NFL: 2014 Season

Oh, don't worry. I'm a football fanatic for sure. I have the DirecTV NFL package and don't leave my couch all day on Sunday. I just do my best not to let it sway me when I'm betting real money.

Same here. I don't become a fanatic until after my season win total investments have been purchased. I will be doing that next week in Vegas. Last year I was "fanatic" with Chargers, Steelers, Bears, and Lions losing only the Bears. Now on to 2-3 different teams this year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am a fan, and for me fan means supporting your local teams no matter what. Moved to TX in 93 from CT, and left behind my beloved Yankees and Giants and became a Rangers and Cowboys fan. Many frustrating years, but it's still fun to believe this will be the year.

As for placing bets, I rely on the stock market for that.

You are what we call a "homer". You are blinded and cant see past your teams problems.

I have been a PATS fan for the last 40 years. I lived through the years when my team was the laughing stock of the NFL but I am extremely grateful to Bill Belichick and Tom Brady for transforming the team into the most dominant team of the last 15 years. If winning 4 SBs and making it to 6 is a problem then I'm happy to have this problem anytime.

Since I know that teams don't stay dominant forever I am enjoying every single minute while you are spewing in your hate.....

I have been a PATS fan for the last 40 years. I lived through the years when my team was the laughing stock of the NFL but I am extremely grateful to Bill Belichick and Tom Brady for transforming the team into the most dominant team of the last 15 years. If winning 4 SBs and making it to 6 is a problem then I'm happy to have this problem anytime.

Since I know that teams don't stay dominant forever I am enjoying every single minute while you are spewing in your hate.....

My team is the Steelers. We've played in 8 Super Bowls and won 6 of them. That has nothing to do with how good the team is this year. Your team has problems THIS year.

My team is the Steelers. We've played in 8 Super Bowls and won 6 of them. That has nothing to do with how good the team is this year. Your team has problems THIS year.

I clearly stated the PATS have been the dominant team in the last 15 years.

As long as Brady is our QB even for 12 games and the other QBs in the division are EJ Manuel, Gino smith and Ryan Tannehill I'm not worried about NEXT year or the next few.

Last edited:
I enjoy sports, especially pro sports, because, after having played several sports badly, I realize just how good they are.

I wouldn't, however, say I'm a fan, as in fanatic, for any team. It's not like I'm cheering for my high school, manned or womanned by my friends and classmates. These are billionaire owners, and millionaire players, who mostly play for the highest bidder. Hard to call that a "home" team...

Someone suggested this scenario:

The NFL figured this wasn't really a big deal but after the Ray Rice debacle needed to show some spine, end the comments about being too cozy with Kraft and regain some air of authority. Too many people calling for Goodell's head.

They levy a 4 game suspension knowing that Brady would appeal and win.

Brady gets no suspension and maybe a fine.

NFL then looks like they're tough

Brady plays ball

Brady Files Appeal

Today Tom Brady, as expected, filed an appeal of his suspension and the Pats issued a 20,000-word response in which they say, in part, that the equipment guy who called himself the "Deflator" was only referring to his quest to lose weight. :facepalm:

BTW: it was mentioned on a local sports talk show yesterday that if the 4-game suspension stands, Brady loses $1.8M, and even with the $1M fine, the Pats come out ahead $800K they now don't have to pay him. And they still are the SB champs to boot!

Last edited:
I find it funny that people are defending Brady for NOT cooperating!!!

To me, this is worse than the deflation of the balls... since this is an internal NFL matter, he does not have to produce anything, but they can punish him as much as they want.. do not set a precedent allowing people to stonewall and then claim there is not evidence....

I clearly stated the PATS have been the dominant team in the last 15 years.

As long as Brady is our QB even for 12 games and the other QBs in the division are EJ Manuel, Gino smith and Ryan Tannehill I'm not worried about NEXT year or the next few.

