New favorite map site

calmloki

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Wikimapia.org

Very cool and a bit scary as it knows pretty much where you are and starts the map there. Really like it as it has terrain/Google satellite/Panoramio (individual's photos of the area you are looking at)/street view - aned it's fast and responsive to scroll wheel and shows counties and just all kinds of fun stuff!

Heh, clicked om travel maps. Wanted cellphone Number. Forget it, I'm not publishing my cell number.

How do you get it to label street names?

Wikimapia.org

Very cool and a bit scary as it knows pretty much where you are and starts the map there. Really like it as it has terrain/Google satellite/Panoramio (individual's photos of the area you are looking at)/street view - aned it's fast and responsive to scroll wheel and shows counties and just all kinds of fun stuff!

Thanks! I like it.

Great find, thanks for sharing.
Wikimapia.org

It thinks that I am north of Houston. I was lost for a moment. Cool though.

I don't see much difference in this than Google Maps, which has been around about 5 years now.

I think it bases your location off of IP address. Mine is off about 10 miles in another state, which coincides with my IP, not my street address.

It started me in Palm Springs, maybe 2000 miles west of me? But still cool.

Wikimapia.org

It put me near the Salton Sea, actually at Borrego Springs, California, a little over 1500 miles from here.

Hmm! So maybe no need to be TOO scared by how closely it tracks your position...

the link pasted above has parameters pre-set after wikimapia.org - clear those out and the site will try to determine where you at.

I don't see much difference in this than Google Maps, which has been around about 5 years now.

Seems that way to me too - what's to like here?

I can say what I didn't like - it doesn't take a zip code. I often use that as a shorthand way to get to a general area, the zoom in from there.

Google maps searches on your terms, and suggests corrections/alternatives:

Googlemaps:

bston, mass

Did you mean:
Boston, Suffolk, Mass

wikimaps:

bston, mass

Your search bston, mass did not match any places. Make sure you typed correctly. Try different geographic names or keywords.
If you are sure this object exists - help us by...

and Googlemaps allows:

pizza near 01776

while wikimaps gives the :confused: message.

Why use wikimaps?

-ERD50

Great site - thanks for the link. It provides a quick visual way to see city limits as well as vanity names within larger cities. I'm not aware the google has this feature. For those of us with varying local sales tax rates you can use it to make shopping decisions to shave a few bucks off some purchases if you are near city/county borders.

It put me near the Salton Sea, actually at Borrego Springs, California, a little over 1500 miles from here.

Hmm! So maybe no need to be TOO scared by how closely it tracks your position...

Put me in Salton Sea too from Ontario Canada? We are safe. Here is the one I use but it is only good for locations in my area nut has really good detail.

http://navigator.yourniagara.ca/navigator/#

Yeah, you folks are all at Calmloki's house. :)

Just so. Copied the link in my URL to be sure I hadn't misspelled it. La Quinta Cove here, and as NPHX notes, the URL brought my location with it.

Just so. Copied the link in my URL to be sure I hadn't misspelled it. La Quinta Cove here, and as NPHX notes, the URL brought my location with it.
Seeing your location above the Salton Sea remined me of many fun outings down there. Many interesting shore birds there, and compared to LA at least a very laid back easy pace. That is where I first learned what is truly meant by "a dry heat". :)

They still have roadside stands for Date Shakes?

Ha

the link pasted above has parameters pre-set after wikimapia.org - clear those out and the site will try to determine where you at.

Ah! You're right. It did determine where I am. Even though its corrected determination was over a mile away, it is still pretty cool that the approximation was that close. :)

Back
Top Bottom