NFL: 2019 Season

Where did AB go? Apparently someone cleared his locker out within a 15min timeframe between him changing and the media coming in. POOF Gone like the wind.

He went somewhere else, where he wouldn't have to talk with the media.

Since it was a smart move by a person not exactly known for being very smart, I'm guessing it wasn't necessarily his idea.

Last edited:
The Cleveland Browns play tonight...we'll see if they shored up their offensive line, so Mayfield isn't running for his life, and throwing errant balls again. Last week was a dumpster fire of a game for them, so they can only head upwards.

Yep. I feel like officiating is getting worse, not better.

And speaking of screwjobs, last night's game Wentz dives into the endzone for a 2 point conversion, and they ruled that he gave himself up and took back the two points. Because a year or two ago they changed the rules that a QB either sliding or going down headfirst was giving himself up. HOWEVER, he was diving into the endzone between two defensive players for a score. He most certainly wasn't giving himself up. Those two points ultimately may have cost us the game. Ugh.

That was an excellent game to watch! Hard nosed physical football. You don't see that as often anymore.

On the two point conversion, I get it, but do you really want refs trying to determine 'intent' on plays?

Last edited:
Did you see the Vikings game? They overturned a TD within the 2min automatic review. There was no flag prior to the automatic review. THEN they overturned it. and it was not an infraction so WE did get literally screwed. NO reasonable doubt that it was NOT a TD. I HATE GOODELL's officals!

Sure that wasn't the Aaron Rodgers playing on GB's home turf rule? :popcorn:

I didn't watch the game but heard about the overturn. The new rule opened up a can of worms over officiating now.

I watched the Broncos/Bears game where there three personal foul calls in which none of them should have been called at all. On one play, the defender was actually actually easing up, trying slowing let the offensive player land but got flagged anyhow. In another, a roughing the passer call was made on Denver during the Bears' final comeback drive. Even the radio Bears' broadcasters said the roughing call was baloney.

To the refs' credit, they did put 1 second left on the clock when the Denver scorekeeper and run the time down to zero. 1 second was enough for a winning FG :cool:.

Sure that wasn't the Aaron Rodgers playing on GB's home turf rule? :popcorn:

I didn't watch the game but heard about the overturn. The new rule opened up a can of worms over officiating now.

I watched the Broncos/Bears game where there three personal foul calls in which none of them should have been called at all. On one play, the defender was actually actually easing up, trying slowing let the offensive player land but got flagged anyhow. In another, a roughing the passer call was made on Denver during the Bears' final comeback drive. Even the radio Bears' broadcasters said the roughing call was baloney.

To the refs' credit, they did put 1 second left on the clock when the Denver scorekeeper and run the time down to zero. 1 second was enough for a winning FG :cool:.

Of course they always go soft on Aaron in our conference games. Guy can't even chug a beer properly lol. We had a nice facemask on him that they missed...so it does go both ways. I think they(refs) just keep remembering that Barr collarbone tackle...which happens in football but they over officiate because of it.

That was an excellent game to watch! Hard nosed physical football. You don't see that as often anymore.

On the two point conversion, I get it, but do you really want refs trying to determine 'intent' on plays?

It was a good game... But costly for both teams. It's been awhile since I've seen so many key players injured in one game.

Yes I would like them to determine intent. They had up until 2018, and I don't recall many issues with it. Or do away with diving head first as a way of giving oneself up. Keep with the feet first slide only. It has big impact on goal line plays.

Here's an article about it from last year when the rule change was implemented:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24277319/ball-spotted-first-touch-head-first-dives

This isn't about a team. It's about a person. You think AB's a good person? I'm an Eagles fan. When Vick was QBing for Philly, I wasn't under any illusion that he was a good person. If another team's fan would slam him, I wouldn't defend him. Why would I? Question is, why are you defending AB? For your team? Pfft.

Patriot fans do that. Tom Brady could throw a dead hooker at a baby and NE fandom will find a way to say the wind caused the collision.

Of course they always go soft on Aaron in our conference games. Guy can't even chug a beer properly lol. We had a nice facemask on him that they missed...so it does go both ways. I think they(refs) just keep remembering that Barr collarbone tackle...which happens in football but they over officiate because of it.

I'm not saying that Rodgers isn't the best QB (I know, the Brady factor), but I've noticed when watching games vs the Bears, the refs don't call delay of games when at times the clock does show zero for about a second or two. I guess this is like the no offensive fouls called in basketball for the superstars.

I am fascinated by how Buffalo, NYJets, Cleveland and Arizona all drafted QBs in 2018 (and a couple of teams I left off).

In 2019 Buffalo spent the off season retooling the OL (4 new starters) to protect their QB, plus added two WR (John Brown and Cole Beasley).

Cleveland focused on skill positions (Landry and OBJ), Jets focused on skill positions (Bell), and Arizona just zeroed out the 2018 draft and rebuilt again. When a team gets a young QB the OL is way more important than a WR which can catch.

Buffalo still has a long term hole at one of the tackle spots (our LT should be RT, and our RT is 34 yo). So there will likely be one more high draft pick there in 2020.

Other than that, I hope people realize Buffalo has one of the youngest teams in league (there are 4-5 older guys bringing the average up considerably). NE comes to town week 4, circle it, as Buffalo has not allowed a 300 yard passer in 33 games. They were flashing that stat yesterday during telecast and I did not realize how good the pass defense was... granted last time NE rushed for 270 yards against us, so there is that...

I thought the old rule was fine. If the QB slides, he is giving himself up and is down where he starts the slide. If he dives, then he is going for it like any runner.

