Need a new computer chair..

I swear by Bodybilt chairs. Thigh and back support is excellent with these chairs, and they last a long time. My 300lb+ friend has been using one for over 15 years and it's still going strong. The last chair I bought for DW ran around $550. If you have a Bodybilt dealer near you, they usually bring over a demo chair and let you use it for a set period of time to make sure you are comfortable with it. They even sell demo chairs at a considerable discount.

https://www.bodybilt.com

I got mine at Costco, and have had it for about 10 years. It looks very much like the picture DaveBarnes posted. It's not a Herman Miller, and I didn't pay that much for it either. If you don't like it, they take everything back.

I like it because the arms can be raised and tucked away., making it look like a secretarial chair, which is sometimes what I need.

Staples sells crap office chairs.
If you think a $200 chair is equal to a $800 chair, you are delusional.
Crap.

I'm looking for a good value and I value all opinions....price doesn't necessary equal value....I'm not going to order an 800 dollar chair that I haven't been able to test drive.

Well our recommendations are pretty useless not knowing what you will be able to test drive.

This is an item where you definitely get what you pay for. When I bought my first $1,000 Steelcase, it was the most expensive piece of furniture I had bought in my young life, but I was working from home and in it for 9 hours a day. To me, that was great value. If you're only in front of your computer for 30 minutes a day, it would probably be overkill.

You might try and look for a company near you that sells used office furniture to businesses (this is big business) as they will have very high end chairs for less than half of retail. They might need a good cleaning. This is where I picked up a 2nd Steelcase chair for my wife for $600 less than retail/new.

Well our recommendations are pretty useless not knowing what you will be able to test drive.

This is an item where you definitely get what you pay for. When I bought my first $1,000 Steelcase, it was the most expensive piece of furniture I had bought in my young life, but I was working from home and in it for 9 hours a day. To me, that was great value. If you're only in front of your computer for 30 minutes a day, it would probably be overkill.

You might try and look for a company near you that sells used office furniture to businesses (this is big business) as they will have very high end chairs for less than half of retail. They might need a good cleaning. This is where I picked up a 2nd Steelcase chair for my wife for $600 less than retail/new.

Tell me about it, you know we do have a nice furniture store in town, I might just drop by and see if they carry any of the more upscale chairs....we don't have an independent office supply store but we have a town of 75K 70 miles away that might have one. My DH and I share the computer and finding one we both like might be a problem. Suddenly the shedding of the old chair doesn't seem so terrible...eventually the faux vinyl will all fall off:dance:

I'm looking for a good value and I value all opinions....price doesn't necessary equal value....I'm not going to order an 800 dollar chair that I haven't been able to test drive.
I am going to Staples and will sit in a posturepedic in your honor.
[emoji12]

Aeron
I got 24 years out of the first one.
Now on 7th year of #2.
https://store.hermanmiller.com/office/office-chairs/aeron-chair/2195348.html
220px-Aeron_chair_JN.jpg
+1. Aeron, end of thread. I bought mine for my office at Megacorp with my own $ and it was one of the only things I brought home when I retired. Cost me about $600 IIRC, worth every penny. It’s probably 15-20 years old now, and it is still in perfect condition other than a little dust. I still use it every day, and I’ll never have to buy another office chair. One if the best furniture purchases I’ve ever made!

I have spent 8+ hours per day sitting in my Aeron chairs during last 26 years.
My first chair cost me 5 cents per hour.

Now that is a good value...

+1. Aeron, end of thread. I bought mine for my office at Megacorp with my own $ and it was one of the only things I brought home when I retired. Cost me about $600 IIRC, worth every penny. It’s probably 15-20 years old now, and it is still in perfect condition other than a little dust. I still use it every day, and I’ll never have to buy another office chair. One if the best furniture purchases I’ve ever made!

It certainly looks like it won't shed all over the floor.

NOT an Aeron fan

Based on a thread here long ago and feedback from satisfied users, I bought an Aeron chair about 8 years ago. I despise it!

Due to the mesh, it's cold to sit in and most of all, due to the design of the seat pan, it's very uncomfortable.

I can spend hours sitting at my computer desk so a comfortable chair is a necessity.

