Listening to Music - help me get current?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
So, now that I am finally retired:dance:

I'll have more time for one of my favorite things - listening to music.

What few albums and CDs I have left are in storage and I am not even sure I should keep them any longer...they weigh me down in a life increasingly mobile and less constrained - wanting to cut down on clutter and material items.

A long time ago, I created an iTunes library and bought and burned and all that. I haven't used it in a long time....think I had trouble moving it from a Windows device to an Apple device several years ago and so I gave up.

So that brings me to now, where I mostly listen to songs off YouTube on my laptop or phone....not the greatest quality.

So suggestions on my best bet for better sound quality (although I don't need audiophile quality)....and a device I could set in my new living room and listen to whatever, whenever?

Does anyone still buy CDs? (or albums? lol I see turntables en vogue)....do you buy audio files instead?
My ignorance is showing.
All suggestions appreciated!

No one buys anything ;)

Join Spotify, you can create a playlist of almost anything. Old and new. Look into getting a small wireless bluetooth speaker you can sync easily to any phone.

Open playlist, turn on bluetooth, go about your day with background music.

I also have a Sirius subscription (you can get them for $6 a month), and that has a bazillion themed channels. Like you can listen to 80's early new wave all day, or all Bruce Springsteen channel, or all U2, all 90's grunge, Yacht Rock, and a lot of other flavors.

Internet radio is a nice option if you have a device that will receive it. I regularly listen to Venice Classic Radio through TuneIn on Bose devices connected to my home wifi. That’s classical but there are many genres available.

My CD collection was ripped to Apple and works well with Apple Music (formerly iTunes). That took seemingly forever but it’s done and I’m glad to have them. LPs are a to-do. I continue to buy the occasional CD and those get imported as they come.

Last edited:
I ripped most of my collection to iTunes years ago but rarely listen to my own files (about 530hrs of content). I primarily stream through Amazon devices through Amazon Music but I'm not currently an Unlimited Subscriber and also use Spotify (free again), Pandora, and Accuradio. Between all the "free" services, I can usually listen to what I want. It was nice having a paid subscription and being able to listen to exactly what I want all the time but between them I can usually scratch the itch and be exposed to random "new to me" stuff. I may subscribe again at some point when offered a nice teaser deal but I'm pretty content as is.

WRT quality, I have no issues, I connect to my stereo receiver via FireTV or bluetooth through quality speakers (early 1970's "Made in Japan" Panasonics my dad bought before I was born) and it's good enough for my ears!

There are lots of options today. I used Apple Music - they have a huge catalog of music.

We have HomePods in various rooms and so music can be played simply by asking for it. So easy and sounds so good.

If you make a little effort to tell it what you like and dislike (“don’t play this song”, “I like this song”) it gets scary good at picking music for you. Now I usually just say “play some music” and it does a better job of picking out music than I would. Quieter music early in the morning, uptempo stuff in the afternoon, etc. It’ll stick to a theme, not jarringly going from one genre to another - which is what happens when I just play random music from my collection.

If you have Amazon's Alexa devices, you can ask most any genre or artist to play.

I have Alexa devices connected to two stereos. This gives me voice command of my music. For music content, I subscribe to Amazon Unlimited Music (70 million songs). If you are a prime member its $79 per year. For free music I use Pandora.

ETA: I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but all of the pay music services have curated playlists and you can create and save your own playlists. I just tell Alexa to "play my playlist xyz". The Alexa devices also give you voice control to play radio stations.

I have hundreds of CDs and all converted to MP3s. I do not use either. Steaming is the way to go.

Last edited:
So that brings me to now, where I mostly listen to songs off YouTube on my laptop or phone....not the greatest quality.

So suggestions on my best bet for better sound quality (although I don't need audiophile quality)....and a device I could set in my new living room and listen to whatever, whenever?

Could you be more specific as to the sound quality you are seeking?

Does anyone still buy CDs? (or albums? lol I see turntables en vogue)....do you buy audio files instead?

I haven't bought a CD for 10 years or so. I do listen to them occasionally when I want to get hear the highest quality audio my stereo can output.

I mostly listen to Amazon Prime Music if I want to hear music from the past 10-15 years that I don't already own.

I use Echo speakers paired in stereo and stream SiriusXM and Amazon Prime Music. With the latter, you can play just about any song or album ever created. I've tried some pretty obscure ones, bands I had never heard of, and they're almost all available. Haven't had a need to play a CD since I went in that direction.

Do you have an old receiver and turntable or tape player still? I could be wrong, but I think a decent receiver and turntable from the 'old days' would sound better than streaming, and even better than CD's. I have a vintage turntable, receiver, dual cassette player, and 2 big wooden speakers. The turntable sounds great on those speakers. I have a bunch of old records and tapes. There's always a new one to play, lol. I had thought about getting rid of them at one time, but am glad I kept them.

Thanks for all the responses! I would be much more interested in curating my own playlists (I have fairly specific tastes)...so do I understand correctly that one can curate one's own playlist with these subscription services? presumably the platform catalogs are huge enough to cater to most anyone, even me lol.
I am not too interested in themed lists - i.e. "Golden Hits from the 80s!" LOL

Thanks!

oh PS/In terms of sound quality, I really am not an audiophile and yet I do appreciate what a decent set of speakers or headphones can provide.

I realize that sounds vague...I don't know the name for decent quality sound without needing the highest levels available?

oh PS/In terms of sound quality, I really am not an audiophile and yet I do appreciate what a decent set of speakers or headphones can provide.

I realize that sounds vague...I don't know the name for decent quality sound without needing the highest levels available?

Do you find the sound quality of a basic car stereo playing FM stereo radio to be adequate?

Or do you want something a bit more dynamic range than that? (Deeper bass and clearer treble?)

How loud to you like to listen?

What kind of equipment did you have when you would play your CD's? And were you satisfied with it?

Or do you want something a bit more dynamic range than that? (Deeper bass and clearer treble?) - this, but does not have to be the highest end - is that enough to describe?

I will turn it up loud when outdoors...but otherwise not too loud

It's been so long...wow....I had a JVC set of components, probably mid-range in price...a turntable, a CD player, receiver, decent speakers...it's been so long, I can't recall exactly.... I gave it all up when I moved about 15 years ago...sad that it's been that long.

My choice is Apple Music. I purchased 4 Apple Home Pods (3 of the original, larger, more expensive, now being discontinued HomePods and 1 of the newer, current HomePod Minis). I have them set up in 4 different rooms throughout the house. When I say "Hey Siri, Home Music") it randomly plays a huge playlist that I have set up (and update now and then) all through the house on all 4 speakers at one time. Love it.

My Music Routine

I listen to Pandora free in the workshop, in the car, and doing yard work. I also listen to lots of podcasts in those scenarios. But for passive music listening, Pandora is the best. When I first retired, I spent several weeks configuring and fine-tuning seven different Pandora stations with artists and genres I enjoy. Now I just shuffle the seven channels and I get a fantastic mix of music I know as well as new music I've never heard. I also take the time to click thumbs-up and thumbs-down regularly so Pandora continuously improves my offerings.

For a less passive music experience, I mainly use free YouTube on my Fire TV. I enjoy the visual element as well. We have a large and complex surround sound system, built around some large legacy Klipsch speakers in the living room. I subscribe to dozens of music channels and have started building up a few playlists. YouTube has learned what I like and makes excellent suggestions. I also have several family members near and far who share my passion for music. We exchange YouTube links almost daily, so I always have a backlog of new stuff to check out.

Or do you want something a bit more dynamic range than that? (Deeper bass and clearer treble?) - this, but does not have to be the highest end - is that enough to describe?

I will turn it up loud when outdoors...but otherwise not too loud

It's been so long...wow....I had a JVC set of components, probably mid-range in price...a turntable, a CD player, receiver, decent speakers...it's been so long, I can't recall exactly.... I gave it all up when I moved about 15 years ago...sad that it's been that long.

It sounds to me that you would like a basic stereo receiver and a set of decent speakers. (I would suggest a subwoofer as well.) The new stereo AVR's (audio-video receivers) connect to your home network and can stream all the popular music services. You can also stream music from your phone to your stereo.

The AVR can do double duty by running your TV sound through it as well. Movies really come to life with a decent stereo setup with a subwoofer.

Do you have a budget?

Thanks for all the responses! I would be much more interested in curating my own playlists (I have fairly specific tastes)...so do I understand correctly that one can curate one's own playlist with these subscription services? presumably the platform catalogs are huge enough to cater to most anyone, even me lol.
I am not too interested in themed lists - i.e. "Golden Hits from the 80s!" LOL

Thanks!

Yes, you can create and save your own playlists with the pay services. They also all have phone apps. So you can take your music with you. We travel with a small blue tooth speaker and can access the music service and our saved playlists. Amazon Unlimited (and I suspect the others) also allow for downloads when you might not have wifi or cell service. As an example, while on a cruise in the middle of the ocean, I can access my downloaded songs, albums and playlists. I play them in the room over the blue tooth speaker or over my phone ear buds. Also, my Toyota Tacoma has Alexa. I can access all of my music in the car with voice commands.

ETA: Yes the catalogs are ridiculously big, 70M songs. We have tested for obscure stuff and can rarely stump it And, I think most services will let you do a short trial.

Last edited:
No one buys anything ;)

Join Spotify, you can create a playlist of almost anything. Old and new. Look into getting a small wireless bluetooth speaker you can sync easily to any phone.

Open playlist, turn on bluetooth, go about your day with background music.

I also have a Sirius subscription (you can get them for $6 a month), and that has a bazillion themed channels. Like you can listen to 80's early new wave all day, or all Bruce Springsteen channel, or all U2, all 90's grunge, Yacht Rock, and a lot of other flavors.

Agree with Aerides.....but as this is a FIRE site let me add a twist
1) Spotify is wonderful and you can and should buy the stock. It will likely return enough to pay for that monthly subscription. Many BUY ratings.
2) Amazon prime with music is also wonderful. Same thoughts on the stock. I've paid my subscrition many times over from the stock gains. Also rated a BUY.
3) apple .....same holds true here.
4) I listen to all this on Sono's. But......I'd buy the speakers and system but not the stock. Not as scaleable as 1 thru 3.

Media and music (streaming) seem to be with us until there is another idea. Hey, I just watched "The last Blockbuster" documentary. Makes you wonder what the next 10 years will bring. Its been a fun ride from records to tapes, to caset tapes, to disc, to streaming.

I listen to Apple Music and Pandora through my phone.

Bluetooth to my Denon PMA-600NE receiver/amp. I do still have a CD player hooked up.

I have some ELAC floor speakers and an ELAC Sub. Not high end audiophile equipment, but it creates a good sound to fill my room.

Bluetooth sounds good enough to my ears. I know Tidal has lossless, but I would need more $$ equipment.

Audio is a black hole, but you can get good results with a 2.1 system for not all that much. KEF Q150 + Sub is another good setup.

Lot of good information here. My two cents is that Pandora does a very good job of feeding you music you’ll like if you spend some time using the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons. Plus, it’s free and not bad at all with the commercials. Also, not too expensive if you do want to go commercial free.

I have XM and Amazon (pay 7.99 as a prime member) and I use Pandora. The thing I like about Amazon is that I can select an album. So, for the price per month, I look at it like my music library. I used to buy about one CD per month and Amazon Music is less than that and so much larger (enormous). I like Pandora because it feeds me music I like and throws me some new music/artists that I’ll often like. XM is only being bought right now because a got a very good pandemic deal and it works great in my car. When the deal is over, I won’t continue to buy XM.

My ignorance is showing.
All suggestions appreciated!
I don't have a proper review of all the services and devices, but I'm happy to share how I experience music now. People usually recomend what they've purchased. Same here...

Our CD player (5 disc) quit working a few years ago. So the CDs I have see little use. Most of those are ripped to MP3s and sit in an iTunes library on an ancient XP3 system. I will move that to something newer when I get a chance.

Son pays for a Spotify family plan, and that has become our go-to player. I can play from phones, tablets, and PCs. My office PC has a Logitech sound system with plenty watts output. I also purchased a JBL Charge 4 for bluetooth output from all of the mobile devices, and can easily place that within range of my phone wherever I go inside or out in the yard. Phone and JBL can travel with me too. The soundbar attached to TV has bluetooth also, and I can stream to that.

We also have two Google Home Mini's. I can ask those devices or my phone to play a playlist or album on Spotify. But that are smaller mono speakers, so can't really annoy the neighbors or rock out at volume 10.
:D

Back
Top Bottom