Our national heritage is fast disappearing

Is it art or an eye sore.... I vote eye sore.

I think it is great. Better than the constant streams of billboards, strip malls and trailer parks.

Baseball players and steroids, Bret Farve retires, governors and party girls, my holdings keep going south, and now the icing on the cake..........airstream ranch must go? I don't think so. Rich needs to start a protest rally.

I've passed that thing many times. It's under the support of Bates' RV, a family owned, very funky RV store which has a huge inventory of Airstreams. The place is known for taking almost anything in trade for a new RV: cars, cycles, cows, land, industrial machinery, jewelry, etc.

I find it very entertaining, and kind of a statement (just haven't quite figured out what the statement might be).

i grew up in the upstairs portion of a house where my parents rarely ventured. mom was a very practical woman. meticulous in her own life, respectful of the space of others, she would only have a house where her children had their own space, separate from hers. though i'd sometimes find mom up there talking to my "whisper lamp", a then technically advanced early "clapper" system whereby the light turned on by noise and became brighter with more noise.

my brother's room was brown & tan and business-like but mine was psychedelic. painted a dark purple shade of black, i had glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling & funky glitter-painted murals on the walls, a cork wall with dartboard (some of the darts even made it to the target) and i made the oddest mobile "art" hanging everywhere.

one that i still get complementary comments on even today, that people still remember all these years later, was very simple. a coke can hung on light fishing line, tipped over, pouring out sparkling cotton down into a paper cup. as i was a latch-key kid, my house was the town party place and so lots of people played in my room. so some of them who i hadn't seen in 30 years mentioned that coke can at our high school reunion.

i myself hadn't thought of it in years. it was just one of the many odd things i did. yet it meant something to these people. it stayed in their minds for 30 years. it was just a coke can but it was suspended in mid air and pouring out candied cotton. it must have made them think then because it made them remember later. sure it's a little quirky, but that's art.

Lazy, you had an idyllic childhood.

peter pan never had it so good. home was where my runaway friends came to stay and from where i never wanted to leave. mom was a workaholic so i became independent early, yet life was so good at home i never really had to grow up.

today i find myself capable but immature.

OK, I'm hooked...how did you make the sparkling cotton??

hmmm, let's see. first you drop a, um, first you light up a um, uh, it's a secret family recipe.

I think it is great. Better than the constant streams of billboards, strip malls and trailer parks.

I like it too! I was at the Cadillac Ranch in '06, and found it kinda neat also! I've joked about doing something like that with old lawnmowers.....or even doing 'lawnmower henge'. :rolleyes:

It's certainly doesn't seem to be hurting anybody, and it seems the only ones that it's really p*ssing off are the County officials....so I say leave it be! Let the gubmint get their own house's in order before they start sticking their (unwanted) noses into other peoples' business!

We have a county 'environmental inspector' that's always sticking his nose into things that don't concern him. He was snooping around the farm of a friend of mine, unannounced & uninvited, and totally ignoring the "No Trespassing" signs. My friend asked him who he was, and what he thought he was doing, and the guy replied that he was Mr. So-and-so the County inspector, and he was going to look around a bit. My friend told him that he didn't care if he Jesus Christ incarnate, and that he was trespassing on private land and if he didn't vacate the premises post-haste, he'd be leaving handcuffed in the sheriff's car. He refused to leave, the sheriff was called, and the dumb@ss county inspector was arrested for trespass. That wasn't the first (or last) time that he got nailed for trespassing.

I think the gubmint could cut some wasteful spending by cutting out a few of these pea-brained 'inspectors' that have crawled a shore from the shallow end of the gene-pool. If there is a clear and present danger or health hazard, fine, deal with it. But if it's just somebody doing something unique and/or humorous.....then get a life, and leave it alone! :rant:

The Bates' family ought to try to get a Federal grant for their 'artistic' endeavor.....that would pretty much lock the county out of the whole affair. :D

Back
Top Bottom