The Aeron seat pan is shaped like an arc, and my 'seated bottom' apparently is not. It's hard to explain, but after sitting in it for a while the outer portion of my buttocks/hips feel like they are being supported along their outsides and the middle of my pelvis/crotch feels like it is somehow dropped/drooping from lack of support. Over time, this is very uncomfortable and makes me wonder if it might be capable of causing some permanent bone misalignment or damage. I've never experienced this with any other chair.

So I now sit on a $50 cheapo upholstered desk chair which is not optimum, but light-years better than the Aeron.

The Aeron has been pushed off to the side, waiting for me to figure out how best to get rid of it. :(

omni

Based on a thread here long ago and feedback from satisfied users, I bought an Aeron chair about 8 years ago. I despise it!

Due to the mesh, it's cold to sit in and most of all, due to the design of the seat pan, it's very uncomfortable.
Wow, sorry you’ve had a bad experience, first I’ve heard of though I’m sure your not alone. You should be able to sell your Aeron, though you’ll lose some $.

I’ve sat on my Aeron for hours over years and never been uncomfortable. I’m having trouble understanding your description and what’s gone wrong for your case since the mesh should conform to most body shapes/types. Not to argue (really), but I wonder if you got the wrong size, there are three sizes - mine is the largest.

And one purpose of the mesh back and bottom is to prevent the occupant to get too warm or cold. Mine always feels room temperature, and it doesn’t get too warm like many chairs do. The mesh is a plus to me, and surprisingly durable - I thought it would stretch out of shape over the long run but mine hasn’t after more than 15 years! They’re expensive but built to last indefinitely.

Last edited:
Do you remember where you bought this horrible chair. I seldom sit in front of my computer for more then an hour or two at a time..so comfortable is good,

It was either Office Max or Staples or Office Depot...can't remember, but I know it was on sale. I bought it in 2015 before starting law school. I have spent A LOT of time in it reading some "oh so exciting" (hint the sarcasm) case law....and it's still in excellent condition. There seems to be quite a bit of hate on the office places, I haven't had any issues. It is very similar to this one:

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/304574/Serta-Smart-Layers-Jennings-Super-Task/

There seems to be quite a bit of hate on the office places, I haven't had any issues.

Same experience here. The one we use (although I use it most) I bought at Staples ~25 years ago for ~$50 and it works fine, although it needs a grease job again for the squeaks.

Wow, sorry you’ve had a bad experience, first I’ve heard of though I’m sure your not alone. You should be able to sell your Aeron, though you’ll lose some $.

I’ve sat on my Aeron for hours over years and never been uncomfortable. I’m having trouble understanding your description and what’s gone wrong for your case since the mesh should conform to most body shapes/types. Not to argue (really), but I wonder if you got the wrong size, there are three sizes - mine is the largest.

And one purpose of the mesh back and bottom is to prevent the occupant to get too warm or cold. Mine always feels room temperature, and it doesn’t get too warm like many chairs do. The mesh is a plus to me, and surprisingly durable - I thought it would stretch out of shape over the long run but mine hasn’t after more than 15 years! They’re expensive but built to last indefinitely.

Mine is size B, and I fit squarely within the ht & wt guidelines. And I'm of a pretty standard size and shape, not overly bottom-heavy or anything. I was very perplexed at the discomfort I was experiencing.

My chair even has a couple upgrades...fully adjustable arms, and a Y-shaped back support.

And as to the mesh, I can't say I've ever had a situation where a standard office chair has felt hot. And since moving back to an upholstered office chair, I much prefer upholstery to mesh.

I could probably overcome the "coolth" of the mesh by making a slip cover for it. But that would certainly detract from the aesthetics. However, there's no easy way I can figure out how to make the seat pan conform comfortably to my derriere.

Ah, well. Can't please everyone.

I will admit that I was a bit disappointed that this highly-touted chair was not a good match for me.

omni

Last edited:
I agree that the cost benefit comes down to how long you tend to sit in the chair. If I was still working, or more importantly, working from home and in the chair a lot, cost, to a point, would not be an issue. It would be important to get the best fit possible.

As for the Aeron, I had one at work and had them replace it with an upholstered chair. It may be comfortable for some, but all that air flow, was actually cold and uncomfortable for me. I did get a chair with very good support and great adjustability and once I got it dialed in, it served me well.

