'd also order the chocolate milk.

It makes no sense to limit it to a specific age range, they are either making money on the deal or they are not.. fast food isn't selling millions of happy meals as a loss leader. I can't imagine Fuddruckers is either.

Yea, McD does not have an age limit... at least I have not seen one...

A Mexican place we go to says it will add $1 if someone over 13 buys a kids meal... I am fine with that since it is listed... but I do think I had seen where it is illegal to NOT sell one if you have on the menu...

At 45 years old, did you try to move into a 55+ retirement community? I get the logic of age discrimination, but there must be exceptions or how could 55+ communities exist. If it's clear on their menu, I don't see how they're breaking any law.

As was mentioned, think about splitting a meal. Me and DW do that. I agree, the standard menu item at most places is way too much food for either of us. Thankfully, DW also is fine with leftovers (me, not so much) so she'll get a couple meals out of one. Personally, I do wish there were better options on more menus. I'm pretty sure Bob Evans has a senior section to it's menu where the portions are smaller along with the price. Point is, there are options that are easier and less stressful to you than pursuing this with a letter pointing to a law.

At 45 years old, did you try to move into a 55+ retirement community? I get the logic of age discrimination, but there must be exceptions or how could 55+ communities exist. If it's clear on their menu, I don't see how they're breaking any law.

As was mentioned, think about splitting a meal. Me and DW do that. I agree, the standard menu item at most places is way too much food for either of us. Thankfully, DW also is fine with leftovers (me, not so much) so she'll get a couple meals out of one. Personally, I do wish there were better options on more menus. I'm pretty sure Bob Evans has a senior section to it's menu where the portions are smaller along with the price. Point is, there are options that are easier and less stressful to you than pursuing this with a letter pointing to a law.

We also get many meals and take home leftovers for a second... however, hamburgers do not lend themselves to this IMO...

As to the law, from what I remember reading there is a law against them selling to any customer anything they have on the menu... they put an age to discourage others from buying this, but as I said I think the law prevents them from not selling... the rule does allow them to list an up charge if someone older does buy this....

I have never tried, but I would think this would also apply to senior meals... I once bought a senior meal when I was in my 40s not knowing it was a senior meal... it came with less food... I was happy with what I got...

This is not like a senior home, or even a movie where they can sell to you or not based on age... the law (if I am right) only applies to food service establishments...

If I can find the law I will put it down... if I find I am wrong I will do so also... if I find nothing... well, then nothing....

Now, I have heard and read before that in Texas the law is they cannot refuse to sell one to an adult, that it is only a suggestion... but I have been looking for that law and cannot find it...

Anybody have an idea of where it might be hiding?

Also, what state agency do I report them?

You want a legal battle over the difference in cost between a kid's meal and an adult's meal? Doesn't that seem excessive?

Wouldn't you be better served taking your business somewhere else? Perhaps some place that either will sell a kid's meal to an adult or give them a sufficient senior citizen discount?

I've never thought of ordering from the kid's menu. I rarely have large bacon double cheeseburgers like I used to when I was younger, but most places that have a kid's menu also have some sort of "value menu" that offers smaller portions.

You (or someone close to you) could post about this on Twitter or other social media and I bet the restaurant would be in touch with you. Why not make the items be both kids and seniors? We’ve gotten kids’ meals from other restaurants as carryouts—the restaurants don’t know how old the people are who will be eating them.

I was just looking at my NPS Senior pass which I bought for $10 a few years ago. It gets me into all National Parks for FREE for the rest of my life. All because I am 62+. Today, that pass is still a screaming deal even at $80 if one visits the National Parks with any regularity.

Somehow, not being able to buy a kid's meal seems like a small price to pay for that benefit.

You want a legal battle over the difference in cost between a kid's meal and an adult's meal? Doesn't that seem excessive?

Wouldn't you be better served taking your business somewhere else? Perhaps some place that either will sell a kid's meal to an adult or give them a sufficient senior citizen discount?

First, I am not in any legal battle... I am just trying to hold a company to the law (again, if I am right)... and no, it is not excessive IMO... a kids meal is about $5 and and adult meal (admittedly with more food) is over $10... multiply that by 4 people and you are talking $20 more to eat...

I am taking my business somewhere else... this is not mutually exclusive... I can do both....

And it is people who actually try and hold companies to the law that helps everybody out... if nobody complained then companies would be much worse than they are...

I was just looking at my NPS Senior pass which I bought for $10 a few years ago. It gets me into all National Parks for FREE for the rest of my life. All because I am 62+. Today, that pass is still a screaming deal even at $80 if one visits the National Parks with any regularity.

Somehow, not being able to buy a kid's meal seems like a small price to pay for that benefit.

I do not know why others keep trying to attach some other purchase or offer with a meal... they have nothing to do with each other...

If the law says they have to sell to an adult even if it is listed as a kids meal then they should sell it.... period... no need to go to national parks or 55+ communities etc. etc...

I will give another example.... DS rented a room in a shared apt. at college... there were 2 other roommates (could be up to 4 if you want) who share the kitchen and living room, but each has their own bedroom and shower (some have shared shower).... I asked if this was limited to college students.... I was told no... it is against the law for them to limit it to a college student even though that is what is being advertised.... they had no problem following the law but was not pushing for non-college people to rent....

I do not know why others keep trying to attach some other purchase or offer with a meal... they have nothing to do with each other...

If the law says they have to sell to an adult even if it is listed as a kids meal then they should sell it.... period... no need to go to national parks or 55+ communities etc. etc...

I don't want to get into an argument about this. My point, which I obviously failed to make, is that if we get people thinking to hard about age based prices/discount, we might find that we (the old folks) end up getting the short stick.

I don't want to get into an argument about this. My point, which I obviously failed to make, is that if we get people thinking to hard about age based prices/discount, we might find that we (the old folks) end up getting the short stick.

A legit argument... but a good number of them are legal so should not be a concern...

If we can't agree on what to split we take the leftovers home for the next day. Some places have senior meals. I wouldn't waste my time trying to prove them wrong.

Back
Top Bottom