You should be worried about Buffalo. They have a smothering defense that finished #3 last season. They had a weak offense but still went 9-7 with Kyle Orton at QB because their defense is THAT good. They've added offensive weapons at every skill position. LeSean McCoy at RB. Percy Harvin at WR and Charles Clay at TE. If / when EJ Manuel stinks, they also added Matt Cassel at QB who is at least as good as Kyle Orton. They've added talent all over the field while NE has lost talent. I hope your memories of the last 15 years keep you warm at night because NE's reign is over. I had this same discussion with a Cowboy fanatic 20 years ago and they still haven't won anything since then.

After this, you can have whatever last word you want. My next comment to you will be "I told you so" several months from now.

Y I hope your memories of the last 15 years keep you warm at night because NE's reign is over.

My next comment to you will be "I told you so" several months from now.

I actually have video of DW (a rabid Pats fan) saying these exact words in September of 2014. Honestly.

I don't know any other "dynasty" that had this many detractors. Not the Packers of the 1960s, not the Steelers of the 1970s, not the 49ers of the 1980s, not even the Cowboys of the early 1990s. Even when those teams were hated, they were more respected. So why so many "haters" here?

It's not just success, IMO, as much as many Boston fans want to make it about nothing but jealousy. Anyone who doesn't tow the New England line is dismissed, almost to a person, by Pats fans as "haters". It's also a demonstrated history of playing fast and loose with the rules. The irony is that Belichick is sometimes the architect of the cheating and the Wells Report indicated he probably had no knowledge of this. That said, those who know the relationships between a QB and the equipment folks don't question that, so I won't. They know better than I do.

As for Brady's suspension, sure, relative to the two weeks Ray Rice originally got, almost *every* punishment the NFL has ever given out since has been excessive in direct comparison. But come on, Rice was one miscarriage of NFL justice, ONE mistake. If we essentially say no one should get as much as what Ray Rice got if they did wasn't as "serious" as what Ray Rice did, everyone will be slapped on the wrist. Even steroid users, even drug offenders. Rice was an outlier, a mistake, and shouldn't be used to compare future punishments to.

I also think the large chip on the shoulder that Boston fans have, bolstered by the the embarrassing good fortunes their teams have had for nearly 15 years, have made their teams a bit of a target. And every time said fans dismiss everyone by merely saying they are jealous haters, they make it worse. But whatever... I suspect most Boston fans will take if they keep winning titles.

I hope your memories of the last 15 years keep you warm at night because NE's reign is over

Bill Belichick has not announced his retirement yet I don't think.

After this, you can have whatever last word you want. My next comment to you will be "I told you so" several months from now.

Hopefully we can discuss this next December/January without using the word "hate":greetings10:

Last edited:
You should be worried about Buffalo. They have a smothering defense that finished #3 last season. They had a weak offense but still went 9-7 with Kyle Orton at QB because their defense is THAT good. They've added offensive weapons at every skill position. LeSean McCoy at RB. Percy Harvin at WR and Charles Clay at TE. If / when EJ Manuel stinks, they also added Matt Cassel at QB who is at least as good as Kyle Orton. They've added talent all over the field while NE has lost talent. I hope your memories of the last 15 years keep you warm at night because NE's reign is over. I had this same discussion with a Cowboy fanatic 20 years ago and they still haven't won anything since then.

Bills season win total was set at 8.5 minus 110. It is on my radar for my 2015 selections. But the possible interest is certainly not for Percy Harvin. He hasnt done much but be hurt since Favre made him a name.

Buffalo has upgraded every offensive skill position and the only person they lost on defense was Kiko Alonso who they traded to get McCoy, but Alonso missed the entire season last year anyway so effectively they have the same defense. They also catch NE for one game without Brady. Betting the Over 8.5 is a no brainer.

Here's another example of NE playing fast and loose with the rules. LaGarrett Blount who was playing for the Steelers, walked out of a game without permission last season. He was cut the next day for insubordination. A few days later he signed with NE who he had played with the year before. It was well known that Blount was unhappy with his lack of playing time n Pittsburgh and regretted not resigning with NE.

Reporters starting speculating that the whole "walk off the field without permission" incident was orchestrated so he would get released and be able to resign with NE. When he was directly asked that question during an interview, he laughed and shrugged his shoulders, refusing to deny the rumor. Of course nobody was surprised. It was NE after all.