At home, I'm not in my computer chair that much. I got a nice high back Samsonite on sale several years ago and it has been more than adequate. I think I paid $200 for it. It was probably half off.

Totally agree with the need to sit in a chair to evaluate it if I'm going to spend a lot of money on it and even more if I'm planning on spending a lot of time in it. I hate to use them this way, but if I was a great distance from a good store, I would go the Costco route. I think your chances are pretty good of getting a good product and at low risk if it just doesn't fit.

I hate to use them this way, but if I was a great distance from a good store, I would go the Costco route. I think your chances are pretty good of getting a good product and at low risk if it just doesn't fit.

Hmm? What is wrong with buying a chair from Costco? Not sure what the issue is....

I went to a local Staples and sat in a few chairs. The one I was interested in was:
Tempur-Pedic Ergonomic Mesh Mid-Back Office Chair, Black (TP9000)
I saw that after reading this thread.
On sale for $199, I need two chairs for my 6' trestle desk, so cost is a factor.
The adjustable arms on most chairs were not satisfactory, being loose, noisy, etc.
Another chair I'm familiar with is Tempur-Pedic TP 6400. This has a higher back, not mesh. That one is comfortable. This is $199 also.
I don't necessarily have to replace my two desk chairs, but will need to spend about $500 per chair, I suppose, and look very carefully. I won't buy something I can't sit in and try out.

I will admit that I was a bit disappointed that this highly-touted chair was not a good match for me.

Chairs are like clothes: you have to try them on to see if they fit you.

I will say that when I had a size B it was too small for my big-boned butt and it hurt to sit in for five minutes, much less all day. When Megacorp finally agreed to order me a size C it made all the difference in the world. The bean counters treated them like they were one-size-fits-all.

But, as I say, you have to find one that you like, not what others say you should like.

Hmm? What is wrong with buying a chair from Costco? Not sure what the issue is....

Nothing. I meant that I don’t like to use them with the expectation that it’s likely I’ll return something. Basically saying I don’t like to take advantage of their generous return policy.

Aeron chair. Had one at megacorp. Bought one for my home office in 2005. Still performing like new. Tremendous adjustability.

So I bought a new computer chair today. I bought the Realspace Treswell which was on sale for $120. I think it is a new model as all the reviews (6 of them) are within the last 2 to 3 weeks.

It was amazingly comfortable. We went to both Staples and Office Depot. I am under no illusion that this chair will last for many years. But, I tend to wear out the material on the chair before the chair itself goes bad. Part of it is that I have cats. On my last nicer chair they didn't scratch the leather but their claws would pierce the material when they jumped on it (some sort of fake leather thing I guess). The chair was comfortable but awful looking.

I prefer to buy a more disposable chair that when it starts looking bad I don't mind replacing it.

DH thought about getting a new chair but didn't. He liked the La-Z-Boy chairs at Staples and loved the Serta iComfort i5000 at Office Depot. I liked it also but it was more than I wanted to spend.

So I bought a new computer chair today. I bought the Realspace Treswell which was on sale for $120. I think it is a new model as all the reviews (6 of them) are within the last 2 to 3 weeks.

It was amazingly comfortable. We went to both Staples and Office Depot. I am under no illusion that this chair will last for many years. But, I tend to wear out the material on the chair before the chair itself goes bad. Part of it is that I have cats. On my last nicer chair they didn't scratch the leather but their claws would pierce the material when they jumped on it (some sort of fake leather thing I guess). The chair was comfortable but awful looking.

I prefer to buy a more disposable chair that when it starts looking bad I don't mind replacing it.

DH thought about getting a new chair but didn't. He liked the La-Z-Boy chairs at Staples and loved the Serta iComfort i5000 at Office Depot. I liked it also but it was more than I wanted to spend.

Great! I am glad you found a chair that is just right for you, and won't cost too much to replace if it gets damaged by the cats. I was curious so I just had to look for it online, and I think this is the link to it, here. It looks comfortable!

Thanks!!

Kats, nice looking chair! We need one and for that price, I may go over tomorrow and give it a try.

Kats, nice looking chair! We need one and for that price, I may go over tomorrow and give it a try.

Thinking the same thing. Already checked and local stores have it in stock.

Back
Top Bottom