NFL: 2014 Season

Okay, now that you admitted that your post was largely based on jealousy, I am less offended. ;)

Seriously, I've tried very hard not to come across as an insufferable homer. But when you team is THIS good (after an eternity of mediocrity) it IS difficult.

My picks are Pats (though I think the Ravens will play them tough as they usually do), Seahawks (in a romp), Broncos and Packers. I predict that the last two will be tight games.

Of possible upsets, I think Indy upsetting Denver is most likely but as a Pats fan, Baltimore makes me uneasy.... I would have rather played Indy.

I had it close to right except I thought the Seahawks would win bigger than they did and I thought Denver would prevail but an Indy upset was quite possible. And I guess I get my wish to play Indy, so we'll see. I really like Andrew Luck and the Colts organization but will of course be rooting for the Pats.

While I understand the call in the Cowboys game, it seems to me that stretching for the goal line is arguably a football move. A close call indeed, and he would have been much better just going out of bounds and not trying to score. Rogers better get some miracle therapy in the next week for the Packers to have a prayer.

I think the call on the punt reception in the Indy game was the right call. It looked to me like the receiver had possession and control holding the ball against his stomach until he hit the ground at which point the ball came loose. Whether he was conscious when he hit the ground is a separate question. :D

I've always been a Manning fan but maybe it's time for him to quit tossing passes on the football field and stick to tossing pizza's at his Papa John Pizza franchises.

We may have just seen him in his last pro game... Then again, maybe not;)

I don't understand why people are saying Manning is done. He was one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL this year. He may be slipping but more than half the teams in the league would love to have him take the place of whoever they have now.

I don't understand why people are saying Manning is done. He was one of the 5 best QBs in the NFL this year. He may be slipping but more than half the teams in the league would love to have him take the place of whoever they have now.
If greatness wants to stick around until they are mediocrities, that's up to them, but I think I'd rather be remembered as an all-time great, as a winner, as one of the best of the best. That said, it's not like I can relate to his situation personally.

Let's see, caught the ball, transferred it to left hand, lunged for the goal line. That's not a "football move"?

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I had it close to right except I thought the Seahawks would win bigger than they did and I thought Denver would prevail but an Indy upset was quite possible. And I guess I get my wish to play Indy, so we'll see. I really like Andrew Luck and the Colts organization but will of course be rooting for the Pats.

While I understand the call in the Cowboys game, it seems to me that stretching for the goal line is arguably a football move. A close call indeed, and he would have been much better just going out of bounds and not trying to score. Rogers better get some miracle therapy in the next week for the Packers to have a prayer.

I think the call on the punt reception in the Indy game was the right call. It looked to me like the receiver had possession and control holding the ball against his stomach until he hit the ground at which point the ball came loose. Whether he was conscious when he hit the ground is a separate question. :D

While watching the Colts/Broncos game, Mike Carey (CBS' version of Mike Pereira) said, the initial ruling of loose ball should have stood as the returner who got clobbered didn't have possession, because, you guessed it "he didn't make a football move" :LOL:.

Josh Cribbs Got Jacked While Catching a Punt, Ruled Not a Fumble | The Big Lead

Last edited:
Let's see, caught the ball, transferred it to left hand, lunged for the goal line. That's not a "football move"?

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

My thought exactly.

It didn't look to me at all like he was lunging for the goal line. He never had his feet under him and never had his body under control. I would say his momentum carried him towards the goal line as he fell.

The rule about having to make a football move has been in effect since 2000. I'm surprised that it surprises everyone. Don't you remember Calvin Johnson in the end zone a few years ago?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-loses-touchdown-when-ball-hits-the-ground/

Last edited:
Taking it one step further. Of course, one can't say for sure, but I bet if Dez had hit the goal line when the ball hit the ground, the ruling would have been TD as the ball crossed the plane. No matter how many replays and calls upheld or over ruled, there still is the subjective element, which makes the game fun to watch.

Taking it one step further. Of course, one can't say for sure, but I bet if Dez had hit the goal line when the ball hit the ground, the ruling would have been TD as the ball crossed the plane. No matter how many replays and calls upheld or over ruled, there still is the subjective element, which makes the game fun to watch.

I wondered about that too because of a runner fumbles or loses control of the ball after crossing the plane it doesn't affect the touchdown, but I think the ruling would have been the same even if he crossed the plane because he would have to make a catch and then cross the plane and as they judged it, he didn't make a catch.

It was clear that the ball did not cross the plane (by about an inch or so) but I don't think it would have made a difference in the call. The only difference would have been the ire of Dallas fans and Packer foes.

Yeah, I heard what Mike Carey said, I just think he is wrong (as did the refs on the field).

The refs overruled the call on the field of possession to the Broncos. I thought obviously, Cribbs didn't have possession in this case.

