UPS drivers making $170,000 a year?

Talking all over the place...

High pay for UPS driver is not because they lift heavy packages... there are a lot of jobs that lifting heavy stuff is normal and are not getting that level of salary and benefits.

The reason software engineers complain is that they have studied and have a job that requires knowledge that requires their brain... the UPS driver has not and does not (well, some but not like most white collar jobs)

I would even say that other blue collar jobs require more skill than a UPS driver... electrician, plumber, HVAC all require training that you do not pick up in a few days or weeks...

The reason UPS is paid so well is.... they are unionized... without being in a union I would bet their salary might be half of what it is...

When I was working for my mega corp in NYC the doorman at my building was making more money than I was... they were unionized...

It is the way of the world...

+1
C'mon, the postal service has been doing this stuff for decades. UPS comes along, gets union backing, now they 'whine' about salaries and benefits. Well, guess what, YOU, the receiver of the goods pay for it. Yes, even though you got 'free shipping'. I can't wait for smaller shipping companies to bring on the great capitalistic way, and do what's good for the end consumer. Lower prices. Peace.

I agree, the only special skills needed for a driver is to be able to maneuver the truck safely and use their diad board. That being said, there are many software engineers and probably most of the blue collar workers I see these days that couldn’t do the job. Not only is it physically demanding, but mentally as well. Shipping is all a numbers game. How many packages (deliveries) can be done in a day. They don’t come back to the building until they are done, so by no means is it a 9-5 job. They are tracked, so the company knows just how fast (or slow) they are going. They do get paid well, but trust me, most of them earn it. Most of them also burn out from the mental stress of the job before the physical part catches up.
I worked as a supervisor for almost 8 years.

Professional driving is like professional cooking. Everyone does it, so we lay people think we can do their job because we have enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Nope. Can't do either job.

My niece's husband is a semi driver. This guy has skills. He can back a trailer, any trailer, at a rate of speed that baffles me. He'll be accurate to the 1/2".

But he is getting burned out by the other stuff, like the numbers game, even though he has gone independent. Independents also get hosed by loaders who short them, etc.

I wish he would work for UPS, but alas, not my circus.

Back in the '90s UPS recruited at my college. Starting wage at UPS for degreed drivers was around mid 30s + good benefits.... very close to the salary offers new engineering grads (BS) were getting. $34k + benefits was very good money for a delivery driver back then. UPS has a history of paying drivers well and it seems to have served the company.

have you injured yourself on the job?
I have, and it is not what you think happens. You turn wrong, step down wrong one time out of the 70 trips in and out of the truck. Slip and fall on ice. Trip over most anything. Unless you have some years selling your body for money, don´t trivialize it.

+100

If anyone thinks they are over paid.

Go get an application. You'll be overpaid too.....if you can cut it.

Based just on a physical standpoint I would say the trucker job is far better. At least with UPS you are in your own bed every night but you may have to take 1000mg of Tylenol or a couple glasses of wine to get to sleep due to the chronic pain that will only get worse the longer you do the job.

Are physical standards so low these days that a delivery driver is considered a demanding job? It's short walks broken up by sitting.

It's easier than shingling roofs, hanging drywall, laying bricks, logging, and a dozen other jobs.

Our UPS driver earns every $ of it. He drives up a rough narrow mountain road to deliver packages to our front door. He always has treats for the dogs, and just seems happy no matter what the weather. We emailed UPS a kudos to his superiors; hopefully it helped. Fedex OTH... we towed them out 4 times from the edge of the road. And they won't do the extra and deliver to the house door. USPS won't come to the property at all. Amazon is 2nd best.

Back in the '90s UPS recruited at my college. Starting wage at UPS for degreed drivers was around mid 30s + good benefits.... very close to the salary offers new engineering grads (BS) were getting. $34k + benefits was very good money for a delivery driver back then. UPS has a history of paying drivers well and it seems to have served the company.

UPS hiring college graduates with a BA or BS? Did they prefer any major?

NW Bound - The two guys I knew who accepted offers were both non-technical, liberal arts 4 year at a well ranked U. UPS recruited them at our University's hiring roundtable (job fair). Not sure how many college grads UPS hires for driver roles today.

Professional driving is like professional cooking. Everyone does it, so we lay people think we can do their job because we have enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Nope. Can't do either job.

+1

I have a good friend who is a retired painter. Yes I can paint, but not at the speed and cleanliness of him. And when it comes to caulking and mudding drywall, it is amazing how much ground he can cover.

Back
Top Bottom