NFL: 2014 Season

It seems to me that John Harbaugh was the one whining about plays that the league confirmed were perfectly legal. He just got out coached by BB....

And hopefully Tom will be preparing for his 6th trip to the SB.

I agree, I couldn't possibly understand what was shady about those plays. Gadget/trick plays, flea flickers, whatever gets the win. I only get mad when I see late/dirty hits. These guys get damaged enough from the legal stuff. Signed, crying Broncos fan.

Harbaugh's complaint wasn't with the Patriots, it was with the officiating. The rules are complicated and not worth describing but it has to do with covered and uncovered lineman and uniform numbers. The defense has the right to substitution based on the offense. Officials were declaring the changes to defense but in Harbaughs estimation not given them time to adjust the personal for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harbaugh's complaint wasn't with the Patriots, it was with the officiating. The rules are complicated and not worth describing but it has to do with covered and uncovered lineman and uniform numbers. The defense has the right to substitution based on the offense. Officials were declaring the changes to defense but in Harbaughs estimation not given them time to adjust the personal for it.

Good info, I was referring to MRGs complaint of Tom and Bill B. being unsportsmanlike, I just didn't see what they did wrong. Just seemed like crafty play.

Good info, I was referring to MRGs complaint of Tom and Bill B. being unsportsmanlike, I just didn't see what they did wrong. Just seemed like crafty play.

Mulligan you are correct, the rule is complex and JH didn't think the refs were giving them the time to react.

laurence I never said unsportsmanlike. I said sportmanship. I also said they were legal plays.

I was just giving my reasons why an AFC fan is choosing anybody but NE. It's just an opinion, didn't know I'd have to justify it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Mulligan you are correct, the rule is complex and JH didn't think the refs were giving them the time to react.

According the rules, they don't have to. Belichick is legendary for this sort of thing, finding any legal (some would also say illegal as well) loophole or unintended consequence of the rules to gain an advantage. (He certainly is within the rules to do this, but I do think it's one of the reasons why almost everyone who isn't a Pats fan despises them.)

In this case I don't think it's "sporting" to quietly make these reporting of normally ineligibles being eligible, and vice versa, without giving the defense time to make adjustments or substitutions in response. That said, it *is* legal and if the league has a problem with that, the Competition Committee would have to look at changing the dynamics of this sort of thing. (For example, when an offense does this, the official can delay marking the ball ready for play for [say] 5-10 seconds to allow defenses to react and adjust. But right now the rules do not require it.)

But absent that, it was all legal. It's a classic example of Belichick pushing the envelope, testing the boundaries of what is legal, and not caring about sportsmanship -- but he is paid to win, not to make friends.

To me, Brady's post-game comments and dig about "they need to study the rulebook" was unnecessary, and IMO he should have kept the moral high ground by refusing to comment if that was the only rejoinder he could come up with at the time.

Last edited:

His whining was directed against the Patriots by calling it a "deception" and was saying that Brady was rushing to the line to snap the ball as a form of that deception. Brady's comment at the press conference about studying the rule book was in response to Harbaugh's comment.

The Ineligible/eligible plays were called three times and from the time the ref. announced it until the ball was snapped there were 7, 10 and 9 seconds. Harbaugh should have been ready and when wasn't he should have called a timeout to align his defense appropriately.

Last edited:
You can make all the excuses for N.E. that you want to, but as Ziggy said, just about everyone who isn't a Pats fan, despises them. There's a reason for it.

Belichick stretches every rules as far as possible and doesn't care if other people find his tactics deceptive or not. He doesn't care about the spirit of the game. He has even been caught blatantly cheating at least once. Brady is (was) a great QB but he's the biggest baby in the NFL. He cries any time anyone touches him and he constantly gets roughing the passer calls that other QB's don't get.

You can make all the excuses for N.E. that you want to, but as Ziggy said, just about everyone who isn't a Pats fan, despises them. There's a reason for it.

Belichick stretches every rules as far as possible and doesn't care if other people find his tactics deceptive or not. He doesn't care about the spirit of the game. He has even been caught blatantly cheating at least once. Brady is (was) a great QB but he's the biggest baby in the NFL. He cries any time anyone touches him and he constantly gets roughing the passer calls that other QB's don't get.

The name of the game is to win within the rules that's what he gets paid to do. Brady and Belichick are the most successful Coach/QB in the last 15 years. There are no other coach or QB I would rather have.

Like them or not.....First ballot Hall of Famers

Last edited:
His whining was directed against the Patriots by calling it a "deception" and was saying that Brady was rushing to the line to snap the ball as a form of that deception. Brady's comment at the press conference about studying the rule book was in response to Harbaugh's comment.

The Ineligible/eligible plays were called three times and from the time the ref. announced it until the ball was snapped there were 7, 10 and 9 seconds. Harbaugh should have been ready and when wasn't he should have called a timeout to align his defense appropriately.

That part may be true and I certainly do not have favorites with either team. I didn't fully explain myself earlier. I was referring to the following day he clarified himself about "his beef" with the situation. As his first initial rants were along the lines you suggested. Maybe he slept on it and decided his first comments made him sound like he didn't know the rules and was implying "cheating to win".

The name of the game is to win within the rules that what he gets paid to do. Brady and Belichick are the most successful Coach/QB in the last 15 years. There are no other coach or QB I would rather have.

That's fine. We are just explaining why everyone else hates the Pats.

I've been a Patriot fan since first following pro football and long before I spent a few years in Boston. Steve Grogan was the QB and he and those teams were fun to watch (at least I thought so). I think Chuck Fairbanks was the coach when I got to MA.

Still a fan and wish them good luck in their remaining game(s).

The name of the game is to win within the rules that's what he gets paid to do. Brady and Belichick are the most successful Coach/QB in the last 15 years. There are no other coach or QB I would rather have.

