McD “Bacon Hour” 1/29 4pm

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I get the idea there are a few fans around here. I saw a news item announcing that McDonalds is having a “free bacon” hour on January 29 from 4-5 pm local time. Free bacon on your choice of menu item. Chocolate shake, anyone?

Ah. A bacon thread. Always popular. I have pancetta (Italian bacon) and hickory smoked USA bacon curing in the garage. (Yes, my DW is reconsidering our relationship status.)

Attachments

• Bacon.jpg
    Bacon.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 19
Ah. A bacon thread. Always popular. I have pancetta (Italian bacon) and hickory smoked USA bacon curing in the garage. (Yes, my DW is reconsidering our relationship status.)

First off... strange... but does it taste good? And how do you do it?

Second, doesn't the fumes etc. get into the meat that is in the garage?

OHHH, edit to add... I bet there is NO chance of getting there easily... I remember Ben & Jerry free ice cream.... took over an hour to get a dip of ice cream... not worth the trouble...

First off... strange... but does it taste good? And how do you do it?

Second, doesn't the fumes etc. get into the meat that is in the garage?

The pancetta recipe is from Michael Ruhlman's book, "Charcuterie". Here is an overview of the recipe. The bacon is wonderful and did not pick up any off flavors. We have not tried the pancetta yet. For the bacon, I used his pancetta recipe and did not role the pork belly in the Italian sytle. I also smoked it. The pancetta is not smoked.

ETA: Life got a lot better when the local Costco started stocking whole pork bellies. AKA bacon wannabe.

Last edited:
When I go to Mickey D's with my buddies none of them eat bacon I will get there bacon and have me a pig lovers dream sandwich.

We eat a lot of bacon but I quit buying it years ago. Pork bellies are cheap at Costco and I can make much better bacon than I can buy.

Any hungry critters hanging around your garage?

Back
Top Bottom