As for Brady's suspension, sure, relative to the two weeks Ray Rice originally got, almost *every* punishment the NFL has ever given out since has been excessive in direct comparison. But come on, Rice was one miscarriage of NFL justice, ONE mistake. If we essentially say no one should get as much as what Ray Rice got if they did wasn't as "serious" as what Ray Rice did, everyone will be slapped on the wrist. Even steroid users, even drug offenders. Rice was an outlier, a mistake, and shouldn't be used to compare future punishments to. ...
Another important factor is, from what I recall, Rice told the truth to the NFL, up front, before that elevator video became public. He cooperated. I think the NFL is taking Brady's "stonewalling" and lack of cooperation with their investigation very seriously.

Here's another example of NE playing fast and loose with the rules. LaGarrett Blount who was playing for the Steelers, walked out of a game without permission last season. He was cut the next day for insubordination. A few days later he signed with NE who he had played with the year before. It was well known that Blount was unhappy with his lack of playing time n Pittsburgh and regretted not resigning with NE.

Reporters starting speculating that the whole "walk off the field without permission" incident was orchestrated so he would get released and be able to resign with NE. When he was directly asked that question during an interview, he laughed and shrugged his shoulders, refusing to deny the rumor. Of course nobody was surprised. It was NE after all.

So what's your point?

The Steelers didn't have to cut him, they could have taken other disciplinary actions. Do you expect Blount to sit at home on his hands after he was cut when he had an opportunity to play?

Last edited:
... As for Brady's suspension, sure, relative to the two weeks Ray Rice originally got, almost *every* punishment the NFL has ever given out since has been excessive in direct comparison. But come on, Rice was one miscarriage of NFL justice, ONE mistake. If we essentially say no one should get as much as what Ray Rice got if they did wasn't as "serious" as what Ray Rice did, everyone will be slapped on the wrist. Even steroid users, even drug offenders. Rice was an outlier, a mistake, and shouldn't be used to compare future punishments to. ...
Another important factor is, from what I recall, Rice told the truth to the NFL, up front, before that elevator video became public. He cooperated. I think the NFL is taking Brady's "stonewalling" and lack of cooperation with their investigation very seriously.

Buffalo has upgraded every offensive skill position and the only person they lost on defense was Kiko Alonso who they traded to get McCoy, but Alonso missed the entire season last year anyway so effectively they have the same defense. They also catch NE for one game without Brady. Betting the Over 8.5 is a no brainer.

It is a very tempting bet and minus 110 is essentially a "non juiced line" compared to the Colts that are 10.5 over minus 170... Ridiculous juice... Their schedule is strong but not daunting. And the fans are ready. They had to cut off season ticket sales just to make sure they had individual game tickets for sale.

So what's your point?

The Steelers didn't have to cut him, they could have taken other disciplinary actions. Do you expect Blount to sit at home on his hands after he was cut when he had an opportunity to play?

You missed the point. The rumor, that Blount would not deny, is that his walking off the field without permission was orchestrated so he could get his release and that he had already worked out a contract with NE in advance.

Last edited:
So what? The Steelers cut him. They didn't have to.

It is AGAINST THE RULES to tamper with someone that is signed to a contract.... or even talk to them... heck, or even talk to the media about how much you would love them to be on your team...

So, if true then they broke the rules... IOW, cheated....

Agreed that meddle-ling is against the rules, but to my knowledge there are no instances where the Patriots talked to the media about how much they would love for Blount to be on the team or any proof that the Patriots talked to Blount inappropriately. I'm not aware that the Steelers are complaining about it at all. The only people complaining are the Patriot haters claiming some nefarious conspiracy. Just more jaw flapping by Patriots haters.

I think the facts are pretty simple. Blount's role with the Steelers wasn't working out for either party and he was unhappy about the number of touches he was getting... he inappropriately walked out in frustration... the Steelers decided they had had enough and cut him... the Patriots happened to have a need at that time and signed him.

Back
Top Bottom