I don't have a problem with what he did in that last game. It was legal it was announced and the Ravens didn't react to it. Now it will be interesting to see what the Colts do when/if they come out with a similar formation. But I don't see how it's different from the Fumblerusky or any other "trick" plays that get run from time to time

That's not why I hate the Pats...I pretty much dislike any team out of the Boston area. It comes from my intense dislike for the Bruins :mad:. I was ok with the Red Sox when they were perpetual losers but not so much any more :greetings10:

And my point is as long as their fan base and their employers are happy with their results they are doing their job. They don't care whether you like them or not.

BTW they are the second most valued team in the NFL according to Forbes so apparently someone values their accomplishments.

The Business Of Football - Forbes

To the larger point of video-cam gate and other alleged abuses, yes, definitely scummy. I think that history is coloring the reaction to this latest "controversy". I've seen every team rush up to the line to snap the ball while the defense has 12 men on the field to get the penalty. No one complains about "not having time to react" there. Just because the Pats were the first to think of a new gimmick doesn't condemn them. "Belly-Check" certainly is unlikable, no doubt (unless you are a Pats fan).

To the larger point of video-cam gate and other alleged abuses, yes, definitely scummy. I think that history is coloring the reaction to this latest "controversy". I've seen every team rush up to the line to snap the ball while the defense has 12 men on the field to get the penalty. No one complains about "not having time to react" there. Just because the Pats were the first to think of a new gimmick doesn't condemn them. "Belly-Check" certainly is unlikable, no doubt (unless you are a Pats fan).

He does not have a likeable personality for sure and I can see why the non Pats fans don't like him but the objective person has to admit that he is a no nonsense guy that gets the most out of his players. His football IQ is second to none and his results speak for themselves. I'll bet that most of these haters, though they won't admit it, would love to have him coach their team.

He does not have a likeable personality for sure and I can see why the non Pats fans don't like him but the objective person has to admit that he is a no nonsense guy that gets the most out of his players. His football IQ is second to none and his results speak for themselves. I'll bet that most of these haters, though they won't admit it, would love to have him coach their team.

Being a bears fan, wish we had Belly as our coach. Could care less about his personality. If a coach leads his team to victory, that's all I care about.

Looks like we have Fox as our new coach.

I fully understand why the Pats and Belichick (he'll never live down Spygate) specifically have not endeared themselves to fans of other teams. No doubt Pats fans cringe at how media unfriendly they are, Belichick especially, though many sports-broadcasters often ask really stupid, predictable or unanswerable questions. Belichick certainly isn't the only NFL coach with disdain for the press, most of the others belittle the press where Belichick just says as little as possible - I guess that's worse in non fans eyes (don't know).

But it is funny how folks that dislike the Pats can't say it often enough. Please tell us again...ten times isn't enough.

Again I hope the Pats find a way to win the SB, but I agree it's the Seahawks to lose. Should be three great games from here no matter how they play out.

Last edited:
Seahawks look unstoppable. Remember that interview last year with Richard Sherman where he tells that ESPN guy, "I'm better at LIFE than you!" that guy cracks me up. He talks trash but backs it up, big time. Pats are definitely going, though. Just can't see Indy having enough weapons. Luck is getting better every year, though.

Seahawks look unstoppable. Remember that interview last year with Richard Sherman where he tells that ESPN guy, "I'm better at LIFE than you!" that guy cracks me up. He talks trash but backs it up, big time. Pats are definitely going, though. Just can't see Indy having enough weapons. Luck is getting better every year, though.

+1
I love Richard Sherman. Chancellor, and the rest of those guys. Yep, they are brash. Probably would dislike them greatly in real life if I was competing against them. But from a distance. They crack me up. And they back it up. They are good and they know it.

I'm no 12th man. Just admire confidence when its backed up.

Spoiler alert: Psyching myself up for Sunday's game with these clips:

1. Entertaining (at least to a Seahawks fan) Michael Bennett news conference. (Click on audio link on this page.)

2. And safety Earl Thomas, one of my faves on the team, isn't "buying" Aaron Rodgers's leg injury. :D But both Bennett and Thomas show respect for the Packers' QB.

3. Richard Sherman thanks Mean Joe Greene for his compliment of Seattle's defensive team.

4. Finally, a video of Kam Chancellor's greatest hits.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Being a bears fan, wish we had Belly as our coach. Could care less about his personality. If a coach leads his team to victory, that's all I care about.

Looks like we have Fox as our new coach.

John Fox is a good coach. The Bears will be better under him but he won't win you a SB. Made it to the big game twice with Carolina and Denver but could not win it.

Honestly, I am surprised that he still wants to coach after the heart condition he had last year. I guess the idea of an early retirement (he is only 59) is not appealing to him or he cannot afford it:LOL:

Even though I think the Hawks are likely to win it all, it's precisely because of all the bravado that I have a hard time "liking" them. Not that either they, or me, give a rat's assets...

Guess I prefer the strong, silent type. Must be my midwestern Protestant upbringing...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Even though I think the Hawks are likely to win it all, it's precisely because of all the bravado that I have a hard time "liking" them. Not that either they, or me, give a rat's assets...

Guess I prefer the strong, silent type. Must be my midwestern Protestant upbringing...
If you're the strong "silent type" the NFL fines you $100,000. Just ask Marshawn Lynch, if he'll talk to you. :cool:

If you're the strong "silent type" the NFL fines you $100,000. Just ask Marshawn Lynch, if he'll talk to you. :cool:

Perfect example, though. Not much to say, as he's dragging three defensive players down the field with him...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Based on everything I'm seeing and hearing, Sunday's game with the Packers is consuming this entire region! What fun entertainment!

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom