NFL: 2014 Season

Didn't both teams use the same set of balls?

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

One would expect they'd use the same balls.

There always seems to be some speculation on a reason other than skill, preparation, coaching and a bit of luck whenever the Pats win.

Sour grapes? General disdain of the folks in New England? Jealousy?

"They won again in another beatdown...they have to be cheating"

Last night's [-]game[/-] slaughter had as much to do with defense as throwing the ball.

I could be wrong but I think its the home teams responsibility to provide the balls. They balls get thrown in and out of play all the time and I assume the Pats ball boys could easily keep track of which balls to throw in when the Colts had the ball.

Now, is there any way that under-inflated balls thrown in now and then when the Colts had the ball determined the outcome? No way in hell, but its just another in a long list of examples of why people hate the Pats.

I could be wrong but I think its the home teams responsibility to provide the balls. They balls get thrown in and out of play all the time and I assume the Pats ball boys could easily keep track of which balls to throw in when the Colts had the ball.

But I'd also assume that it is up to the officials to insure that the balls are the right shape, size, weight etc.

In hockey the refs must check the nets for holes before the game.

IIRC, at last night's game the refs held up a play for a bit in order to get the proper ball on the field (kick-off balls are inflated differently than field balls).

I guess I was wrong. Both teams have 12 footballs before each game. The Pats are accused of taking some of the air out of their balls to make them easier to catch and throw after they were inspected

I guess I was wrong. Both teams have 12 footballs before each game. The Pats are accused of taking some of the air out of their balls to make them easier to catch and throw after they were inspected

Don't confuse us with facts!! :eek:

If this is found to be true, I wonder what someone like John Wooden would say?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The Pats haters are in their glory, never mind they don't have enough information to conclude anything. But that doesn't stop anyone these days from speculating without knowing what's factual, what's not and what's yet unknown. We'll know one of these days, or anyone willing to accept the NFL ruling will at least.

If a rule was broken, the Pats will be penalized, as it should be.

Last edited:
+1

I have to agree at this point in time.

I'd agree, sort of.

But more so, past performance does not guarantee future result.

Case in point, look at what happened to the Colts. They rolled over the Broncos but in turn got rolled over by the Patriots.

I'm really not a fan of the Patriots and I am certainly not a fan of the Seahawks. I'll admit the Seahawks were impressive the way they came back in the second half yesterday against the Packers and squeaked in an OT win. It was shocking!

The Partiots on the other hand dominated their game against the Colts as much as any team could.

As far as the SB, as they say "on any given day" any team could win. However, I do feel the Patriots will have the edge.

I'd agree, sort of.

But more so, past performance does not guarantee future result.

Case in point, look at what happened to the Colts. They rolled over the Broncos but in turn got rolled over by the Patriots.

Agreed. On any given day just about any NFL team can beat any another.

One thing I like about baseball playoffs is that there are multiple games played to decide each champ. One lucky game or one bad game can't decide an entire year. I realize perfectly well that is not possible in NFL football. Both teams would be cripples at the end of the playoffs. :(

Agreed. On any given day just about any NFL team can beat any another.

One thing I like about baseball playoffs is that there are multiple games played to decide each champ. One lucky game or one bad game can't decide an entire year. I realize perfectly well that is not possible in NFL football. Both teams would be cripples at the end of the playoffs. :(

One the other hand, nothing but 60 minutes of football, winner take all does have an attraction too. :)

It seems that Wilson is 10-0 against Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. 🏈

But, face it, he has yet to prove himself. 😱

Yeah, right.

As a Packer fan, I hope that Coach McCarthy and his genius DC Dom Capers get sacked tomorrow. Both of them grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

And I'm now a Patriot fan and hope Tom Brady stomps the hell out of the Sea Turkeys.

Like I said earlier, Belichick is a cheater. Always has been. Always will be. This is the third time hes been caught. I only wonder how many other times they've cheated and not been caught? The last time they were caught cheating, they were fined $500,000 and their first round draft pick was taken away from them. The NFL needs to strip them of their entire draft this season and ban Belichick for life. No matter what happens, the fans will always remember the 2004-2014 Patriots as cheaters and their records and Super Bowl wins will always be tainted.

Last edited:
There must be a mistake. Do the rules specifically say you can't modify the pressure after the balls are inspectected? I read TB's comments the week prior about reading the rule book, he did say maybe they'd have a new trick. I'm sure there must be an explanation.

I'm so disgusted with the league this year. Maybe it's time to become a football fan, the game the rest of the world plays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I don't like either team, but the lesser of two evils for me is the hawks.

11 of 12 balls under minimum psi sure doesn't sound good, but I will wait until the NFL says something formal. There are several ways it could happen, some the Pats would be responsible for, some not at all.

At least the Pats haters can repeat themselves another twenty times until then...

Like I said earlier, Belichick is a cheater. Always has been. Always will be. This is the third time hes been caught. I only wonder how many other times they've cheated and not been caught? The last time they were caught cheating, they were fined $500,000 and their first round draft pick was taken away from them. The NFL needs to strip them of their entire draft this season and ban Belichick for life. No matter what happens, the fans will always remember the 2004-2014 Patriots as cheaters and their records and Super Bowl wins will always be tainted.

As a PATS fan I am waiting for the final findings by the league and if they hold true then I will be disappointed by Belichick breaking the rules for the second time. They deserve to be penalized according to league rules but to say he should be banned from coaching for life:confused:?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom