Luke Perry dead at 52 years old.

Crazy. I am getting old. Always wanted to have a drink with Perry at the ole Peach Pit. One more reminder that although the sun will rise tomorrow, you may not. RIP Luke!

Just saw this and was reading some articles about it. Very sad.

Dying from a stroke in one's early 50s must be quite rare. Wondering if this was something other than an unlucky case of "natural causes".

Dying from a stroke in one's early 50s must be quite rare. Wondering if this was something other than an unlucky case of "natural causes".
Strokes can be terrible and yes, massive strokes certainly do happen to people in their 50s.

My oldest brother had a series of debilitating strokes in his 50's, which left him physically and mentally damaged and incapable. He has required nursing home care ever since. And no, I know for a fact that he never took drugs which I guess is what you are implying was the cause in Luke Perry's case. Which is not to say you are wrong! Just that it's not necessarily due to anything but lousy rotten luck.

He played a judge in the mini series Goodnight for Justice. Three to four western movies for tv that I thought were pretty good. Pretty young for a massive stroke.

I am thankful each day above ground.

I just heard the news on TV, although I had heard of his having a stroke yesterday. Dayum, it is becoming too common to hear about celebrities and athletes younger than me (55) passing away.

I was a pretty big original 90210 fan for much of that show's run (I stopped watching it in 1998). While I liked him as an actor, I always had some trouble seeing someone in his mid-20s playing a high school kid.

I did like Perry a lot more in his lone appearance in Law & Order: SVU about 11 years ago. At least he was playing an age-appropriate character.

RIP Luke Perry :(

It's always sad when the celebrities you grew up with start dropping like flies which in turn remind you of your own mortality.

A couple of articles had mentioned a few health issues... precancerous growths in his colon (removed), and back issues that required surgery. But a lot of natural underlying conditions that are easily unknown or ignored (e.g. HBP, arteriosclerosis) can cause them.

Strokes in the early 50s may not be so rare. I have seen articles in medical journals saying stroke rates are increasing for those under 55.

It is sad... 52 seemed like such an old age when I was 30. Now that I am 60, it seems so young. RIP.

Strokes can be terrible and yes, massive strokes certainly do happen to people in their 50s.

My oldest brother had a series of debilitating strokes in his 50's, which left him physically and mentally damaged and incapable. He has required nursing home care ever since. And no, I know for a fact that he never took drugs which I guess is what you are implying was the cause in Luke Perry's case. Which is not to say you are wrong! Just that it's not necessarily due to anything but lousy rotten luck.

I guess with all the drug/alcohol/suicide celebrity deaths we've heard about in recent years, it immediately made me wonder about Luke Perry, given his relatively young age. Clearly it could have been natural causes. I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so was just wondering out loud. I suppose very heavy smoking, coupled with a sedentary lifestyle and/or "bad" genes, could also lead to things like strokes in one's 50s.

From what I've read, his father died from a heart attack at 35. There might be some genetic factors involved. Either way, it's sad to hear of this and to think of the loss his relatively young children are experiencing.

It's always sad when the celebrities you grew up with start dropping like flies which in turn remind you of your own mortality.

Just watched a The Traveling Wilburys vid, and it occurred to me that I've (already) outlived three of them:

My dad had a massive stroke at 59. I had a client once that had a stroke at 35.

One of my grad school professors (less than 10 years older than me) had a brain-stem stroke back in his 40s...long rehab for that, not long after had to take retirement.

I guess with all the drug/alcohol/suicide celebrity deaths we've heard about in recent years, it immediately made me wonder about Luke Perry, given his relatively young age. Clearly it could have been natural causes. I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so was just wondering out loud. I suppose very heavy smoking, coupled with a sedentary lifestyle and/or "bad" genes, could also lead to things like strokes in one's 50s.
Famous BBC presenter, Andrew Marr, had a very serious stroke a few years back. He got it while on a rowing machine at the gym, putting in his best effort. Very fit guy up till then.

ATTN all posters of "...how do I get out of live below my means mode and spend a little bit of my huge savings..." etc.

We should periodically open a thread dedicated to the above topic.

RIP Perry.

Sad news. A stroke can happen at any age.

Ironically, I think the day he had the stroke there was a reboot or reunion of 90210 (he wasn't part of the reboot). I didn't watch that show but remember him on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer movie along with guest appearing on Criminal Minds.

Sorry he passed away as such an early age but I never heard of him. Never watched much TV.

A stroke is a terrible thing. My dad had one at age 52 . He recovered but never the same.. Passed away at my age now.

Perry's passing reminds me a little of the sudden and untimely passing of actor John Ritter back in 2003. Just a few days shy of his 55th birthday, he suffered an aortic dissection, mistakenly treated as a heart attack.

There are cases of brain bleeds caused by abnormal arteries that could have been there from birth. Of course, I don't know what his health status or smoking status was, but still, very sad to be gone so young.

Back
Top Bottom