Morning just reading the Forum and drinking coffee

Taxman59

Full time employment: Posting here.
My Dad and his brothers used to sing Big Rock Candy Mountain (and some other very inappropriate ditties!!). Every time I see the commercial with a clip of the song, or sometimes when "the sun shines every day on the birds and the bees" I smile and think of my Dad singing this song.

This has become my favorite verse of the song:

There ain't no short-handled shovels
No axes, saws nor picks
I'm goin' to stay
Where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk
That invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

I hope my kids have memories of me like this some day. . .

I have come to really love the early morning coffee sessions. I tend to sit out back and watch the deer while have their early morning corn treat and I reflect on life and how lucky I have been. Not really mediation per se, but just introspection. Sure beats the hell out of commuting to w*rk! Funny in that I used to HATE mornings, but now it is the best part of the day for me.

Yes, I agree. I so enjoy my morning coffee, reading this forum, sitting on the deck if the weather co-operates. Nice way to start the day. Then off to garden, go for a walk or whatever I desire for the rest of the day.

Putin has ruined my morning routine, which used to be like the OP describes. Now I open the news pages with trepidation and the terrible things I read stay in my head. Sorry if that comment qualifies as political, but that's how it is for me.

I like that verse too, OP.
I always enjoyed seeing the sun come up on my way to work or after I got there, or even after an overnight shift. Now I look forward to getting up when *I* want to, to watch a sunrise or stay up for a comet or the space station or meteor shower.
I took these whenever I could at work:
Sunrise on the Seattle waterfront, setting form panels. Our lightbulb Mount Rainier in the background.
IMG-20190318-072554.jpg

The other end of the waterfront, stadiums between the cranes.
IMG-20190831-061539.jpg

Morning in the Hylebos waterway, a little closer to the mountain.
IMG-20190923-065035.jpg

Waiting for the last ferry run at Anacortes, so we could replace the ramp hoists.
IMG_20190910_193251.jpg

Last edited:
Putin has ruined my morning routine, which used to be like the OP describes. Now I open the news pages with trepidation and the terrible things I read stay in my head. Sorry if that comment qualifies as political, but that's how it is for me.

The sad state of affairs is not political. I am troubled too.

My Dad and his brothers used to sing Big Rock Candy Mountain (and some other very inappropriate ditties!!). Every time I see the commercial with a clip of the song, or sometimes when "the sun shines every day on the birds and the bees" I smile and think of my Dad singing this song.

This has become my favorite verse of the song:

There ain't no short-handled shovels
No axes, saws nor picks
I'm goin' to stay
Where you sleep all day
Where they hung the jerk
That invented work
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

I hope my kids have memories of me like this some day. . .

Big Rock Candy Mountain is an innapropriate song? :confused:

I cannot believe that retired people need to have morning coffee. I get up at 12 and directly have my lunch.

I used to drive down Nebraska Ave. in DC to get to my job for a few years in the late 80’s. I would pass a house where, in nice weather, there was always a guy sitting on a chair out front, drinking a cup of coffee and reading what I assumed was the Washington Post. I used to think, “someday that will be me”. Well, it’s Massachusetts, not DC, and the Boston Globe is the paper. But the coffee is still good and it finally is me!

I prefer to be active early in the morning. My favorite mornings are when I can start playing golf just before sunrise. Walking the course, which has great views, as the sun comes up is incredibly refreshing, regardless of how I am playing :D.

Love that song. I think its the opening of "Oh Brother Where art Thou?" when they're running to catch the train in their chains. Good stuff>

Coffee and this forum are part of my routine most mornings. This morning I have a sunrise straight to the east out my window and a full moon still up on the west horizon. Geese honking and frost on the grass. Beautiful day.

The news troubles me too, but an hour or so of peace and quiet in the AM is good for my health.

Big Rock Candy Mountain is an innapropriate song? :confused:
Not Big Rock Candy Mountain, but some of his others - "Passengers will please refrain from passing water while the train is in the station, Darling I love you" and down from there!

As a human being I feel like I need to be aware of what's happening in the world. Like you, I am terribly disturbed by what is being done. So I look at a little of it and move on. That certainly doesn't change anything for all those people but it keeps me from being overwhelmed by it.

There are times when I've been a real news junkie about some events but what's going on now can reduce me to tears.

I'm one of those people who wakes up happy and looks forward to the day ahead. At bed time I often reflect on the good stuff from the day. I don't forget about the horrible things in the world, I just prefer to let my optimism shield me from letting it intrude too far.

This morning I was awakened at 525 by the Beast Who Must Be Served ( BWMBS ), and put on a pot of coffee and fed and medded her and the boy dog.
I crawled back in bed and DW could no longer stay there, due to neck/back troubles. DW called from the living room 'what was I doing?' and I replied, laying here waiting for the pot to flurgle.
It is a term I coined, the noise our drip maker does when finishing up brewing.
It flurgled almost as she was inquiring. :)

Back
Top Bottom