I actually agree more with saying the Bryant play was a no catch than the Cribbs play as him having possession.

Last edited:
Unless you're a Cowboy fan I don't see how you say Bryant made a football move. He never had his feet under him.

The fumble by the punt returner in the Denver/Indy game was a horrible call. That guy couldn't tell you what state he was in let alone make a football move. I have no idea how he was ruled to have possession.

My problem is that they seemed to be using the same 'rule' for both of these plays and the rulings were the exact opposite...

Bryant took a few steps before hitting the ground while he appeared to reach for the goal line... hit the ground and lost control of the ball.... so no possession....

The punt returner caught the ball and was hit hard... he was out cold before he hit the ground.... when he hit the ground he lost the ball... but, he had possession and was down by contact... (I saw NO football move here... not even one step)....

I do not see how the NFL can square these two calls when you compare them against each other..... and both were reversed on replay....

Hey.... just ran across this on Yahoo.... says the same thing I did (I had not read this before posting)...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...wo-completely-opposite-rulings-011551652.html

Last edited:
With regards to the refereeing...

Watching an NFL game now... is similar to watching the Olympics.

It didn't look to me at all like he was lunging for the goal line. He never had his feet under him and never had his body under control. I would say his momentum carried him towards the goal line as he fell.

The rule about having to make a football move has been in effect since 2000. I'm surprised that it surprises everyone. Don't you remember Calvin Johnson in the end zone a few years ago?
Calvin Johnson loses touchdown when ball hits the ground | ProFootballTalk

Tweet from the Detroit Lions Twitter account - "Sorry @dallascowboys. We know the feeling:"

My problem is that they seemed to be using the same 'rule' for both of these plays and the rulings were the exact opposite...

Bryant took a few steps before hitting the ground while he appeared to reach for the goal line... hit the ground and lost control of the ball.... so no possession....

The punt returner caught the ball and was hit hard... he was out cold before he hit the ground.... when he hit the ground he lost the ball... but, he had possession and was down by contact... (I saw NO football move here... not even one step)....

I do not see how the NFL can square these two calls when you compare them against each other..... and both were reversed on replay....

Hey.... just ran across this on Yahoo.... says the same thing I did (I had not read this before posting)...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...wo-completely-opposite-rulings-011551652.html

+1 :cool:

The refs overruled the call on the field of possession to the Broncos. I thought obviously, Cribbs didn't have possession in this case.

I actually agree more with saying the Bryant play was a no catch than the Cribbs play as him having possession.

I guess I was not clear when I said refs on the field. Where I said the refs on the field, I meant after they reviewed the video replay, where they judged that he had possession and that the ground caused the fumble. That looked like the right call to me as the receiver had the ball held tight to his stomach until he hit the ground, at which point the ball came loose.

Sometimes the ground can cause a fumble, sometimes it can't. Doesn't make any sense to me. Wonder if they will reconsider the rule(s) for the future?

"Breaking the plane" also doesn't seem to make sense as it doesn't apply anywhere else on the field. But that's another matter.

Detroit was a bad call per NFL admission, Dallas was a bad rule?

The ground actually CAN cause a fumble. If you are running down the field and trip and fall all on your own its a fumble if you lose the ball when you hit the ground. If you are knocked to the ground and lose the ball when you fall its not a fumble because you are down in the instant that you touch the ground. You are down before the ball comes loose.

When you're running with the ball you already have possession of it. If you are trying to catch a pass, its different. You cant fumble it until you have officially caught it and taken possession of it. That's why the Bryant catch was incomplete. He was never officially in possession of it until you completed the process of the catch which he didn't do. If he had crossed the plane of the end zone it would've made no difference because he wasn't in possession of the ball when he did it.

Whether or not the rule sucks is a whole different question. I used to think it sucked but now I think I agree with it. When you are diving out of bounds or falling when you catch the ball I really think you should have to hold onto it after you hit the ground to make it a catch. Now in this Calvin Johnson Video, it looks to me like he still had the ball when he hit the ground and dropped it as he was starting to stand up but they still ruled it incomplete.

Packers at Seattle, Colts at New England - sounds like two good games. Hope so.

Ill take Indy over NE in the AFC

I'll stick with my original prediction from a while ago that GB takes the NFC so GB over Seattle, although if Rodgers' calf doesn't heel quite a bit this week it could be ugly.

Did you watch the game? He can't throw a ball beyond 10 yards with any accuracy. He started the year well but his arm strength declined as the season progressed. Now this may be related to a recent injury or something physical but I doubt it.

I think he should retire and be remembered as the great QB that he is rather than the mediocre QB that he would become.

NE vs Seattle in the SB.

Seattle beat Green bay by 20 the first game of the season with a healthy Rodgers.

NE beat Indy by 22 points with Jonas Gray running for 200 yards and he has been inactive since....

Back
Top Bottom