Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been playing Uno with my 4 year old...he caught on to the reverse, the block and the pick your color cards REALLY fast...like after seeing me use it and sort of snicker at him, he learned he could easily do it back which was awesome.

We also play a modified version of LIFE. Too young to quite grasp all the rules on that one. I like Klask and bring that up north on the big family retreats. Cribbage is something I recently got into and you can never loose with a good ole fashion card game.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2020, 01:45 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We love Rummikub and also enjoy Sequence, Yahtzee, Mexican Train and Mille Bornes. We haven’t gotten into the modern games, although Cards Against Humanity is fun with a group.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

I mostly lurk on these boards - but this thread is in my wheelhouse and I couldn't resist.

I have been playing board games since my childhood - with little letup. I currently own around 900 games.

One of my primary goals for retirement is to free up more time for board games! I play regularly with my wife and other close friends. There are many game groups in my area that meetup up in pubs, libraries, community centers, and game stores. I prefer the pubs!

I tend to play heavier games, but am willing to play just about anything. I enjoy the social interaction as much as the heavy thinking.

For those who may be interested, my favorite games include Through the Ages, Tichu, Carson City, London, Brass, Combat Commander, Marco Polo, Codenames, Castles of Burgundy, Great Western Trail, Taluva, and way too many more...

For those really interested... Wingspan, Everdell, Trismegistus, Railroad Ink, That's Pretty Clever, Taverns of Tiefenthal, and Barrage are among my favorite games from the past year or so. (The "Cult of the New" is a real phenomenon among many dedicate gamers.)

I am sure I've bored enough folks - so I'll move along now...

Jay
CCBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
Never heard of any of those newer ones, so I guess that lets me out.
Ditto
Shardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
I passed on the SJ Games pocket box kickstarter because I still have all the originals. But I did do Ogre Designers Edition, which has to be the biggest and heaviest game ever made. My name is on the box.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...very&term=OGRE

And this thread got me looking again for local groups. One listed Pandemic Fall of Rome as most played recently. I looked it up between sessions of Field of Glory: Empires and insta-ordered it the other night. Arrives tomorrow.
I still have the originals too, but the glue is powdering and the front and back covers have started falling off them.... :P Yeah, I was ~0.1% of the kickstarter funding for the Designer's Edition of Ogre. I have two copies still in shrink wrap in addition to the copy I opened and assembled. :P I had intended to run some big tournaments at the job I was at when the kickstarter ran (Gazillion Entertainment, we had lots of room for running games, and obviously a staff that was super into games) but by the time it arrived I was working at a tiny startup of mostly non-gamers... very sad. I've since realized my plan of giving one copy to my Dad makes no sense since they just don't have room for something that huge that he'd play with me once or twice every couple years when I visited out there...
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
Eclipse is a personal favorite of mine that never gets to the table. Most people don't want to play a 6 hour game.

Terraforming Mars (known in our house as Changing planets) is a game that's been played at least once a week since it came out.
Eclipse is really only an hour a player, so 3 player is a decent sweet spot, 4 if you want diplomatic relations, but yeah, it is definitely an "I'm organizing an Eclipse game get together" not "hey, want to play Eclipse today?".

TM has been my primary game at tuesday night game night for the last couple years. I'll play it over basically anything else. So much fun.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

I enjoy both Eclipse and TM.

I am looking forward to the new edition of Eclipse. I already have the large playmat - just need the Kickstarter to arrive. I am fortunate to have enough friends that have embraced my plat fast, play more motto that we are able to play epic games in a reasonable amount of time.

TM is a great game - but once again - fast players is important. I've been in some terribly long TM games due to some slow (if otherwise lovely) players.
CCBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:30 AM   #48
gone traveling

Most of the old (very old!) familiar boardgames are simple race games. Nowadays there is a whole language to describe the various "game mechanisms" such as Set Collection, Tiling, Take That!, Abstract, Push Your Luck, etc.
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been in six player games where everyone was out for themselves. We're not a co-op kinda group. Add a couple of AP players and you're playing for 9 hours (with a dinner break) till 4am. I liked it but was fragged the next day and didn't get out of my PJ's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
Eclipse is really only an hour a player, so 3 player is a decent sweet spot, 4 if you want diplomatic relations<<SNIP>>
Old 02-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #50

I got lucky enough to get invited 6 years ago to a 4-5 day board gaming event every year. Held at a 7 bedroom house in Northern MN and about 30 people attend.

Almost all of the games mentioned in this thread are too mainstream for this group. A lot of the games are found on kickstarter and a few of the members attend Gencon each year (80k gamers in Indy).

Games include names like Euphoria, Zombicide, Endeavor Age of Sail, Lost Island, Caverna and Coma Ward (and many, many more). There's usually a few rounds of D&D in there as well.

Pretty nerdy stuff but it's a really fun event with a great group that is very welcoming and quite open to teaching each new game beforehand.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I play Scrabble on my tablet now and then.

Sometimes I get Lena to play, and she's allowed to use Swedish or English words.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #52
gone traveling

What are your 2 person games for quarantine time?
Fields of Arle
All Creatures Big and Small
Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

Both of those are good. Here are some other favorites.

Targi (My top 2 player game.)
Twilight Struggle
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel
Code names: Duet
Star Realms
Baseball Highlights

Also if you like war games...

Combat Commander
Tank Duel
Talon
A Few Acres of Snow