It wouldn’t have mattered if Agholor had caught that sure TD pass. And what’s with Ertz running the 7 yard route on 4th and 8!

I thought the old rule was fine. If the QB slides, he is giving himself up and is down where he starts the slide. If he dives, then he is going for it like any runner.

It wouldn’t have mattered if Agholor had caught that sure TD pass. And what’s with Ertz running the 7 yard route on 4th and 8!

Agreed. I never saw the issue with the old rule. Oh well.

That last drive was SO painful to watch. Agholor drops a perfect pass. Sproles drops an easy pass. Ertz running the route short and not extending his arm enough on the 4th and 8. These are all solid guys who don't usually make these kinds of mistakes. I couldn't believe what I was watching. Maybe I need to stop watching football. :LOL:

It was a good game... But costly for both teams. It's been awhile since I've seen so many key players injured in one game.

Look no further than game one 2018 Falcons at Eagles. By the end of that game the Falcons had lost to IR these starters- Keanu Neal, Deon Jones, and Devonta Freeman (RB). Pass rusher Derick Shelby went out with a groin injury in that game as well. I think there was also an offensive line injury in that game but I couldnt quickly validate that information.

Yes I would like them to determine intent.

I would never want the refs doing anything but determining whether someone committed a penalty within the rules. I agree on changing the rule back so you can determine whether they are giving up or not. But within the rules you surely don't want the refs determining intent. I would be willing to bet some QB got hurt and might even have sued the NFL and that is how it ended up in a discussion in the off season rules committee.

Patriot fans do that. Tom Brady could throw a dead hooker at a baby and NE fandom will find a way to say the wind caused the collision.

Don't generalize....I'm a Pats fan who was against AB's acquisition when it happened even before these allegations because he's a bad person. As I stated before, as talented as he is the Patriots don't need him and his shenanigans to win another SB.

Last edited:
NE comes to town week 4, circle it, as Buffalo has not allowed a 300 yard passer in 33 games. They were flashing that stat yesterday during telecast and I did not realize how good the pass defense was... granted last time NE rushed for 270 yards against us, so there is that...

Looking forward to this matchup. Both teams could be undefeated after week 3 and it will be a good test for the Bills to see how they fare against the Pats. Our son in law who's a Bills fan is throwing a party for the game.

Other than that, I hope people realize Buffalo has one of the youngest teams in league (there are 4-5 older guys bringing the average up considerably). NE comes to town week 4, circle it, as Buffalo has not allowed a 300 yard passer in 33 games.

How many of those 33 games resulted in wins?

I do expect the Bills to be improved this year.

Last edited:
Other than that, I hope people realize Buffalo has one of the youngest teams in league (there are 4-5 older guys bringing the average up considerably). NE comes to town week 4, circle it, as Buffalo has not allowed a 300 yard passer in 33 games. They were flashing that stat yesterday during telecast and I did not realize how good the pass defense was... granted last time NE rushed for 270 yards against us, so there is that...
You sure you saw that correctly? The first game they played the Patriots last year, Brady had 324 yards passing, minus 13 for sacks 311 team total.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201810290buf.htm

That was the only game over 300 last year, but 2 the year before:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2017.htm

And it's not that meaningful if teams can beat you on the ground and run up enough of a lead to not have to pass too much.

Interesting article in today’s WSJ on 4th and short yardage situations. The quants seem to think going for the 1st down is often a better decision statistically.

“The strategy began well enough for the Steelers. Seattle fumbled, Pittsburgh quickly scored a touchdown and suddenly it was a two-point game with five minutes to play. But the Steelers never got the ball again since the Seahawks were willing to do what they weren’t. With two minutes left, the Seahawks went for it on fourth-and-1. They converted, and then they could bleed the clock to secure the win. “We all wanted to go for it,” Russell Wilson said.”

Last edited:
Can't read it due to the paywall, but I would bet against the quants on this one. Obviously if you are trying to run out the clock it might be a good choice, since the other team getting the ball on their 20 isn't that much less dangerous than getting it on your 45. But in regular play, getting 3 points or backing them up when they aren't running the 2 minute offense would pay off more often than not.

Not a quant, just a fan for ~60 years.

Hooray , my Browns won but ………………...some injuries that could hurt against the Rams this weekend.

Eli Watch

Speculation already about where Eli will land, should he get traded ...

On Tuesday morning, the Giants made it official: They're pulling the plug on veteran quarterback Eli Manning and turning things over to rookie Daniel Jones.

Essentially, this marks the end of an era for Manning and the Giants. Manning won two Super Bowls with the franchise. But it was obvious the end was near when the Giants used the No. 6 overall draft pick on Jones. Although Manning wasn't terrible in the first two games, the Giants are in full rebuild mode. So, it makes sense to go with Jones.

What does this mean for Manning? Well, he's always been a team player and has never made waves, so it's not hard to imagine him quietly sitting on the Giants' bench for the rest of the season and, then, gracefully retiring.

But there could be a surprise. Due to injuries or ineffective play, there are some teams out there that could be in the market for a veteran quarterback. Plus, given their current situation, the Giants would probably be thrilled if they could get a draft pick or two in exchange for Manning.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-potential-destinations/ar-AAHrejS?li=BBnba9I

from the article: "What does this mean for Manning? Well, he's always been a team player and has never made waves"

Except when he refused to play for the team that drafted him. Some of us remember that pout on draft day.

Last edited:
Except when he refused to play for the team that drafted him. Some of us remember that pout on draft day.

Just to clarify, not my words about Manning. I quoted from the article.

Back
Top Bottom