Oh, I deleted my Twitter account

I use it to track musicians and music venues So I don’t miss shows in my area or places i go on trips to. It’s pretty useful for that. I’ve tried other methods ( Bandsintown app etc ) and this seems to work the best. I also have a some friends across the world that I do hiking treks with and although it’s not ideal, it’s the most expedient way for everyone to communicate. In the end if you are on Facebook just to be on Facebook , then yeah, not much point.

Indeed, once you filter the BS, social media can be useful, informative, even enjoyable. Takes a pretty big filter though...

Indeed, once you filter the BS, social media can be useful, informative, even enjoyable. Takes a pretty big filter though...

+1
I went through the same process with FB too. Took awhile, but now my feed is mostly clean.

Most social media gives you the choice to edit, you just need to put in a little effort to make it what you want.

So it's just like when all the grandkids show up for the holidays? :cool:

Exactly! But without any of the love.:)

Twitter & Facebook are like public city council meetings. Lots of very loud people with righteous indignation. Folks that corner you and babble on about some upcoming catastrophe or conspiracy. Wild looks in their eyes. A few very smart people, but they’re hard to hear because everyone else is shouting.

FB Purity (used to be Social Fixer) eliminates a lot of the issues and ads on Facebook that standard ad blockers can't. It does a lot of other things, too. I used it to add some custom code to make the main feed column wider, but of course Farcebook changes things constantly. The developer is very good about updating it, though.

Last edited:
I'm on Facebook but that's it. Never sent a Tweet and don't plan to.

I find The Twitter to be very useful.
I don't care for Facebook, but find Twitter very useful as well. I don't tweet but follow a variety of people/organizations and learn a lot of interesting things from their tweets that I would not have heard about otherwise.

Exactly! But without any of the love.:)

Twitter & Facebook are like public city council meetings. Lots of very loud people with righteous indignation. Folks that corner you and babble on about some upcoming catastrophe or conspiracy. Wild looks in their eyes. A few very smart people, but they’re hard to hear because everyone else is shouting.
The "list" function allows you to curate exactly who you see (unless of course you read the comments [emoji16] ). It's very useful.

The "list" function allows you to curate exactly who you see (unless of course you read the comments [emoji16] ). It's very useful.

Reading the comments is a sure way to eliminate any and all faith you might have had in humanity. Although a fair amount is just a-holes trolling...

I sure there is some humble-brag on Twitter tweeting about how they deleted their early-retirement.org account.

Reading the comments is a sure way to eliminate any and all faith you might have had in humanity. Although a fair amount is just a-holes trolling...

It depends. If the community is small, it usually is very encouraging. If the account is more mass market focused, then you bring in the loon bags.

I've never had any social media accounts.

Though my late relative has become very opinionated on theirs lately. :)

I have a friend who has never texted. His grandmother never talked on a telephone her whole life. Guess it's inherited.

FB Purity (used to be Social Fixer)...

The two are entirely separate and always had been.

This is a Reddit response from Matt Kruse, the developer of Social Fixer, to a question of why he and the developer of FB Purity don't cooperate/collaborate:

I have reached out to Steve before about this, and he was not interested. Since then, I have observed his personality and the way he chooses to operate, and I don't want to partner with him on anything.

Never tried FBPurity but have used Social Fixer for years. Wouldn't [-]leave home[/-] click on Facebook without it.

https://socialfixer.com/
https://www.fbpurity.com/

Back
Top Bottom