NFL: 2014 Season

This should work...

I love it! Poor Tom must have made the mistake of getting advise from Favre over "phone issues". "Stonewall them Tom. I did and only got a 100 grand fine for failing to cooperate, whatever you do don't let them see the phone!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For once I'd like to see someone, TB in this case, stand in front of everyone, and admit to poor judgement, beg for forgiveness, and take the punishment.

As if...

For once I'd like to see someone, TB in this case, stand in front of everyone, and admit to poor judgement, beg for forgiveness, and take the punishment.

As if...

But...That would take the fun out of things :D

As if...
While I agree in broad principle, I'd be willing to bet Tom will have his punishment reduced or eliminated with the appeal, so...

We will see. But I am not looking for a back & forth, I'd rather just let the process take this wherever it leads. The league isn't any more credible than any team or player IMO - they're all just acting to maximize profits above all else.

Brady denies tampering. Another, some might argue better, quarterback admits it. “I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.” Aside from the rule-breaking admission, the Green Bay Packers QB’s preference for bigger footballs brings into question whether a lack of pressure provides an advantage or caters to a preference. Additionally, Fox’s cameras caught the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers heating balls this past season in frigid Minneapolis. NFL officiating guru Dean Blandino told the teams to knock it off. Rodgers has thus far escaped both the tongue lashing and the $25,000 fine. Rule 2, Section 1 states: “The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications…. the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.” This didn’t happen. “In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted,” Rule 2, Section 2 holds, “the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball.” This didn’t happen.

Last edited:
When the smoke clears, will be interesting to see if TB will be considered "Tom Shady" or "Teflon Tom" :)

Nobody should be surprised that Tom Brady has enlisted attorney Jeffrey Kessler as the embattled Patriots quarterback fights the mind-numbingly over-the-top suspension handed down by the National Football League.

When you’re in trouble, you get the best lawyer you can afford. In Brady’s case, price is no object. So he went out and hired Kessler, who has a sound track record when it comes to fighting the NFL.

It’s called lawyering up. In this case, it’s lawyering upscale. Hey, smoke ’em if you got ’em.

Buckley: Tom Brady has got a choice to make | Boston Herald

While I stand by my previous statement re: "owning up", I still think this was blown out of proportion, by "someone". I have no doubts that QBs around the league tend to prefer the ball inflated to their "spec", rules notwithstanding. And my own decidedly unscientific experiment with different pressures lead me to conclude that the grip and feel was only slightly different on balls inflated to the min and the max.

Still, TB taking the high road would at least lessen the stench caused by denial and excessive lawyering. No matter what your opinion of Brady, his career stats and successes speak for themselves, and I have strong doubts that his choice of air pressure has made much difference. A little humility would be refreshing...

I always wonder why these elite athletes feel the need to cheat, bend the rules, or whatever you want to call it. Nelson Cruz got suspended 50 games for taking HGH. He came back last season, assumingly without HGH in his system, and led the league in HRs with 40. This season he is leading again so far. Clearly he didn't need HGH and its obvious that Brady didnt need deflated balls either. There's no reason for it when you are already that good.

I don't particularly like the Pats or Brady, but I don't see how this would even remotely have affected the outcome. Seems like yet another NFL decision that is causing controversy, only this one is much ado about nothing.

That said, I am pretty happy with how the Cowboys draft went.

I don't particularly like the Pats or Brady, but I don't see how this would even remotely have affected the outcome. Seems like yet another NFL decision that is causing controversy, only this one is much ado about nothing.

That said, I am pretty happy with how the Cowboys draft went.

The Cowboys continue to draft and sign every problem child that comes along. There's a reason nobody drafted La'el Collins even though he was a projected 1st round pick. There's a reason why not a single other team wanted to sign Greg Hardy even though hes a pro bowl talent. Randy Gregory....Dez Bryant...Joseph Randle...the list goes on. We call this a pattern and it contributes to their lack of success.

The Cowboys continue to draft and sign every problem child that comes along. There's a reason nobody drafted La'el Collins even though he was a projected 1st round pick. There's a reason why not a single other team wanted to sign Greg Hardy even though hes a pro bowl talent. Randy Gregory....Dez Bryant...Joseph Randle...the list goes on. We call this a pattern and it contributes to their lack of success.

As to this years draft, I can agree with your sentiments regarding Gregory, but as to La'el, no way. The others you mentioned were not part of this year class, but certainly the Cowboys have not been shy to add bad boys, although I do suspect they do more than many other teams to give them opportunity and support to become better citizens, although that doesn't always work.

They just want to play "hardball" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

As Colin Kaepernick said: "There's no football that's going to get you 38 points in a game"

As Colin Kaepernick said: "There's no football that's going to get you 38 points in a game"

And no spying or Watergate break-in wins you 49 out of 50 states electoral votes so I guess Nixon really didn't do anything wrong....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

And no spying or Watergate break-in wins you 49 out of 50 states electoral votes so I guess Nixon really didn't do anything wrong....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Kaepernick is a great QB so I'd guess his opinion is an informed one.

Last edited:
An ESPN poll shows that 63% of all fans support the penalties dished out to Brady and the Pats. Of fans who called themselves "avid" fans, it was 73% in support of the punishments.

An ESPN poll shows that 63% of all fans support the penalties dished out to Brady and the Pats. Of fans who called themselves "avid" fans, it was 73% in support of the punishments.
Yeah, no pre-existing biases went into that poll. You don't care for the Patriots et al, we got that. :cool:

The New England Patriots are among the most hated teams and most popular teams in the NFL, according to a poll this week.

