Looking For a New Start Page (Again)

I just use Google's search page. Since I actively try to avoid the infonewsads most of the pages mentioned above are not in consideration. And quite often when I pick up the laptop it's because I want to look something up. Works well for me.

My "start page" is an old school page of links I am interested in:

Anthony's Resource Links

I frequently add bookmarks to my web browser when I encounter pages that interest me. Periodically I'll sort through them, organizing the ones I want to keep to my links pages, and deleting the ones I don't want anymore. Obviously, my links page is aimed at my personal interests, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do something similar yourself (if you have any HTML experience).

As for reading news, I prefer to use my RSS newsreader for that (I use RSS Owl). I don't want news feeds getting in my way when I'm searching for something, researching a topic, etc.
Kinda off topic, but while looking at your site I came across your "Rabbit" history page...kudos to all the work you did to keep it running over the years! I had an 81 Rabbit when I first joined the AF. It cost me lunch at McD's (that's all my buddy wanted for it) and gave me two good years of reliable transportation.

Interesting.

I simply have a blank "start page". Since I leave my Mac turned on and safari is always running I don't often open a new window for browsing. If I open a new tab it's usually to go to a specific site which I either get to by clicking on the favorites bar or typing some text into the search bar.

Me too!

I ended up going with MSN. Found this less tiles-like than Yahoo news.

Hopefully, I'll be content with this at least for another year or so :popcorn:.

Time for me to do a switch again to a new start page.

I prefer to use a news page as my start page. The good news is looks like I can go home again.

USA Today online actually looks like a newspaper again instead of just tiles.

I decided to choose USA Today as my current news page.

Hopefully, this will last for some time.

I still use Google News. When I'm logged in with a certain identity, I can go to the For You section on left, and tailor what sources I see. Also can increase or decrease what comes from sources.

I do my news viewing and social media in a browser apart from normal Chrome and FireFox.

I've tried out so many start pages over the years but I've stuck with ighome.com

Look into www.ighome.com

It's very headline and text intensive.

It's customizable. You can add "gadgets" to it, which are basically RSS feeds. I've got Google News and Reuters News front and center. I've got a couple of financial gadgets that track stocks I own or are interested in.

You can have two columns, three columns, or four columns. It has tabs across the top for Gmail, YouTube, Maps, Calendar, etc.

I've found it does most of what I want from a start screen. It is a lot of text to look at, not much graphics, but you can really pack information onto your start screen.

Here's a screen grab of my home page.

ighome-page.jpg

If you look at the Google News gadget in the upper left hand corner, it has individual tabs for topics--Top Stories, World, National, Business, etc. which you can click on via the gadget. There is also a "More" button in the gadget that takes you to the familiar Google news home page.

Here is an old YouTube video on how to set up ighome:

https://youtu.be/49SdaoRSFJA

Last edited:
Time for me to do a switch again to a new start page.

I prefer to use a news page as my start page. The good news is looks like I can go home again.

USA Today online actually looks like a newspaper again instead of just tiles.

I decided to choose USA Today as my current news page.

Hopefully, this will last for some time.

I tried USA Today for a while but they have so much celebrity garbage and, honestly, fluffy non-news stuff that I bailed out on it.

I tried USA Today for a while but they have so much celebrity garbage and, honestly, fluffy non-news stuff that I bailed out on it.

I'm actually bailing out of MSN and going to USA Today because of too much fluff :).

Thanks for the ighome suggestion.

My goto newspage when I want fluff free is Reuters.

Last edited:
Trying to find out who ighome is...

Back
Top Bottom