The Patriots, who play the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday, are second to only the Dallas Cowboys among teams fans hate the most, according to Public Policy Polling.

The top five: Cowboys (18 percent), Patriots (13), Chicago Bears (9), New York Giants (9) and Pittsburgh Steelers (9). The Pats were third on the list last year.

But the Patriots are almost among the most popular teams. When voters are asked to name their single favorite team: Packers (15 percent), Cowboys (13), Seahawks (10), Denver Broncos (9), Patriots (9) and Steelers (9).
Super Bowl 2015: Poll says New England Patriots second-most hated NFL team | syracuse.com

Last edited:
If the Pats are one of the most popular and the most hated, that should pretty much cancel out any bias in the poll shouldn't it?

They won 11 games with Cassel the season after going 16-0 with Brady. They went 12-4 with Brady last season. They clearly aren't as good as they were in 2007-2008.

They are probably going 1-3 without Brady. They play Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Dallas. Looking at their schedule, I would say they will go 8-4 when Brady gets back which puts them at 9-7 and not winning the division, but that's what makes sports so fun. Arguing and debating with your rival teams' fans.

That is more of a wishful thinking on your part. You're hoping they'll go 9-7.

Vegas' odds makers changed the line for the first game of the season against the Steelers from 7 points favored to 3.

Also the odds of the PATS winning the SB has not changed with the news of the Brady suspension. It remains at 8/1 which is 3rd after the Seahawks and Packers.

Last edited:
Well, they were #1 in Team Value not long ago, and may still have that distinction.

They still are #1 with the PATS at #2.

So the haters can hate all they want........ While Jerry and Robert laugh all the way to the bank :LOL:

All sports owners laugh all the way to the bank. All sports teams increase in value. That has nothing to do with winning and losing. The Pats have obviously been very successful while making money which is a win / win. The Cowboys haven't won anything in a very long time and in fact last time I checked they were something like 140-140 in the last 280 games. It doesn't get any more mediocre than that. So, yes, I'm sure Jerry is laughing every day, but if I was a Cowboy fan I would be pissed at how the team is run and there's no way I would pay to go to a game.

That is more of a wishful thinking on your part. You're hoping they'll go 9-7.

Vegas' odds makers changed the line for the first game of the season against the Steelers from 7 points favored to 3.

Also the odds of the PATS winning the SB has not changed with the news of the Brady suspension. It remains at 8/1 which is 3rd after the Seahawks and Packers.

The Pats / Steelers line has now dropped to around 2. Its 1 1/2 at some places. The Pats are now 10/1 to win the SB behind GB, Seattle and Indy (at least it is where Im looking)

I make a a lot of money betting on sports. I fully admit that I hate the Pats (and the Cowboys) but I win because I'm unbiased. I don't bet against a team because I hate them and I don't bet on my favorite team thinking they are better than they are just because I like them. You are what we call a "homer". You are blinded and cant see past your teams problems.

The over / under on total wins for the Pats stands at 10 most places. They probably would've gone 3-1 with Brady and now will most likely go 1-3. They went 12-4 last year. If they were just as good you would have to figure they would go 10-6 after losing 2 games because of Brady's suspension. Buy they aren't just as good as they were last year. They lost Revis and Browner and CB. They lost Vereen and Ridley at RB. Blount is also suspended for the first game I think it is.

If they win 10 games you should call it a great season.

All sports owners laugh all the way to the bank. All sports teams increase in value. That has nothing to do with winning and losing. The Pats have obviously been very successful while making money which is a win / win. The Cowboys haven't won anything in a very long time and in fact last time I checked they were something like 140-140 in the last 280 games. It doesn't get any more mediocre than that. So, yes, I'm sure Jerry is laughing every day, but if I was a Cowboy fan I would be pissed at how the team is run and there's no way I would pay to go to a game.

That's how I feel about Da Bears, who are probably even more mediocre than the Boys.

The Pats / Steelers line has now dropped to around 2. Its 1 1/2 at some places. The Pats are now 10/1 to win the SB behind GB, Seattle and Indy (at least it is where Im looking)

I make a a lot of money betting on sports. I fully admit that I hate the Pats (and the Cowboys) but I win because I'm unbiased. I don't bet against a team because I hate them and I don't bet on my favorite team thinking they are better than they are just because I like them. You are what we call a "homer". You are blinded and cant see past your teams problems.

The over / under on total wins for the Pats stands at 10 most places. They probably would've gone 3-1 with Brady and now will most likely go 1-3. They went 12-4 last year. If they were just as good you would have to figure they would go 10-6 after losing 2 games because of Brady's suspension. Buy they aren't just as good as they were last year. They lost Revis and Browner and CB. They lost Vereen and Ridley at RB. Blount is also suspended for the first game I think it is.

If they win 10 games you should call it a great season.

Being a little hard there Utrecht. Sports-betters (such as myself, also) forget the passion behind being a true fan. Remember a fan is short for fanatic and it shouldn't be any other way. That being said you certainly in the ballpark on season win total. The division is getting tougher and Pats cant count on 5-1 in division to boost that season total anymore.
FWIW, my NFL betting winnings increased greatly when I committed only to betting on season win totals, and only individual games on opposing teams that Clip Board Jesus (Charlie Whitehurst) starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom